What is the sign for Awesome?

Shandalier27

Reaction score
I am just learning sign language, and I am having trouble finding out what the sign for awesome is. Please help. Thank you.

Check out www.aslpro.com .

There are various forms for "awesome" so it depends on the context that you are using.

FreeWoman77,

All you need is to use one hand as a flated hand and bending your fingers a little bit. Then put your hands forward to the face and shaking it gently while you can use your facial expression at the same time that is awesome. It s ASL not English language. Just let me know if you have a question then I ll be glad to help you out. Just send me in private message. ;)

Hope it clears up for you.

Have a wonderful day! ;)
Sweetmind

When I say, "Awesome," I use a "5" handshape with the thumb on my chest, and wave other 4 fingers. Kinda like when you're signing, "Fine," but you wave the four fingers. But I think the sign for awesome can change depending on the context. What Sweetmind described also sounds right to me. I use that, too. :D

I agree with liza, its thumb the heart 4 wave that is called awesome.

HTH

Duncan

FreeWoman77 said:
SweetMind and Reba, there no awesome sign :(
You can use the signs for "AWE" or "WONDERFUL"; it depends on your context.

You aren't going to find one "sign" for every English word. You have to chose the sign that fits the concept (meaning) that you want, not the English word.

When I say, "Awesome," I use a "5" handshape with the thumb on my chest, and wave other 4 fingers. Kinda like when you're signing, "Fine," but you wave the four fingers. But I think the sign for awesome can change depending on the context. What Sweetmind described also sounds right to me. I use that, too.

*LOL* a flated hand which means a whole hand. so therefore it has 5 fingers as well as u learned to count the numbers from those fingers. Why fuss about it? No it isnt four fingers anyway unless you have a deformed finger or thumb or cut it off the finger or thumb that would be a different story.

Yes, thats correct but however dont forget to bend the fingers a little bit while u are waving it as awesome in the opposide side of ur hand. I mean those fingers has to be confronted toward the facial area. ;) it doesnt have to be on the facial area only but it can be more than just having it toward ur facial area.

Also, it s all depend on what ur reaction feelings are while you and other person talks about. It can be anywhere between the waist and the top of the head. Its also showing a body language and facial expression altogether that shows your own thinking or feelings to it. Like a little awesome/wow or medium awesome/wow or huge awesome/wow..

I hope you understand my explaination for ASL itself.

Smile!
Sweetmind

Last edited:
great : "used to express surprise, admiration, or contempt, esp. in exclamations : you great oaf!"

wonderful: "inspiring delight, pleasure, or admiration; extremely good; marvelous : they all think she's wonderful | the climate was wonderful all the year round."

awesome: "extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear : the awesome power of the atomic bomb. • informal extremely good; excellent : the band is truly awesome"

Great/Wonderful are the similar in ASL, however awesome is much different meaning in ASL. That s why many d/Deaf children get a gutter languages that does not fit into a meaning for that word from the artificial languages. Thats when it screwed up every d/Deaf children 's english written.

It is very important for those d/Deaf children get the concept of language and using their hands to communicate with that helps them to understand and see the difference between ASL and Signed English. Then u can teach them how to learn to spell the right word and describe of meanings for that word to fit into a sentence and use orally speaking with a fun game, not pushing them into it for your sakes. Just give them a oral survival kit that will not feel resist for any reason. Dont except them use the orally speaking for you 100 percent.. It has to have two way streets with or without orally speaking. So it s equally for Hearing and Deaf people altogether as well as for d/Deaf childre and their parents. ;).

Thats our d/Deaf children s right to have a good education with ASL / SE as well as it s BI BI language. ;) Dont make them to use their ears to listen or orally speaking alone that is how deafies missed out so much all those years from the early age. They are behind their language all along before enroll school. They dont know nothing until they learn ASL which is totally unfair for those natural d/Deaf children s needs.

Have a good day! ;)

Sweetmind

thanks everyone above, I used to sign as WOW, wrong? I just copied from some people in other city, recently moved here, in small town, few deaf ppl out here they more likely are oral/lipreading and spelling :/

Reba said:
You can use the signs for "AWE" or "WONDERFUL"; it depends on your context.

You aren't going to find one "sign" for every English word. You have to chose the sign that fits the concept (meaning) that you want, not the English word.
Yeah, that's where most hearies who learn ASL stumble.

I tried looking for signs for every word when I started, but once I understood that ASL is a conceptual language, I realized how much easier it is....

The facial expression and body language will often show the specific meaning you want too.

FreeWoman77 said:
thanks everyone above, I used to sign as WOW, wrong? I just copied from some people in other city, recently moved here, in small town, few deaf ppl out here they more likely are oral/lipreading and spelling :/
Well, signing WOW isn't wrong if you mean "Great!" or "wonderful" or "good" since those are synonyms of "awesome". However, if you mean "wonder", you're probably better off signing "wonder".

HTH

Malfoyish said:
Would it be similar or the same sign as "GREAT" or "WONDERFUL?"
Yeah, It would. I can read lips really well. When they signed that, I'd know what word they're using. It doesn't really matter what sign language they use to me.

Back