For new hearing parents... A positive story.

neecy said:
means it stays(sticks) at the top of the forum list - if you look at the list of topics http://www.alldeaf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 you will see "sticky" then the name of this thread. It simply keeps it from getting lost as newer posts are made.

ah! thank you, neecy! :ty: now i can understand why -- this is such a good topic not to get lost!

Cloggy said:
It is a long read and I'm glad you are enjoying it...

haven't yet resumed reading it due to having a housefull of children and grandchildren that should have moved out! LOL (but i love them anyway!)

Roadrunner said:
You couldn't have posted it any better-- ;)

Thank you kindly for giving such an explanation....

~RR

my pleasure! :cheers:

greema said:
haven't yet resumed reading it due to having a housefull of children and grandchildren that should have moved out! LOL (but i love them anyway!)
:) You haven't kicked Fragmenter out yet??? :)

:) He must have too good a life with you... Don't spoil him... kick him OUT! :)

ha ha, not fragmenter LOL -- he lives hundreds miles away and i am SO thankful for a VP (videophone) -- we get to chat a few times a week and we can "see" our grandchildren -- the same with our youngest who lives further away -- i try to "see" her everyday
i have 4 children and the 2nd one moved back in with us with her 2 kids

Are you happy because your daughter functions like a hearing person?

This article explains people who don't want a deaf child and use blasphemy to convince then that it's OK.

Leo is the smarter of the two parents. He seems to have more of a grasp on the cultural situation. Shirley views her son as a pair of broken ears. :pissed:

gnulinuxman said:
Are you happy because your daughter functions like a hearing person?

This article explains people who don't want a deaf child and use blasphemy to convince then that it's OK.

Leo is the smarter of the two parents. He seems to have more of a grasp on the cultural situation. Shirley views her son as a pair of broken ears. :pissed:
You know, You're very welcome to post here. Any views are welcome.
But this kind of use of language is really not appreciated.

If you cannot use normal language, just don't use any at all.

From your remark it shows that you have not reat the article, and that you are just posting to have your voice heared.

If I'm wrong, just show that with a post that actually is constructive and ask the moderator to remove your previous one.
So there's your challenge: Read the -complete- article and write a constructive post. Positive or negative... as long as it is constructive!

gnulinuxman said:

Then you read the article with a biased opinion. Leo wasn't any smarter than his wife nor was the shrink the smartest one of all.

The article, to me, says that the parents have the right to make their own decision independent of outside influence.

Cloggy said:
You know, You're very welcome to post here. Any views are welcome.
But this kind of use of language is really not appreciated.

If you cannot use normal language, just don't use any at all.

From your remark it shows that you have not reat the article, and that you are just posting to have your voice heared.

If I'm wrong, just show that with a post that actually is constructive and ask the moderator to remove your previous one.
So there's your challenge: Read the -complete- article and write a constructive post. Positive or negative... as long as it is constructive!

I'm shocked that got a slap on the wrist. I see PLENTY worse on here all the time. I dont understand what isn't "normal language" in that post.

vrsterp said:
I'm shocked that got a slap on the wrist. I see PLENTY worse on here all the time. I dont understand what isn't "normal language" in that post.

There is. In a way it's part of a discussion. When opinions differ, attitude might be forgoten. I know the feeling.
That it has happened before is no excuse to have it happening again. (And I'm sure it will happen again. And that's fine. Sometimes it's a nice way to vent feelings.)

And here, in this topic, I will try to confront people with it. That should be a good thing.

I'll make my remarks on the post I thought was inappropriate. If you feel I'm wrong, don't hesitate to put it down.

gnulinuxman said:
Are you happy because your daughter functions like a hearing person? His opening line! It is a remark that is totally off topic and contributes to nothing. The only thing that it might do is provoke me. After all, why would he bring my daughter in here?

This article explains people who don't want a deaf child and use blasphemy to convince then that it's OK.The article shows a proces. Where's the blasphemy? Again a word to start a discussion. Nothing else. The remark is not supported with anything.

Leo is the smarter of the two parents. He seems to have more of a grasp on the cultural situation. Shirley views her son as a pair of broken ears. :pissed:The characters evolve in the article. Views change. GNU's remark shows that he read the first couple of pages. And the remark regarding the mother of the child is a direct insult towards her and therefore hearing parents of deaf children.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find any constructive remark in his post. Just insults and provocation.

But you might disagree with it.

Little value

gnulinuxman
What is wrong with letting a deaf child grow up deaf?

There is no possible way for your to even comprehend the answer to that kind of question until you have a deaf child of your own. Your pompus over blown contributions are of no value. You continue to flounder.

Cloggy said:
There is. In a way it's part of a discussion. When opinions differ, attitude might be forgoten. I know the feeling.
That it has happened before is no excuse to have it happening again. (And I'm sure it will happen again. And that's fine. Sometimes it's a nice way to vent feelings.)

And here, in this topic, I will try to confront people with it. That should be a good thing.

I'll make my remarks on the post I thought was inappropriate. If you feel I'm wrong, don't hesitate to put it down.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find any constructive remark in his post. Just insults and provocation.

But you might disagree with it.

Okay. Well, I won't argue with you. Most of the posts on this entire forum are just insults and provocation. Very few are constructive. All I saw was that someone disagreed with you and got a slap on the wrist for it. That's fine. I was just wondering.

vrsterp said:
Okay. Well, I won't argue with you. Most of the posts on this entire forum are just insults and provocation. Very few are constructive. All I saw was that someone disagreed with you and got a slap on the wrist for it. That's fine. I was just wondering.
Not arguing. Just asked if you agreed.
You are right. SOme topics contain a lot of insults and provocation.
I felt that this could be a constructive one...

But you were right to ask me about the "slap on the wrist". I hope you will continue asking those questions, because that's how we can keep it constructive.

So, thanks.

vrsterp said:
All I saw was that someone disagreed with you and got a slap on the wrist for it.

Ok, please elaborate on that -- did you agree with the "constructive disagreement"?

Bia$ much?

gnulinuxman said:
What is wrong with letting a deaf child grow up deaf?

No one here thinks that there is anything wrong with a deaf child growing up deaf. With a CI the child will still be deaf. What everyone is in favour of is increasing a deaf child's tool box for future self determination.

Making lots of straw men seems to be your style of debate. On one hand you claim that we claim CI's are perfect and then on the other you suggest that the child with a CI won't be deaf anymore. Take your pick.

R2D2 said:
No one here thinks that there is anything wrong with a deaf child growing up deaf. With a CI the child will still be deaf. What everyone is in favour of is increasing a deaf child's tool box for future self determination.

Making lots of straw men seems to be your style of debate. On one hand you claim that we claim CI's are perfect and then on the other you suggest that the child with a CI won't be deaf anymore. Take your pick.

Your "With a CI the child will still be deaf. What everyone is in favor of is increasing a deaf child's tool box for future self determination." really hit home witih me. When Fragmenter first brought up the CI for our grandson I was straddling a fence wondering which way to go and when he said that his son will STILL be deaf, and that they wanted to give him more TOOLS -- man, that really hit home for me. I really do not understand why the Deaf are so against CI. Jealous? Fear of the unknown? Selfish?

Wow, great discussions I have been seeing and joining in for the past month. I salute those loving parents who are doing what they feel is the best for their children. They are giving their beloved children the WORLD! Hats off to you parents! And please IGNORE those ignoramous ranting people! They will be left spinning their wheels and not going anywhere while your children will have the world by the tail.

Back