4 wheel drive problems

AndyE9503

Reaction score
Ok I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is giving me some problems. Every time I use the 4 wheel drive it gets stuck and won't come out and go back into 2 wheel drive. It will pop out after driving with the gear lever in 2 wheel drive for a while. Anyone else have this happen to them? If so how did you get it fixed?

Try make sharp circles. I have similiar problems, and because of its age, I don't bother get it fixed. Its not a big deal because I don't throw in 4x4 often.

Ok I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is giving me some problems. Every time I use the 4 wheel drive it gets stuck and won't come out and go back into 2 wheel drive. It will pop out after driving with the gear lever in 2 wheel drive for a while. Anyone else have this happen to them? If so how did you get it fixed?

Sound likes your transfer case need to rebuild.

Good thing I pick AWD over 4x4 for less problem.

This might be simple but.. you check if the 4x4 fuse is blown?

message from someone who disgusts me because you most likely have the same jeep that he has. transfer case - all manual.

transfer case. I'd suggest to lubricate it. the linkages. and replace transfer case fluid. either that or back it up a few feet and see if it shifts into 2wd easier. I wouldn't do the sharp curves. that is very bad on the front axle.

Sound likes your transfer case need to rebuild.

Good thing I pick AWD over 4x4 for less problem.

Mine is 4x4, AWD and 2 wheel. I hope I don't have to rebuild it. Not enough money in the bank account

message from someone who disgusts me because you most likely have the same jeep that he has. transfer case - all manual.

I will have to start here just cause it looks the cheapest

Try make sharp circles. I have similiar problems, and because of its age, I don't bother get it fixed. Its not a big deal because I don't throw in 4x4 often.

I don't use the 4x4 much either, but with me moving to Rochester NY next year I want it working for the snow

Oh moving in my neighborhood? makes sense.

I know sharp turns is bad, that is worse if doing it often. If it does not happen often then no big deal.

Curious why moving up here? RIT?

I don't use the 4x4 much either, but with me moving to Rochester NY next year I want it working for the snow

Oh moving in my neighborhood? makes sense.

I know sharp turns is bad, that is worse if doing it often. If it does not happen often then no big deal.

Curious why moving up here? RIT?

Yep. I was in town last sunday and monday to check out the school. Looks like an area I can get into. I saw lots of people with kayaks on their cars, plenty of bike paths and a lot of fishing areas to check out.

Yup! Plus ski resorts nearby, and other activities too.

Yep. I was in town last sunday and monday to check out the school. Looks like an area I can get into. I saw lots of people with kayaks on their cars, plenty of bike paths and a lot of fishing areas to check out.

Mine is 4x4, AWD and 2 wheel. I hope I don't have to rebuild it. Not enough money in the bank account

I rebuilt the electrical transfer case and mechanical transfer case before and both are almost same policy but lever and electric for switch. They are pretty easy than manual transmission. They are not really expensive for part.

How many miles you have on your Jeep?

4x4 (4WD) and AWD are different types. AWD comes direct from transmission. AWD is much more fuel-efficient, requires less maintenance work, and has higher performance than vehicles with 4WD. Most AWD vehicles are around 25MPG and most 4WD vehicles are only 15 MPG.

My Subaru always full-time AWD for 9 years or 130k miles and no problem with AWD system and perfect for bad weather but no pull/push (I won't recommend for that.)

4WD has high torque that would be good for pulling heavy objects such as construction, farming, and driving through rocky terrain. 4WDs have high torque that can pull heavy trailers and use snow plows but high maintenance work for it will easily break down.

I rebuilt the electrical transfer case and mechanical transfer case before and both are almost same policy but lever and electric for switch. They are pretty easy than manual transmission. They are not really expensive for part.

4x4 (4WD) and AWD are different types. AWD comes direct from transmission. AWD is much more fuel-efficient, requires less maintenance work, and has higher performance than vehicles with 4WD. Most AWD vehicles are around 25MPG and most 4WD vehicles are only 15 MPG.

My Subaru always full-time AWD for 9 years or 130k miles and no problem with AWD system and perfect for bad weather but no pull/push (I won't recommend for that.)

4WD has high torque that would be good for pulling heavy objects such as construction, farming, and driving through rocky terrain. 4WDs have high torque that can pull heavy trailers and use snow plows but high maintenance work for it will easily break down.
Are you helping the OP or just talking about your opinions on 4x4 and AWD?

Are you helping the OP or just talking about your opinions on 4x4 and AWD?

OP? I just want to help him and I want him to be understand what's different between AWD and 4x4 since he think he have AWD and 2x2.

I got 157,000 miles on it. Oil changes and basic tune-ups are the limits of my mechanical skills. If you know were I can get instructions on how to rebuild I will check it out and see if I think I can do it

My explaination may be too simple. I have 2WD, 4 part time, 4 all time and 4L. A buddy of mine told me 4 all time works like AWD

If youve never gotten into something like that before I wouldnt tear into it without someone who has.

I got 157,000 miles on it. Oil changes and basic tune-ups are the limits of my mechanical skills. If you know were I can get instructions on how to rebuild I will check it out and see if I think I can do it

My explaination may be too simple. I have 2WD, 4 part time, 4 all time and 4L. A buddy of mine told me 4 all time works like AWD

First, We need to diagnose what's exactly problem with it.

Try this.
AutoMD - Your Auto Repair Advisors

I learned that from class and it's free. I never tried it before. I use alldata.com.

Hi, Andy, Try Transfer Case Service, see Jiro' post #6.
Did you see any red ATF leaks from a transfer case? If so, check oil level in a transfer case and also take a look at the shifting linkages if you can.
If everything ok is you might be in trouble with a sick transfer case per Highlander' post#3.
Sorry, I'm no 4X4 expert however I did reseal Jeep's transfer cases few times. The reseal job is to remove the transfer case from transmission, separate the transfer case halves, clean old RTV sealer and replace shaft seals and apply final fresh RTV sealer on the mating surfaces {halves). I dont clean the gears or shift levers or forks inside the case cuz they use red ATF. Easy money. Hope it will help (read Jiro's post again again)

Back