Deaf State?

Rochester is a small town, which I don't want to live. I'm city person, I live 5 min away from DC, and here have so many deaf events for me to attend.

Oh, I see why. Surely, there are many deaf students at Gallaudet University. Glad that you enjoyed living in the city. Stay young and don't spoil yourself in parties. I visited DC several times and went to the Metro subways 16 years ago - wow a lot of people on the trains. A few things were changed. I left a subway in the evening. There was a shooting at a train station in five minutes later according in a newspaper. Perhaps, you would live in a small country when you turns 70 years old. A nursing home is a nightmare for many elders. I am lucky that someone takes care of me at home, and it makes me a peaceful mind. I'll give this person my house after I am gone in the heaven. Money is no important to me. I think that you know why.

Yes there are many people in the Deaf community in the Baltimore-Washington area. My mother works for the Federal Government in Baltimore City and she attended school in Frederick. When we were at the ASL expo a few weeks ago in Frederick, there were thousands of people there. It's definitely great having so many people nearby so we can have many Deaf events for socializing.

St. Augustine, Florida is also a deaf town, largest deaf populations I've met many different deaf people that came up to our BBQ show every year and there's a Florida School for the Deaf and Blind right there. ;)

There's been talk for several years now of establishing a "deaf town" somewhere in South Dakota but that was recently dropped and another one is being looked at somewhere in the great State of Indiana. And, no, that wouldn't be a place for me.....to visit, sure but that's it.

I wouldnt move to either places cuz no family there. If I am going to move to another state, it will be back to Arizona due to my family being there. My hubby's family lives here in MD.

Regarding the deaf town in Israel-- it is the subject of a new book: "Talking Hands" by Margalit Fox. Carol Padden is one of the researchers who studied this town.

Too bad Martha Vinyard stopped having a deaf town. I would have move there since it is a beautiful place. I grew up on Cape Cod, Mass and I can see Martha Vinyard from the beach. :D

I wouldn't want to live there as I would miss some of hearing people but I would visit there alot. Where I used to come from, Vancouver Washington, there was ALOT deaf people there and we would get together with deaf people in Portland, Oregon and have gatherings/events. That was pretty neat and nice, I do miss that. But I wouldn't want to live in Deaf town as it'll be kinda hard and it would be odd not to have hearing people around.

However Deaf town does sound neat.

While I think it's an interesting concept, I don't particularly -agree- with it. Why? We demand equal rights. We demand the ability to live wherever and be capable of working and enjoying life in the smallest town and largest city. You cannot ask to become a part of society and run away to your isolated culture when you finally get that. Equal rights mean nothing if we don't use them- if we don't force people to let us 'be' anywhere.

While I think it's an interesting concept, I don't particularly -agree- with it. Why? We demand equal rights. We demand the ability to live wherever and be capable of working and enjoying life in the smallest town and largest city. You cannot ask to become a part of society and run away to your isolated culture when you finally get that. Equal rights mean nothing if we don't use them- if we don't force people to let us 'be' anywhere.

I can see your point. I just want a safe haven for the deaf people for now.

:eek3::eek3:

Same here in Virginia and I totally agree with the statments about women protecting themselves against crimes. Crimes "do" happens anywhere in the states, countires or towns. :)

I grew up in Richmond, Va and it had one of the highest murder rates in the late 80 and early 90's and yeah it can happen anywhere.

I recall a whole family who lived across the street from me going to jail for the 4th largest mortage fraud in VA and the boy next door died of a crack (yes, crack. you heard me correctly.) over dose. I remember one phamanist and owner of a drug store in my neighborhood going to jail for selling heroin on the side. My best friend's mother was murdered in my old neighborhood.

Did I grow up in Blackwell or south Richmond? NO. I grew up in the West End/Far West End section. My old home is only 500 feet away from the new River road bridge over the Paraham-Chippenham Parkway.

Back