For new hearing parents... A positive story.

Cloggy

Reaction score
For those new, and looking for information...
I am the father of three children. The youngest (now almost 4 years old) was born deaf and got has bi-lateral CI in november 2004.
There is no deafness in my family, so deafness was unfamiliar territory for me and the rest of the family (and friends)

The following article is long. When I found it on the web, I had to sit down, and read it.

But it's a beautiful story with excellent angles.

Often hearing parents are told that they "just jump at the opportunity to fix the ears" wheras from my experience and from this article - I know it normally is not like that.

Anyway, follow the link and enjoy the read.

From the article...
http://www.michaelharvey-phd.com/pages/god%20implant.htmThis article describes some psychological and ethical considerations when providing family therapy for parents who are considering cochlear implantation for their deaf/hard-of-hearing child. Common couples' dynamics, multi-level criteria of informed consent, therapist bias and intervention strategies are illustrated. The clinical vignette of 8-year old Tommy and his family is largely factual with enough changes to disguise the participants' identities. I took more creative liberties narrating my daydream in order to best illustrate the relevant impacts of the pathological and culturally affirmative models.

I read this article and it applies to everyone here in one fell swoop. It won't give you a "yes or no" answer about cochlear implants in children. But it will make you think... and that is always a wonderful thing!

Decisions for your children are not easy and implanting children is not the easy way out for the parents. This article should prove that parents are sensitive to the deaf community and they don't swallow doctors' advice hook, sinker and line (<--- that is an idiom).

Yes...the articles shows that many parents do weigh up all the issues and don't get a CI just at the drop of a hat. It is an honest and frank consideration of all the issues...I agree with Frag it would be nice to see this stickied.

Great articles!!! I agree too it should be stickied - it goes to show that parents don't just automatically go to "fix broken ears" without lots of investigation, and education beforehand!

Nice read and long though and I had no idea it could so complicated. My decision for myself (including my family) was quite simple in comparison.

Fragmenter said:
Welcome to my world ;)

I can only imagine it would be...very complicated.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons (not the only one of course) I did it was my wife saying to me "You gotta do this for your family and yourself...it will be one the best things you ever done in your life". Now {dryly}, if that doesn't simplify things... :D

Safe on Third!

The article certainly covers the bases.

I struggle with the entire "ASL natural language" business, it is "natural" for humans to voice. The "deaf culture stuff": children belong with their family culture. When you raise a child, you work towards making them independant and able to make their way out in the world. To raise a child dependant on others for "interpretation", simply doesn't cut it for me.

The arguement that the CI complanies are only doing this to make money....oh please.... anyone ever thought just How Much Money the ASL Powers make. *sheesh*

People like Ben Bahan, Matthew Moore, Harlan Lane etc. do you think they wish their families could read and write at only a grade four level? I think not!

hmmmmmm I am still thinking.... :)

cloggy, thanks for posting the link (i started reading it at work today and still am on the 3rd page and it sounds very interesting so far) and fragmenter, thanks for bringing it to my attention

greema said:
cloggy, thanks for posting the link (i started reading it at work today and still am on the 3rd page and it sounds very interesting so far) and fragmenter, thanks for bringing it to my attention
It is a long read and I'm glad you are enjoying it...

Roadrunner said:
You couldn't have posted it any better-- ;)

Thank you kindly for giving such an explanation....

~RR
Roadrunner,

Thanks for putting the "stickie" on. Great feature!

long reading .. but good explantions..and yes very clear.. thanks for the link. :) hope you didnt mind but i did got the link and passed along to my friends so they can read this. :)

SmileyGin said:
long reading .. but good explantions..and yes very clear.. thanks for the link. :) hope you didnt mind but i did got the link and passed along to my friends so they can read this. :)
That's why I posted it here and that's why the moderator thought it was important enough to keep it on top.

I'm glad you enjoy reading it... It is long, and we don't have to agree with all but I thought it would be very interesting to everyone.

But I just pointed to a webside, so please... spread the word... sorry WWW.

Back