Covering of hearing aids with your hair

I thought ITE and CIC aids were only for mild hearing loss. If you have severe or profound hearing loss, and need super-power HAs, you don't have any choice but to wear BTEs.

I thought ITE and CIC aids were only for mild hearing loss. If you have severe or profound hearing loss, and need super-power HAs, you don't have any choice but to wear BTEs.

This is my understanding as well.

When I had moderately-severe hearing loss, the only hearing aids my audi would give me were BTEs. I was 15 years old at the time and since she knew what a self-conscious teenager I was, she refused to show me ITE, ITC or CIC aids. I'm glad she made that decision because if I had started off with smaller aids, making the transition to BTEs would have been more difficult (emotionally) and I probably wouldn't have worn them.

I dunno guys, I am borderline severely moving into profoundly. I would prefer an analog as this is what I am used to, but here in Canada, ah, that was another thread!

I dunno guys, I am borderline severely moving into profoundly. I would prefer an analog as this is what I am used to, but here in Canada, ah, that was another thread!

I believe the Oticon 380P analog BTE is available in Canada, but under a different name/model.

If you have severe or profound hearing loss, and need super-power HAs, you don't have any choice but to wear BTEs.
In addition, most hoh people can significently benifit more from BTEs then they can with ITEs. They can hear, with them but they wouldn't be able to hear as well as they could with BTE

I am in Canada too. When I was a kid I had analog aids and when I got digitals it was a bit hard to adjust to. Most digitals can be programmed to act like analogs, ask your audiologist to do that perhaps? Mine tried it and it turned out I prefered the digital sound.

If you are in a big city with various options (like Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) perhaps see a different audiologist?

I am in Canada too. When I was a kid I had analog aids and when I got digitals it was a bit hard to adjust to. Most digitals can be programmed to act like analogs, ask your audiologist to do that perhaps? Mine tried it and it turned out I prefered the digital sound.

If you are in a big city with various options (like Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) perhaps see a different audiologist?

Thanks JennyB! I am still in the adjustment stage, it is hard, overwhleming really. I tend to get overstimulated by sound real easy, and contiue to dislike all the back ground noise. My audi is adjusting my in the ear new digital as best a sshe can to sound digital. sorry for the thread derailment guys, we now return you to the topic!:lol:

I used to hide my hearing aids with my hair when I was younger. When I reached the age of 14 I decided it was enough! I wanted to pull my hair back.

People approach me and ask me about my deafness or ask me if my HA is a CI. I will educate them on it.

Does not bother me that people know I am deaf. :)

I got BTE's recently. I wore ITEs for awhile a few years ago. I have very short hair, and so people are GONNA see my aids. I decided on BTEs for several reasons, but I decided to just "get over" the "what if someone sees them stuff." I no longer feel ashamed of what I am. I no longer see myself as "impaired" or "broken." I feel HOH and well on my way to "wholeness."

I am the complete opposite guys, when I was young (I got my aids when I was 5 years old) I always wore my hair up. All through elementry, middle school, and high school my hair was in a pony tail or a bun. I had long hair. Everyone knew I wore hearing aids and no one really cared.

Now that I am older (37 shhh...don't tell everyone) I wear my hair down. I am a teacher and while all my coworkers and prinicpal know about my aids and my hearing loss, I feel if my students are constantly aware that I can't hear they will try to take advantage of the situation. I do let them know one the first day of school but after a few weeks most of them forget all about it. :)

I HIDE THEM. i feel terrible, everyone else here seems to show them off proudly!

i always hide my CI, but it's mostly because it's BIG, bulky, and more likely to fall off if it's not being covered by hair. actually, when i am only wearing the BTE and not the CI, i will sometimes pull my hair up.

i'm sorry but i just think that CI's are too UGLY to look at... i swear, they're hideous! i hide them because i'm ashamed of their hideousness, NOT because i'm ashamed of my hearin gloss lol

I HIDE THEM. i feel terrible, everyone else here seems to show them off proudly!

i always hide my CI, but it's mostly because it's BIG, bulky, and more likely to fall off if it's not being covered by hair. actually, when i am only wearing the BTE and not the CI, i will sometimes pull my hair up.

i'm sorry but i just think that CI's are too UGLY to look at... i swear, they're hideous! i hide them because i'm ashamed of their hideousness, NOT because i'm ashamed of my hearin gloss lol

Not to be rude, but maybe you should see a therapist. A CI is just like any other electronic to look at. Maybe get some cool covers or stickers?

It really isn't ugly.

When I was a kid I use to hide my aids because I got made fun of,I don't do it anymore I don't care what people think of me I have more important things to worry about, but I got to say when it came to my aids and being a teen was hell so yeah at certains times of my life I did hide them.

I always had my hair cut short...I never noticed my HA's or gave a thought about them...

I wear now CI on my shoulder with a long coil...and that's coz it's heavy! everybody stares more , lol but I ignore them!

When I was a kid I use to hide my aids because I got made fun of,I don't do it anymore I don't care what people think of me I have more important things to worry about, but I got to say when it came to my aids and being a teen was hell so yeah at certains times of my life I did hide them.

I felt the same way when I was kid. I used to hide my hair down. I didn't like the 80"s and 90"s.

I always had my hair cut short...I never noticed my HA's or gave a thought about them...

I wear now CI on my shoulder with a long coil...and that's coz it's heavy! everybody stares more , lol but I ignore them!

I read your blog recently. I understand that explain about your BTE weight. I don't know how about me yet. is your CI bte heavier than your old BTE?

I thought the pouch is for babies and kids. Only one adult that i saw your blog recently. Wow

Pinky I sometime wear my CI on my shoulder so it's not just for babies/kids... I find when I sail the winds are too much for me so I tuck them inside the collar of my jacket and used long coil. And when I am at home chilling out i use long coil and put my BTE on my shoulder as it's more comfortable.

Yes CI BTE is heavier than normal HA's. As it carries 3 batteries. If you are having rechargeables it will be a little lighter...

When I see my audi soon to have my microphone covers changed, I plan to ask her about using a longer coil so I can start wearing my processors on my shoulder. I think that will help make my Freedoms more comfortable given how small my ears are.

When I see my audi soon to have my microphone covers changed, I plan to ask her about using a longer coil so I can start wearing my processors on my shoulder. I think that will help make my Freedoms more comfortable given how small my ears are.

That would be great idea. Umm... pardon for me to ask you this.. do you know how to change the mic? It's very easy but the only mistake is if the old mic is put back on again!! Your need for change of Mic by Audi is because of CTS??

Your need for change of Mic by Audi is because of CTS??

Yes, it's because of my CTS. I have difficulty grasping objects with my hands. The CTS in my right hand isn't as severe as it is in my left, but I've had more and more pain lately to the point where it is now considered moderate to severe in nature. I'm currently seeing a hand surgeon to explore my options for CTS surgery, so hopefully I can start changing the microphone covers on my own once I've had this done.

Back