WANTED: Old Teletype Corporation TTY equipment (1930s - 1950s)

Kolchak

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for vintage, old Teletype Corporation equipment (teletypewriters), from the 1930s - 1950s. I want to preserve as much of this equipment as possible. Teletype communications, in addition to being used by the deaf community, was the primary method of communication in the world for many decades!

I am especially looking for ‘Model 15’ machines, or cabinets only. Attached are photos of a Model 15, and Model 28-ASR. I’m looking for units close to New Jersey, since they are very heavy, and shipping them is cost prohibitive.

Doug W.

email: kolchak1@yahoo.com

Attachments

• teletype_Model_15_01.jpg
    teletype_Model_15_01.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 20
  • teletype_28-ASR_07.jpg
    teletype_28-ASR_07.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 17
I had lots of Western Union Teletype model 28s, one model 15 and one Teletype model 28-ASR for selling and installing last 15 years ago. But all of them were thrown to junk. I m very sorry.

Your gonna to be surprise few still out there collecting dust. I used to have one and I tried to save it but my dad threw it away, grrrrrrr.

I had lots of Western Union Teletype model 28s, one model 15 and one Teletype model 28-ASR for selling and installing last 15 years ago. But all of them were thrown to junk. I m very sorry.

ahhh...memory lane!...Not sure of the Model...but I trained in the Print Shop at NCSD to be a teletype operator and a linotype operator back in the 60's....and worked at a small newspaper in NC as a teletype/linotype operator, along with a few other deafies....

Not sure if any newspapers or deaf schools would keep these machines...I do remember going into the attic at a newspaper once, and saw many old teletype and linotype machines in storage....

We have one! It's a great conversation piece for when people come over. Even with our Deaf friends.

I used to see the OLD one at our deaf club for so many years. It's now gone. It was an interesting piece, to say the least. :)

TSD has a museum and they have the ancient TTY. I visited the museum several years ago.

Hello. I am looking for vintage, old Teletype Corporation equipment (teletypewriters), from the 1930s - 1950s. I want to preserve as much of this equipment as possible. Teletype communications, in addition to being used by the deaf community, was the primary method of communication in the world for many decades!

I am especially looking for ‘Model 15’ machines, or cabinets only. Attached are photos of a Model 15, and Model 28-ASR. I’m looking for units close to New Jersey, since they are very heavy, and shipping them is cost prohibitive.

Doug W.

I have 2-but am in Michigan if you are up for a road trip. They belonged to my Grandpa who worked for Western Union

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 8

Doug W.

Greetings,

I have a Western Union floor Model 28 (I believe). I live in Los Angeles, CA. Any advice on how to find a new home for it? I do not know the $ value or anything else. And, Yes ... it is heavy! Your thoughts are welcome!

Thank you! Carol Ann

Attachments

• 4044ACF3-D2EC-4B61-AD22-373D09E825AB.JPG
    4044ACF3-D2EC-4B61-AD22-373D09E825AB.JPG
    830.6 KB · Views: 6

Doug W.

Hi have several teltypes that look different than these i think they're rvolder than the oones in picture

Hello, I have an old machine that I can't identify. Because of this, I posted an ad on our local Craigslist. Many plausible guesses were that it's an old TTY machine, old Morse Code machine, or a prototype for a computer. When I turn it on, 2 red lights come on with a "beep" sound. I don't hear anything else, but I don't know how it's supposed to function. Can you please help, or direct me to someone who might know?
Here is a link to my Craigslist ad. The underside has holes and hand-drawn grid the entirety of the bottom. Thanks. https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/d/meridian-what-is-this/7293388366.html

That machine is home built by someone very familiar with whatever functioning 2003.

Regarding Teletypes, We used those regularly in the mid 70's at Columbia before they were beginning to be replaced with the newer TTY in early digital form. They would hum quite a bit when on and then slam the keys into the roll of paper for the message whatever it might be off the phone line. We had a two week lesson on how to use those things later in life should work require it. However we did not as children understand that they were already large dinosaurs dead on their technological feet. I had long since discarded from my mind those lessons. Would have to relearn it all over again which isnt too difficult.

I have not used TTY since 21 years of age seeing that technology get left behind in life. In Trucking we used Satellite Communications with Qualcomm directly tied to the truck cab. Essentially a keyboard with pre formatted macro messages. You could chat live in motion as long the dish above the sleeper could see the sw sky where the KU band sat sat in Geo Orbit 26Km up over approximately SW Texas. The messages went to San Diego to be collected and then sent over data lines (Phone or early internet) to the company dispatch where your boss got it. Later you were able to talk to anyone who had your address over the internet at 50 cents every 5th word. I had my first chat from home in 1998 during a ice storm and it took about 350 miles to resolve it. Essentially emailing back and forth.

ATT removed the last phone line exchange before converting to all digital about 1986 so if you had those old machines chances are it might or might not run on today's lines. Not without some downgrading. Or updating as it were.

I have an old functional teletyper, for sale with paper roll I want to sell it. 2898043974 is my number text me if u want pics

Doug W.

I realize your post is old, however if you are still interested there is an old TT98 B/FG teletypewriter at an estate sale in Morris Plains, NJ starting today 5/4/23. It was made by Kleinschmidt Labs for the U.S. Army. It has the name "ELMO" on the cover. Looks to be in rough shape, but perhaps just very dirty. There are photos and sale details on estatesales.net

Back