Problem with CSI DVD closed caption...help!

Buffalo

Reaction score
I bought CSI DVD (first season) when it was on sale (half off) but can't return it. It said it is closed captioned. When I played it and there is no closed caption. I notice this writing on the box: "These discs were created in compliance with applicable DVD specifications. Certain advanced features may not play on all machines." Does that means closed caption is an advanced feature?? If so, what machine it will play on?? My VCR/DVD combo is Toshiba (2005). Thank you for any help.

I bought CSI DVD (first season) when it was on sale (half off) but can't return it. It said it is closed captioned. When I played it and there is no closed caption. I notice this writing on the box: "These discs were created in compliance with applicable DVD specifications. Certain advanced features may not play on all machines." Does that means closed caption is an advanced feature?? If so, what machine it will play on?? My VCR/DVD combo is Toshiba (2005). Thank you for any help.

It is closed captioned. Better check to see if progressive scan mode is enabled, if it is... turn it off.

I don't see anything like that in the VCR/DVD manual. Could you please tell me more about it ?

I don't see anything like that in the VCR/DVD manual. Could you please tell me more about it ?

I've had problems like that before until I start to buy DVD Players that has Progressive Scan which would allow movies to play in Closed Caption.

I can tell u from my experience that I have thought that when I brought DVD/VCR combo would allow me to watch movie in Closed Caption, but some mostly ends up with Subtitles. SO I brought DVD Player with Progressive Scan and TADA! I can watch movies in Closed Caption, but you do have to check back of the DVD Box would say Subtitles in what language and has CC on it too. When buying DVD Player be sure you read all details of the equipment before you buy it. Be sure to Look for Progressive Scan will play certain movies that has CC on the back of the DVD Box.

I HATE SUBTITLES, but sometimes I have no CHOICE but to watch movie with Subtitles when it does not have CC on the back of the box.

I have know of one friend of mine who have DVD player. He puzzled why it didn't appear CC as he prefer. Even the case on back show the label it's CC available. I was play around on his DVD player and found under menus to turn CC enable on.

So, you would want to check your DVD player's menus or setting to turn CC on.

Hmm, this happened to ALF season 1, I bought from the US, which is strange coz I played a DVD, from the US, with CC and it showed up.

I just want to tell you guys. I found a friend who has a progessive scan DVD and I got to test my CSI dvd on it. It works so I went out and bought a DVD player and yes, I made sure it is progressive scan. I haven't hook it up yet. When I do, I am going to overdose on macadamia nuts while watching the CSI (first season - about 17 hours!!) Now I am happy but wondering why it has to be progressive scan? Does anybody know?? Another way of getting us to buy another DVD player? Now I have to find a way to sell my DVD/VCR combo. Can't/won't sell it to another deaf person.

Thanks guys for helping me out.

:shock:

I was wondering the same, I had a dvd player that refused to show closed caption, I had no idea you had to buy the one that has to be in progressive scan. Thanks in advance! I'll remember that next time. I had to give that dvd player to my sons, since they're hearing and they want it in their bedroom.

Buffalo-- I'm glad everything works out in the end, if it wasn't for your thread I would never knew this. ;)

I bought a progressive scan DVD player and set it up. No captions! I read the manual book that came with the player. I found that I need to get a new tv - the one that accepts progressive 480p format signals. I look in the back of my mom's old TV and the only colors I see in the jacks are yellow, white and red. The ones for progressive scan come in green, blue and red. *grumble, grumble!* Is that for HDTV as it sounds like???

I don't want to buy a new tv and a coaxial digital cord until I move out of state. I am putting the CSI away until I could get the right tv later on. I hope it will occur sooner than later. I still can munch on macadamia nuts now.

When I do, I am going to overdose on macadamia nuts while watching the CSI .

Take a tip...OD on the DVD player NOT Macadamia nuts....unless you wish to spend the night in the 'smallest' room in the house...??:laugh2:

I just want to tell you guys. I found a friend who has a progessive scan DVD and I got to test my CSI dvd on it. It works so I went out and bought a DVD player and yes, I made sure it is progressive scan. I haven't hook it up yet. When I do, I am going to overdose on macadamia nuts while watching the CSI (first season - about 17 hours!!) Now I am happy but wondering why it has to be progressive scan? Does anybody know?? Another way of getting us to buy another DVD player? Now I have to find a way to sell my DVD/VCR combo. Can't/won't sell it to another deaf person.

Thanks guys for helping me out.

You can sell your DVD/VCR combo at Craig's List advertising online.... here's website: craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and hopefully anyone will buy yours asap... :D

I watched half of the first season already and it's captioned.

It could be the settings such as progressive scan or something. :dunno:

I watched half of the first season already and it's captioned.

It could be the settings such as progressive scan or something. :dunno:

Lucky you! Do you see "Progessive scan" on your DVD player? Either on the front, right above the DVD bay or right on the door of the bay, or in the back of the player.

May I join you?? Nah, you are too far away.

Take a tip...OD on the DVD player NOT Macadamia nuts....unless you wish to spend the night in the 'smallest' room in the house...??:laugh2:

:lol: Macadamia nuts don't send me to the smallest room in the house. Sugar-free candies that contain Sorbitol will.....

Lucky you! Do you see "Progessive scan" on your DVD player? Either on the front, right above the DVD bay or right on the door of the bay, or in the back of the player.

May I join you?? Nah, you are too far away.
Some DVD players have progressive scan option and some don't.

The portable DVD player doesn't allow captions so I can only watch subtitles. My other DVD players allows captions. :)

Check your manual or your settings.

Check your manual or your settings.

I did. I was trying to figure out how to use a coaxial cord but couldn't figure out how to put VCR player and DVD player and TV all together. I just don't see where the input cord should go to the DVD player. Is it possible to use something that I can direct two cords(one from DVD and one from VCR) into one input (TV)???

What is 480p (progressive signal) and how do I know if the TV is compatible for this? The TV is 10 years old.

By the way, I got Monk (5th season) and it is keeping me happy for now. 8-)

Have you trying to use the setup button from your remote to drop the list like this?

General Setup menu
find Caption - click enter and choose yes
find Home Page menu then last Exit setup

It works on our Digix DVD player without progressive scan. But i dunno :dunno: about your brand DVD is... :giggle:

EDIT: Oppsy as i overlooked your first post that you stated that your brand DVD is Toshiba - My bad!!!! :giggle:

Last edited:
I HATE SUBTITLES, but sometimes I have no CHOICE but to watch movie with Subtitles when it does not have CC on the back of the box.

Sweet Orchid, would you explain the reason(s) you prefer closed captions over sub titles? I'm very interested in comparing the two. Thank you.

Sweet Orchid, would you explain the reason(s) you prefer closed captions over sub titles? I'm very interested in comparing the two. Thank you.

I don't exactly know why SweetOrchid prefer CC over subtitles. I only can guess the reason. I think CC is easier to read than subtitles because of the black background. Sometimes the subtitles are hard to read if the words are over white background like white clothing, etc.

There is no difference. It's just that I prefer Closed Caption than Subtitles, and also sometimes Subtitles does not show what song is being played during the movie. I like to sing to a song that is being sang on the movie and know the lyrics and some Subtitles don't show that.

Really both are same thing and each one of us all have different opinion about how we feel about CC or Subtitles.:blah:

Back