ABC's What would you do?

candybrowneyes

Reaction score
The other night I was watching ABC's show "What would you do?" This portion of the show happened to feature Deaf students were applying for jobs. I was really disturbed watching this because there was an HR woman at the store (not an actor) telling the store manager (actor) ways to get around hiring the Deaf applicants... heres some of that video..

I cant get the video to post so ill post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iMyvGvOGHY&feature=player_embedded#

I am not surprised. I knew that they throw away many of our applications because of our deafness after seeing a constant pattern. These people are horrible and they should be locked up with the keys thrown away!

I don't know how different life is today, but when I had jobs that were not when I just started doing pet care by myself, I was placed by VR>

I would like to hope life is a little better today, but I don't really know.

I don't know how different life is today, but when I had jobs that were not when I just started doing pet care by myself, I was placed by VR>

I would like to hope life is a little better today, but I don't really know.

It "looks" better . Deaf people's applications get accepted but in HR, do they shred them in the shredder and not call the deaf person for the interview? I had a few friends..deaf and hearing and they applied at the same place that claimed to have a few positions open. No phone work was required. Two of my hearing friends got called for an interview while my deaf friend didnt. So, he called the company to inquire about it. They said that they filled the positions. He said it was bullshit but he had no hard evidence of discrimination. These HR people are clever and it was exposed on this show.

It was terrible!!! Telling them how to get around hiring them was horrible! I am so glad they do shows like this to show what kind of people are out there!

It was terrible!!! Telling them how to get around hiring them was horrible! I am so glad they do shows like this to show what kind of people are out there!

Yeah, I saw that segment, too; I also saw what the HR person said to the violator.....castigating him for doing something illegal and then telling him how to perform this illegality correctly!

Yeah, I saw that segment, too; I also saw what the HR person said to the violator.....castigating him for doing something illegal and then telling him how to perform this illegality correctly!

yeah, that is the part I was talking about, it was disturbing to watch!

yeah, that is the part I was talking about, it was disturbing to watch!

So disturbing that I wished I could reach through the TV and punch her. I hope the authorities saw this illegal act and do some investigating to see who that was and take action.

HR people are clever? nah. just troll and bait them.

The other night I was watching ABC's show "What would you do?" This portion of the show happened to feature Deaf students were applying for jobs. I was really disturbed watching this because there was an HR woman at the store (not an actor) telling the store manager (actor) ways to get around hiring the Deaf applicants... heres some of that video..

I cant get the video to post so ill post the link

YouTube - Deaf Discrimination: Behind the Scenes at ABC's "What Would You Do?"

are you sure? if I recalled correctly - the HR woman told the manager that what she's doing is illegal because what she said is a ground for discrimination. a federal violation. The woman told the manager that she should not be saying such thing.

The caught 3 peole who work in HR, two female and one male, responding to the situation. All of them told the woprker "You cant do that, its discrimination, its against the law." And then all 3 said in some way "Just take the application and dont call the deaf girl."

It was a good eposide. In all of the situations they had a lot more people stood up and get involved than they usually do. Nice to see.

are you sure? if I recalled correctly - the HR woman told the manager that what she's doing is illegal because what she said is a ground for discrimination. a federal violation. The woman told the manager that she should not be saying such thing.

Yes the HR person I am referring to told him it was against the law but then told him how he could get around it...

This is how we need to get proof why we are having harder time finding jobs. Its not for the lack of trying!

My cousin works in HR dept, and he noticed I was looking for jobs for 2 years and dno luck. He asked for my resume and he noticed right away my relay number. (this was before we had the single number equality rights). He told me to put hearing number in instead so I used my parents number. BINGO!!!! I got 3 calls THAT SAME WEEK for a callback. I called them back and used VCO. When they wanted to know how to get hold of me instead of my folks number since thee "first phone interview went well and wanted me to come in person, I explained my relay number. Guess what? they went OH - umm .. otay.. errr Ill get back to you thanks. NOT A SINGLE CALLBACK since.

Now I am not sure of what makes me more pissed. :mad2: the fact they learned I was deaf and need to deal with my type or the fact I JUST HAD my foot in the door only to have it slammed in my face.

This shows my experience is not unique.
Employers don't seem to realize that quite often the deaf/HOH can be more loyal and harder working then hearing people. :mad:

There's no way I can convey my disgust and frustration for this....

I remember the VR trying to help me find a job...and nothing transpired! So I took it into my own hands and I kept going back to the Company/position that I was applying for, over and over, requesting to take the test....and finally after a month or so of doing this, they allowed me to take the test and I passed.

And was hired, after months of trying to get my foot in the door!...But was only able to get promoted 2 or 3 times, even tho' I qualified for another position within the company and was turned down, time and time again!

Yes the HR person I am referring to told him it was against the law but then told him how he could get around it...

Too bad they couldn't show the HR person's face. It is unfair that the law covers his arse, but those are the breaks. I know the job applicant was an actress, but if she had a tape recoding of the conversation, it would be an open and shut case in court. It is a shame that people won't hire the deaf, but we need to be more proactive, we need to be ready and equipped to deal with these situations. What a hassle.

Too bad they couldn't show the HR person's face. It is unfair that the law covers his arse, but those are the breaks. I know the job applicant was an actress, but if she had a tape recoding of the conversation, it would be an open and shut case in court. It is a shame that people won't hire the deaf, but we need to be more proactive, we need to be ready and equipped to deal with these situations. What a hassle.
They didn't show her face because she did not sign the papers that would have allowed them to. Shows she knows she was in the wrong and might be investigated.

Interesting video. Still, I want to watch a full episode. :(

EDIT: I found a few sites that have full episode but no subtitle or closed captioning... Well, I'll keep search.

They didn't show her face because she did not sign the papers that would have allowed them to. Shows she knows she was in the wrong and might be investigated.

BINGO!!!! we have a winner!

Now guys, as much we would like to become a lynch mob, we need to calm down and realize the HR person and us are human beings after all. Imagine this- If she watches herself the way ABC portrayed it- its possible she could feel guilt and remorse. Isn't this what we are after? Isnt this why ABC started the what would we do show ?? IF we can show where the issues are and show the person frustration and some sort of credibility then so be it.

One of my favorite shows that I watch ALL the time is holmes for homes and holmes inspection. He is a contractor that fixes other contractor screwups and show why its a problem and why the homeowner are having problems.

Same with undercover boss. We need to fix the underlying issues in america and wake people up!!!

I am very proud of ABC staging this showing the deaf discrimination. It's our 8 mins of fame:ty::D Lets not get out of control and get riled up over ONE HR person. :ty:

Well, I can't find anywhere for subtitle or CC, so I gave up and watched it anyway. I have no patience. Eheh... So after I finished watching that show, it's very interesting how much different reactions in between in AZ and the Coffee Shop. If it is based on racism, there will be more compassion than the another situation. But I think it is because there is easy to communication with people if they're able to speak and hear. That is why they show more compassion in AZ... If they see someone who is deaf, then they may feel not able to help because of a lack of communication. I don't know. I could be wrong.

Really, that's so shame. While no CC on it, there are some subtitles that really made me feel like a slap in my face. "You can't do that. Just accept and don't call them." Ugh, I hate that but it's unsurprising... :roll:

Last edited:
Back