How do you sign...

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see dozens of "how do you sign....." so for your convenience purpose - here it is. :cool2:

you can ask about word or translating English into ASL or whatever.

You don't understand my sign! You don't love me! Waaaah! Waaah!

Oh, that's all right, that's why you're still learning...

You don't understand my sign! You don't love me! Waaaah! Waaah!

Oh, that's all right, that's why you're still learning...

how do you sign "disgust"? :lol:

I see dozens of "how do you sign....." so for your convenience purpose - here it is. :cool2:

you can ask about word or translating English into ASL or whatever.

With different facial expressions for "convenience?" Do they recoil?

How do you sign "provoke" ?

I would sign provoke according to the meaning or situation. There is no one sign for a range of meanings that provoke could mean.

If you're trying to make someone mad, you could say "pick on someone" if that was what was happening. Or sign "spelling" in a dramatic way as if you're trying to talk to the person in such a way to make them become mad.

To provoke a situation means to encourage it. (I'd sign encourage)

You are trying to provoke someone into doing something by pulling them into the situation. (pull person)

Ohh so the sign for provoke is the right-handed "S" on the nose and then swing your arm to the left, resulting in the S becoming an "opened AND" handshape ...

Does anyone understand what I was describing and if so, am I getting this right?

I remember when I was in HS, I asked a girl who's not an English whiz (but is experienced at ASL enough - she has been at the deaf school since her preschool days) about THAT sign and she claimed that means "I'm gonna make you mad."

Ohh so the sign for provoke is the right-handed "S" on the nose and then swing your arm to the left, resulting in the S becoming an "opened AND" handshape ...

Does anyone understand what I was describing and if so, am I getting this right?

I remember when I was in HS, I asked a girl who's not an English whiz (but is experienced at ASL enough - she has been at the deaf school since her preschool days) about THAT sign and she claimed that means "I'm gonna make you mad."

It could be that. :) Its all about the context it was used in.

How do you sign apotheosis, Jiro?
Depends on the context.

If it's the first reference, I would spell the word, then sign the concept. It's a concept that would probably require more than one sign.

Depending on how the word was used (as a definition, as a description of a person, etc.), here are some examples:

MAN BECOME SAME-AS G-O-D

or

PERSON ELEVATE SAME-AS G-O-D

or

WORSHIP HIM SAME-AS WORSHIP G-O-D

or

SUPREME PERSON/EVENT/THING

It all depends on the context but that gives you a general idea.

Depends on the context.

If it's the first reference, I would spell the word, then sign the concept. It's a concept that would probably require more than one sign.

Depending on how the word was used (as a definition, as a description of a person, etc.), here are some examples:

MAN BECOME SAME-AS G-O-D

or

PERSON ELEVATE SAME-AS G-O-D

or

WORSHIP HIM SAME-AS WORSHIP G-O-D

or

SUPREME PERSON/EVENT/THING

It all depends on the context but that gives you a general idea.

Yup, I wouldn't spell it though. :) It's inflicting the spoken English into ASL :)

There's a few ways I would translate it - like you said, it depends on the context.

Yup, I wouldn't spell it though. :) It's inflicting the spoken English into ASL :)

There's a few ways I would translate it - like you said, it depends on the context.
I would spell it if it were being used as a testable vocabulary term, for instance.

Otherwise, I might not spell it. It depends on the situation.

How do you sign apotheosis, Jiro?

I'd probably sign it (in Auslan):

Distinct signs bound by {brackets}.

* {That person or whatever it is we are talking about}
* {Give it a classifier, and show it elevating high towards the right hand side}

Then I'd probably clarify it with:

* {God (An initialised sign starting with 'G', signed in much the same space, with the 'Boss' sign}
* {SAME (ie, the classifier representing the person, and God, are the same)}

But I'm still learning. :) I not yet figured out how to do glossing... I just don't think like that, so that description I gave you is the best you'll get from me. :)

Hey!

SO I have a question: one of the chimpanzees I work with is named Loulis, his name sign is an "L" held on the nose once by the thumb of the "L". Supposedly there is another sign with the same handshape in the same area, but with a tapping or the forefinger bouncing a bit. Any idea what sign that could be? The rumor is that it is an inappropriate sign. Any idea?
Thanks!

Hey!

SO I have a question: one of the chimpanzees I work with is named Loulis, his name sign is an "L" held on the nose once by the thumb of the "L". Supposedly there is another sign with the same handshape in the same area, but with a tapping or the forefinger bouncing a bit. Any idea what sign that could be? The rumor is that it is an inappropriate sign. Any idea?
Thanks!

I'm sure you can find out yourself if you learn sign language and spend some time with the deaf community.

People do always seem to pick up the 'inappropriate' signs rather fast!

Back