Any Way to get CC with BLue Ray/Netflix Streaming?

lindsayf26

Reaction score
We just bought a blue ray player for the express purpose of being able to stream netflix videos and after trying to figure out how to get the closed captions on, and doing some internet research, I'm coming to a sinking conclusion that netflix streamed movies do not have captions??????!!!!!!! Is this really possible??? If so, that really sucks. I wear hearing aids but I have to have to captioning to follow anything on tv.

Is there any way around this??? I have been searching all night online and apparently if you have an Xbox or Playstation you can access captions, but not a Blue Ray player?? Can anyone give me any information??

Seriously aggratvated!!

only web-enabled Blu-Ray player with Netflix subtitles is the Sony Blu-Ray with Google TV (this is rumored - I have not seen pics from a blu-ray,but haveon other googleTV devices)

In Netflix, not all are CC. Netflix are currently working on expanding more CC embedded to the movies.

There's a website that will show which will have CC ready and it will give a list of when next movies will have CC. It's a nice website.

phlixie.

We just bought a blue ray player for the express purpose of being able to stream netflix videos and after trying to figure out how to get the closed captions on, and doing some internet research, I'm coming to a sinking conclusion that netflix streamed movies do not have captions??????!!!!!!! Is this really possible??? If so, that really sucks. I wear hearing aids but I have to have to captioning to follow anything on tv.

Is there any way around this??? I have been searching all night online and apparently if you have an Xbox or Playstation you can access captions, but not a Blue Ray player?? Can anyone give me any information??

Seriously aggratvated!!

all streaming video from netflix to rokbox are not cc

they know and ignore you file complaint to fcc

How do you file a complaint? This is the 2nd situation I've found myself in in the last couple months where suddenly a whole chunk of entertainment is no longer available to me. I know that netflix new releases hardly ever seem to have the caption option anymore since the companies release "bare bones" dvds to netflix and the like. Netflix does have a list of "watch instantly" titles with captions, but apparently that doesn't work with this blu ray player.

Pretty dispointing.

Seriously aggratvated!!

To echo your disappointment....."ME too!" I just purchased a Samsung Blue/Ray player that has a build in WiFi, etc.etc. Is also Streaming Movie ready with the likes of Netlfix, Blockbuster, Vutu..etc.

To my dismay I cannot get cc or subtitles on English speaking movies of any kind except foreign films; even if an English word is spoken, it remains mum!

I am talking about TV, NOT PC's...

So, where's the beef about Netflix working on it or what.

There's no provision for accessing on screen input of cc or subtitles on the TV for that particular movie.

1210108976_JGJnf-M.jpg

Maybe...NCMACASL, who seems to be a bit more versed in these matters can you please chime in!!

Thank you..

Elmer in Winnabow, NC

Last edited:
"I am talking about TV, NOT PC's..."
- I must be confused about how Netflix programming works. I thought Netflix streamed through the pc to the player to the television.

It's OK to be confused:giggle:. With Netflix, one can either watch their movies via PC or TV. By PC(Laptop) it's streamed to it via WiFi from the router you have next to your desktop PC. From the desktop PC it is directly shown via hardwire; cable, coax, ethernet...!

BlueRay: you need a build in WiFi or have it hardwired to your existing router which will then stream the movies to your TV. BUT...CC's forget it!! Only Foreign subtitled films are viewable.

It's OK to be confused:giggle:. With Netflix, one can either watch their movies via PC or TV. By PC(Laptop) it's streamed to it via WiFi from the router you have next to your desktop PC. From the desktop PC it is directly shown via hardwire; cable, coax, ethernet...!

BlueRay: you need a build in WiFi or have it hardwired to your existing router which will then stream the movies to your TV. BUT...CC's forget it!! Only Foreign subtitled films are viewable.

So it displays differently via the player than it does on the pc? I can search from my pc for films with cc available on Netflix.

Correct....but these films with CC will not show up on yout TV/Blue Ray player, only on your PC's as there is a provision made for the user to activate CC, while the TV/B.Ray has yet to have such feature....

Complain tothe FCC

1) TV with B/Ray....no way of turning on CC. EVEN if you try to view the film in #3 :
1210108976_JGJnf-L.jpg

2) Desktop PC or Laptop PC:....a bit blurry but see here this is a Netflix stream download with no provision to activate any CC. Look at the bottom column...

1211256520_Gp9bK-L.jpg

Desktop PC or LaptopPC
3) This is another Netflix stream download that has provisions for turning on the CC.

1211255878_Qntuy-L.jpg

Well I'm glad to know that in advance. I can drop the idea of hooking the blue-ray up to the new monitor that's coming and putting up netflix that way. I'm not Deaf but I do use cc at certain times. Che and I will just have to keep watching movies from the computer.
Thanks for the info!

Seriously aggratvated!!

Sorry to hear that. Netflix had made a public announcement stating that they only have about 30%(cant recall) are streaming CC and are working on to reach at least 80% goal at the end of this year. I consider this a good news for all of us. See Link Here

As for the hardware. Please be warned that NOT ALL hardware can support streaming videos with CC in it. Quote "Subtitles are supported on PCs and Macs, Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3, GoogleTV, and the Boxee Box. We expect that Roku and Xbox 360 will support subtitles later this year. Most new Netflix ready devices released this summer or later will support subtitles"

Thats the reason I got a Google TV box from DISH at heavily discounted price. I believe its called Logitech Revue.

As for your Blu Ray player. It is likely not compatible at this time.

Ditto. The rest of the family can download and watch/stream from netflix anywhere in the house, but I need closed caption to fully enjoy most movies. I wrote netflix and they gave me the same lame excuses. I want to watch in high def and have small closed caption/subtitles and I don't think that is too much too ask in the current age. I am canning the dvd delivery from netflix and going back to blockbuster where I can rent dvd blueray discs and enjoy movies. Once again, I feel like the hearing impaired are punished with extra fees just to get subtitles. On a positive note, I TIVO movies in high def with closed caption and watch em later and that has worked out well.

Closed Caption

Who would have thought that we go back into time to the 1980s when we all having to buy "Closed Caption Decoders" to have CC access for streaming video. Netflix has streaming videos with CC if you have the gaming consoles listed at their website.. but will not work on their Netflix APPs alone via the HDTV or BluRays.

Do you have HDTV and an old PC/laptop running Windows XP or newer in your closet? If so... you have the closed caption "decoder" costing you nothing to have steaming CC video to your HDTV... just hook the PC to your HDTV for your monitor. Just buy for about $2 an Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs and hook from your PC to your HDTV to have sound coming out of the HDTV.

No game consoles to buy to stream from Netflix CC. Netflix does have an improved library of streaming CC via game consoles. Blockbuster doesnt have any streaming CC as I checked with their HELP section and saw that wasnt available still. Dont know if CC worksstreaming to the PC.. so any that has that info.. do share.

Today's newest toy.. SMARTTV!!! Costing $$$$..
The new feature on the HDTV that they call "SmartTV" is the web access. You already own a SMARTTV with your new hookup right from your closet!

Not all Smart TVs support Netflix closed captioning

I just purchased a Vizio 1080p Smart television. Although I can stream Netflix the television DOES NOT support closed captioning like my Wii does.

To let android user know that netflix finally updated their app, now it supports subtitle feature.

Back