Spanish government in America

I have a friend from India who grew up speaking 5 languages. She came to Mexico for school and learned Spanish, then to the US and honed the English she already spoke. She was learning German because she liked the German students. She is now a doctor of biology. Amazing. She learned Latin for her degree in biology. She grew up with 5 languages to speak to everyone in her community. Wow. Soo,
1. Hindi
2. English
3. Marathi
4. Bengali
5. French
6. Spanish
7. Latin
8. German

She claims to know a "smatter" of local dialects such as Tamil.

She said it was easy to learn in her home. Her sister is equally impressive. She said she had to learn this to shop, speak with the maids, for school, and for friends. She said that there are over a thousand languages or dialects in India. (really??)

I did find that it was not unusual for any of our foreign students to speak 3 or more languages, some local dialects of their home region and others such as English and Portugese.

A student from Russia was amazed that:
... "in America (USA) you all speak alike- you all understand one another, even many miles away"...

I didn't understand that dialects can case two groups of people less than 2-3 miles apart to not understand one another without training in the other language.

The Future of the USA is a new living language, it will be English-Spanish-computer speak, and I fear the first phase of this transition.

What if Spanish becomes the most used language in the country within the next 50 years?
I don't believe it will.

That would require an increase in immigration from Spanish speaking countries. It would also require more current English-speaking citizens to learn Spanish, which I don't see happening in large numbers. It's also presuming that the American-born children of Spanish-speaking immigrants wouldn't learn English as a primary language.

Yes, the Spanish-speaking immigrant families in the US have more children. Those children are bi-lingual. Their children sometimes are more fluent in English than Spanish.

That's happened in the past with other immigrant populations. How many grandchildren of immigrants fluently speak their grandparents' native tongue?

...The Future of the USA is a new living language, it will be English-Spanish-computer speak, and I fear the first phase of this transition.
Nah. It will all be texting speech. LOL :lol:

Back