Grammar

Ribs

Reaction score
In ASL is there a specific pattern you are supposed to follow? if so what?

Sentence structure

English : subject -verb- object

ASL: object-subject-verb

English order=Subject-Verb-Object

ASL order=Object-Subject-Verb

Ocean blue beat me!!

why is it backward anyway? Why can't they put it in the order of English?

Because it isn't English. English is an auditory based language, and follows a linear syntax because that is they way the brain processes auditory stimuli. Visual stimuli is processed in a spatial and time oriented progression, therefore the syntax of ASL is adapted to cater to the way the brain processes visual information.

Yeah, what Bott said.

Because it isn't English. English is an auditory based language, and follows a linear syntax because that is they way the brain processes auditory stimuli. Visual stimuli is processed in a spatial and time oriented progression, therefore the syntax of ASL is adapted to cater to the way the brain processes visual information.

Yeah, what Bott said.

Holy cow!! You said it so much fancier!! That is what a PhD will do for you!!:P

Yeah, what Bott said.

In other words: The brain processes visual information with two pieces of information: space and time.

Space describes where. For example, my computer is on my desk. The desk is on the floor in a house.

Time describes when. For example, it is 7:10 am now.

SEE sucks. :roll:

Sorry, just couldn't hold that in.

I prefer PSE myself, but that's only because SEE takes too d*mn long to sign.
It's just like the difference between Grade I and Grade II Braille. Grade I is spelled out while Grade II is not. Reading Grade I Braille is a pain in the
you-know-where.

I prefer PSE myself, but that's only because SEE takes too d*mn long to sign.

Exactly. SEE is way too stinkin complicated. Not in terms of difficulty,but in terms of saying what you want to say in the most simple terms (after all, why use 12 signs when you can use 6?). Just looking at SEE makes my eyes tired. :doh:

I'll admit that I mostly use alot PSE myself but only because I'm still new to asl (been learning a little over 2 years now). Hopefully, I will use ASL more proficiently in the future as I make progress.

Exactly. SEE is way too stinkin complicated. Not in terms of difficulty,but in terms of saying what you want to say in the most simple terms (after all, why use 12 signs when you can use 6?). Just looking at SEE makes my eyes tired. :doh:

I'll admit that I mostly use alot PSE myself but only because I'm still new to asl (been learning a little over 2 years now). Hopefully, I will use ASL more proficiently in the future as I make progress.

I enjoy using ASL myself, but I think the only reason I prefer PSE is because English is my first language. PSE makes more sense to me although my comprehension of ASL is as high as 95%.

When I started learning ASL, it literally gave me a headache because all my brain wanted to do is convert the grammatical structure of ASL into English. :giggle: Now it's second nature and is something I no longer think about. :)

Back