Deafness and Depression

I have had depression and anxiety in the past, but most of that was due to things other than my hearing. Sometimes I get depressed about my hearing because I feel lonely. I have friends and family, but know absolutely no one in person who is Deaf or HOH besides my Grandpa and he hears better than me.:lol:

Im well aware that not all of it ( depression and anxiety ) is due to my hearing loss, but I think it helps knowing its part of it. It's starting to help that Im going to school to learn ASL; it just doesnt help me learn a second language, it opens a whole new world for me too. Feel lonely? Oh hell yeah I do. But I mostly get by okay with a keen sense of wit, and a quick witted sense of humour :D Some days I get by okay, other days its like touch and go. Can barely get by w/out thinking bad about something. Im responsible enough to not do anything stupid. Its helping tremendously that I can at least talk about it here, and not be judged by it. A friend i talked to at work... just kinda .. you know.. listened. But he doesnt know what to say. He's never been there. Even to a certain extent, as close as my family may be, they dont understand. So...

Thanks Guys! :)

It's starting to help that Im going to school to learn ASL; it just doesnt help me learn a second language, it opens a whole new world for me too. Feel lonely? Oh hell yeah I do.
And it doesn't help that you're in MAINE!!!!!! (and not even Portland where the Deaf School is....more in Augusta which is closer to Quebec then to any New English resources)

At least he's not in middle of nowhere... and the major deaf centres (Toronto, Montreal, the tristate area) are relatively close to him... oppose say... the Midwest.

Maine is a good place to be now that I think about it.

At least he's not in middle of nowhere... and the major deaf centres (Toronto, Montreal, the tristate area) are relatively close to him... oppose say... the Midwest.

That's the way to be supportive.:wave:

The midwest has one of the strongest deaf communitys around if you think of it... Just sayin'

I've got depression and anxiety, am on meds for them, but they're not related to my being HoH. Depression runs heavily on both sides of my family and it's pretty much a given that anyone in our bloodlines will have some form of depression. My anxiety may very well be caused by being HoH, along with being shy. Kinda makes sense, since I constantly feel confused and that I'm lacking "all the information" and end up feeling anxious because of it. If I'm in a crowded room and everyone's got a goal (oh, lets say a concert's about to begin and it's my first concert; I have no clue exactly what to do, if I'm doing something wrong, and I get anxious because I really don't want to be left out or miss out on something great. Or lets say class at school is doing some sort of group activity and I'm confused because I missed some piece of information on exactly what we're doing, so I get anxious because I don't really know exactly what to do, and because everyone in the room is hustling and bustling around, it ratchets up the anxiety some more). I absolutely hate the phone, will only answer if I know the other person on the line (or it's something truly important, like a prospective job offer), otherwise I ignore all calls. If I have to MAKE one, I pace and sweat for at least a half hour beforehand, trying to plan out exactly what to say, my heart fluttering and my brain pin firing like mad. Even if it's just to call for a cab/taxi. I'm fine with calling home, just everything else is stressful.

And it doesn't help that you're in MAINE!!!!!! (and not even Portland where the Deaf School is....more in Augusta which is closer to Quebec then to any New English resources)

Actually which school are you talking about? If its Baxter, I dont believe its open anymore due to some scandals ( thats what I heard, dont quote me on it ). But I think you are right about one thing, and its MAINE. lol I posted a thread about a week ago asking who else was in Maine besides me, and I think I remember it was one or two other people from this forum, at least those who read it.

Yea, I used to have depression and anixety. To be honest, being deaf was one of reasons why I had some problems but not just by itself. I grew up moving all times due to my family job transfer - state to state a few times and town to town many times. So being deaf and moving all times were hardest times I have had been through. Like losing and making friends and not stable enough environment to support myself. But now I feel more confident, although I still have some hard times, than before once I get to look forward and think lucky I have my family on my side mostly and some friends, whose stay in touch very well no matter where I am. Also all these movings, look at the bright side, I have the learning experiences from various locations. So being deaf does not bother me but it made more harder in my past, yea...

Actually which school are you talking about? If its Baxter, I dont believe its open anymore due to some scandals ( thats what I heard, dont quote me on it
Yes, it's Baxter. They still have a website, and it APPEARS to be open?!? Maybe you should contact them and see if there's any resources. Heck, contact the Maine Association of the Deaf and see if they have get togehters or whatever.
I think too that it's the fact you're in Augusta and in the middle of nowhere. If you were closer to NH/MA you could take advantage of the Austine(VT) School for the Deaf, as well as some of the stuff affliated with Beverly School for the Deaf (which is basicly Southren NH affiliated)

yeah, I have issues with depression, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and other psych issue. It is pretty well under control right now, but its hard for me to predict when things will slide. It not related to hearing issues. Im sure as life progresses things will continue to get better because I feel I can deal with and handle things better now.

yeah, I have issues with depression, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and other psych issue. It is pretty well under control right now, but its hard for me to predict when things will slide. It not related to hearing issues. Im sure as life progresses things will continue to get better because I feel I can deal with and handle things better now.

You are correct Doug. Over time, as you learn to replace faulty thoughts and coping behaviors with more healthy and functional ones, things will get better incrementally.

i can connect my depression and deafness together(all that
"no gives people in wheelchairs and people use nzsl jobs cos they are too much hard work"
A quote from daddy dearest)

I HATE the fact I can speak

Southern Maine has a pretty active deaf community. Governor Baxter school is on Mackworth Island in Falmouth and USM has an active deaf club with socials and film nights throughout the year. Augusta is about an hour from the Portland area which is much closer than Quebec. :)
I think Maine is a wicked awesome place to be.

Back