Carbon monoxide detectors for the deaf

I kept looking and there's a website,www.assistech.com,that has several dual purpose (smoke and monoxide) detectors. Brand name is OneLink,which I believe is a subsidiary of First Alert.

These detectors by Onelink can be set up not just to coordinate with the other detectors in one's residence/business but to give a verbal alert to what room the smoke or monoxide is being detected in.

On Assistech's website,I tested the alarms' sounds. They have different pitches, volume, and frequency than the average smoke or monoxide alarms. Much easier for me to hear.

Said alarms are probably more suited to the HOH or blind than to the deaf.

I might invest in something by Assistech if the reviews on Assistech,Amazon,and E-Bay are favorable. I believe I can hear these alarms without my hearing aids on.

I'll keep looking to see what might be available for the deaf.

There is disadvantage on First Alert product, these isn't friendly battery, it required direct from the outlet power. It would be bad news when there is outage power.

PowerOn,

I recently bought a combination smoke/monoxide detector at Lowes: Onelink
model SCO0500. I can hear this alarm without my hearing aids on.

BTW,this alarm is powered by two AA batteries. It is not dependent on house
current.

One can also program in a message regarding location and also link it with other Onelink alarms.

The real disadvantage of using battery powered (As sole powered) alarm verses house powered unit is that if battery is at near dead, and there is carbon monoxide creeping in the house, it will provide protection up to what's left on battery (Scary if it only offers 5 seconds of warning before going dead), while with 120V, it keeps going and going til one gets alerted.

The more louder you want it to be, the shorter life of battery. two double A batteries offers very limited protection, and they are good only as back up especially Carbon Monoxide alarm. Smoke detectors uses much less energy than Carbon Monoxide alarm does.

Especially for those with total hearing loss like myself, Battery offers protection as much as if there isn't one alarm available, in other words, battery powered unit is really useless for Deafies.

PowerOn,

I recently bought a combination smoke/monoxide detector at Lowes: Onelink
model SCO0500. I can hear this alarm without my hearing aids on.

BTW,this alarm is powered by two AA batteries. It is not dependent on house
current.

One can also program in a message regarding location and also link it with other Onelink alarms.

The real disadvantage of using battery powered (As sole powered) alarm verses house powered unit is that if battery is at near dead, and there is carbon monoxide creeping in the house, it will provide protection up to what's left on battery (Scary if it only offers 5 seconds of warning before going dead), while with 120V, it keeps going and going til one gets alerted.

The more louder you want it to be, the shorter life of battery. two double A batteries offers very limited protection, and they are good only as back up especially Carbon Monoxide alarm. Smoke detectors uses much less energy than Carbon Monoxide alarm does.

Especially for those with total hearing loss like myself, Battery offers protection as much as if there isn't one alarm available, in other words, battery powered unit is really useless for Deafies.
What about plug-in alarm with battery back up?

I prefer having both kinds of alarms, plug-in/wired and battery.

The Nest alarm sends an alarm to your phone. It's a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. They fixed the problem that made them recall it, and they are out now with a lower price. If you look at the link, at the bottom of the page is what is shown on your phone when it gets the message https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/inside-and-out/ It can be set to vibrate instead of make a sound, which can be far more useful than just a loud sound and flashing light. It actually tells you if a bit of smoke is detected (like burning a piece of toast), if it's emergency levels of smoke, it tells you when ti's all clear, etc. It's nice information to have.

Back