Waterproofing Hearing Aids

djchur

Reaction score
I'm visiting India in July, which I believe is the monsoon season. I don't mind getting wet, but I'm concerned about protecting my HAs from the rain. I've bought some 'Ear Gear' protective covers and I'm taking a storage container with desiccant in it, but I wondered if anyone has any other ideas that might help.

I'm visiting India in July, which I believe is the monsoon season. I don't mind getting wet, but I'm concerned about protecting my HAs from the rain. I've bought some 'Ear Gear' protective covers and I'm taking a storage container with desiccant in it, but I wondered if anyone has any other ideas that might help.

Hearing Aid Moisture Protection and Maintenance with Super Seals Hearing Aid Covers - Just Bekuz Products Co.

Super_Seals_starter_kit.JPG

:ty: Botts.. I have been leaving my hearing aids at home on my boating trips. I wonder if it helps being around the Salt Water as well?

I will have to check it out. Due to the salt air has a tendency to cause rusting. Believe me had it happen before.. especially in the battery casing.

I actually bought this for my husband as he works very hard and sweats. Sweat has salt. They work for that.

Not actually sure about the ocean air.

As a Sailor, I wore my HA's most of the trips through the world, I even wore them through Southern Oceans and Squally weathers!!! so the environment is constantly damp and salty.

I did try the "ear condoms" very difficult to use if you have those battery opening to switch off/on I gave up after while. (connevans sells those)

I used the dri bag and desiccant, I swapped bag for air tight clip container to give HA's bit of more protection. And carried Ziploc bag in my pocket in case I get really wet (i still do this to this day for day races)

I had been at sea for 10 months with few weeks breaks in between in each ports (5) I only sent one HA for repairs and that wasn't due to rust. I got those HA's in 2000, My trip was in 2000 and i had those HA's up until 2008 when it gave up due to old age! (Widex Senso)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I don't think Super Seals will work that well for me because my HAs switch on and off by opening the battery doors, though I think it might be possible to ask the audi to programme them to switch off by pressing the programme button, I'm not sure about that.

I would give them a try but I am always finking with the volume on mine

As a Sailor, I wore my HA's most of the trips through the world, I even wore them through Southern Oceans and Squally weathers!!! so the environment is constantly damp and salty.

I did try the "ear condoms" very difficult to use if you have those battery opening to switch off/on I gave up after while. (connevans sells those)

I used the dri bag and desiccant, I swapped bag for air tight clip container to give HA's bit of more protection. And carried Ziploc bag in my pocket in case I get really wet (i still do this to this day for day races)

I had been at sea for 10 months with few weeks breaks in between in each ports (5) I only sent one HA for repairs and that wasn't due to rust. I got those HA's in 2000, My trip was in 2000 and i had those HA's up until 2008 when it gave up due to old age! (Widex Senso)

Sorry but I have to :laugh2: at the "ear condoms", I have a dirty mind.

Sounds like you have been to many places. I would like to one day travel the entire world and see everything with my fiance.

My HA never gets wet, even in rain and it still workes perfectly fine, but these could be useful for you guys who travel at sea etc etc

I take mine off as well if my hair is up and its raining...ive worn them on a boat once but that's the last time cuz ppl were trying to push me into the water and i flipped...i go to the cottage and im afraid one day someones going to throw me in with them on or while im at my uncles pool...someone better be ready to cough up some green if that ever happens lol

I can't really take them off too much, because I'm going over there to do nursing and I need to hear the patients and the other staff.

I think as long as u put them in a dry n store at least when ur days over at night u will be ok. I'm sure ppl in heated places do just fine with moisture probs. If i member correctly vivie lives in greece and its apparently VERY humid there and shes ok but i think she definitely uses dry and store.

I'll probably take my Dry n' Store and hope there's somewhere to plug it in. I'm maybe worrying too much about this, but I'd be in a right mess without them, especially doing nursing if I can't hear anything.

Water resistant. Can even be used for surface swimming is what the ad says,. Looks like a Rion hearing aid.

@ Lighthouse77, I think there are two parts to it.

Hearing aids operate on sound waves in the air, so there has to be some kind of input channel for sound to always go through.

In liquids, molecules are all jumbled together to form its shape. Rather unfortunately with the way water molecules are packed together.. the density of the liquid is increased (mass of 1 water molecule = 18 grams per mole), and with an increased density sound travel through them is very short, and almost nonexistent when making noises completely submerged in the ocean or pool.

With this in mind, that is probably why it is pointless to make hearing aids work underwater.. it would serve no true purpose other than be able to hear closeby. Even being close to a noise, there is most likely little or no clarity at all due to the molecules preventing the different "sound channels" from traveling. You'd need some high source of power to be able to make sounds in the first place, like that speaker you linked, but human voice can only go so far..

The second part likely has to do with the physics of hearing aids.
Water pressure alone is higher than air pressure, and a small device that may have difficulty operating underwater if it were even to be attempted.. I'm guessing it would have to be larger than what one would wear on their ear to withstand the nature of water.

Hi,

do u think NHS would have waterproof HA?

They won't adjust private HA's so costs of adjustments/repairs would fall on you if you buy one.

Back