Affirmative Action: Racist or Not?

Are you sure that was the reason, or could it simply have been that a candidate that was hired was more qualified?
Okay...

A student almost done with his information technology degree along with experience in four organizations (executive board positions) compared with students who just like to stand around with their BTE hearing aids hanging from their ears, their shirts half-on, screaming their heads off, not even halfway done with their 2-year degree (during their 4th year), and preferred activity of weed and beer.

Again the Civil Rights Act and ADA did that..... :shrug:

Oh well. enough said.....Decisions made based on race....are racist and wrong

So, you propose that the white male be hired and receive admission to educational institutions based on nothing more than the fact that he is a white male? Now that is racist. And sexist.

I've actually been turned down several times for a job in the past because I wasn't non-white.

then that's illegal. You were turned down due to racial discrimination, not Affirmative Action.

Okay...

A student almost done with his information technology degree along with experience in four organizations (executive board positions) compared with students who just like to stand around with their BTE hearing aids hanging from their ears, their shirts half-on, screaming their heads off, not even halfway done with their 2-year degree (during their 4th year), and preferred activity of weed and beer.

That sounds like a rather biased assessment, no offense intended. I'm sure the resumes didn't read that way. But, if your qualifications were more in line with the job requirements and you were not hired just because you were white, then that is illegal and what AA seeks to prevent.

Nice pandering.... And why a link to an AA group rather than a link to AA itself? Propaganda much?

Oh well. No use beating a dead horse. :wave:

Why not link to the Americans for Affirmative Action website? That is AA itself. Would you expect me to link to the White Supremists?

That isn't pandering. I bolded it to show that you are non-supportive of the very laws in place to protect you. AA is not about Black and white, despite some misguided belief that it is.

So, you propose that the white male be hired and receive admission to educational institutions based on nothing more than the fact that he is a white male? Now that is racist. And sexist.

Making stuff up AGAIN I see...... *smh*

Try reading the sentence more carefully...

then that's illegal. You were turned down due to racial discrimination, not Affirmative Action.

New Haven Conneticut Firefighters....... Started out as an AA policy. :shrug:

Making stuff up AGAIN I see...... *smh*

Try reading the sentence more carefully...

I asked a question. I made nothing up. That was not a statement. Why are you so defensive and afraid to answer simple questions?

New Haven Conneticut Firefighters....... Started out as an AA policy. :shrug:

That has virtually nothing to do with the situation Vampy was describing and Jiro was responding to. The issue there was if the testing procedures used were biased against minorities. It was decided they were not. So Affirmative Action worked in that case. No one was promoted based on race only, but solely on qualification.

I asked a question. I made nothing up. That was not a statement. Why are you so defensive and afraid to answer simple questions?

And why would ask such a question when quoting a statement that said making a decision based on race is wrong? Perhaps you are having a tough time understanding what you read. :dunno:

And why would ask such a question when quoting a statement that said making a decision based on race is wrong? Perhaps you are having a tough time understanding what you read. :dunno:

I asked the question because white is a race and male is a gender. Or did you not know that?

Were you also aware that Affirmative Action covers disabled veterans with a more than 30% disability?

That has virtually nothing to do with the situation Vampy was describing and Jiro was responding to. The issue there was if the testing procedures used were biased against minorities. It was decided they were not. So Affirmative Action worked in that case. No one was promoted based on race only, but solely on qualification.

From a liberal rag....

I'm not sure the Supreme Court's ruling in the New Haven firefighters case will do a lot to change that dynamic. This was a narrow ruling that overturned the city's affirmative action plan which led to whites with higher test scores being passed over. It also was a rebuke to Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor who ruled in the city's favor as a judge on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

After New Haven, Affirmative Action Is Not Back - Matthew Cooper - Politics - The Atlantic

I asked the question because white is a race and male is a gender. Or did you not know that?

was this so unclear to you that you had to ask?

Were you also aware that Affirmative Action covers disabled veterans with a more than 30% disability?

ADA....

Affirmative action emerged in the 1960s as a result of efforts by the civil rights movement to get America to honor its original contract, that "all [people] are created equal." In addition the Pledge of Allegiance promises "liberty and justice for all." This idealism is a promise of equal opportunity for all individuals regardless of color, national origin, race, religion and sex, which up to this point in history had not been honored for people of color. While first addressed to the needs of African-Americans, later on the needs of American Indians, Asian-Americans and Latinos were added. For this and other "unalienable rights," the founders and followers of the civil rights movement marched and died, and finally obtained the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

However, such action by itself, prohibiting discrimination in the present and in the future, did not necessarily correct past inequities. So what if people now had equal access, the advantage would still go to those who had benefited the longest and most from past discrimination. I may have equal access to get in the same boxing ring with Mike Tyson, but that¹s no guarantee of an equal opportunity of winning. The odds are stacked in favor of failure. Therefore in order to correct for such inequities, especially in the areas of housing, education, and employment, steps were taken to ensure that those groups that historically had been excluded or given limited access to societal rewards, were now given an opportunity to catch up. Thus, affirmative action refers to social policies encouraging favorable treatment of socially disadvantaged groups, especially in employment, education, and housing, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, in order to reverse historical trends of discrimination and to create equality of opportunity for qualified persons.

Keep in mind that affirmative action is essentially a "race/gender solution" to a "race/gender problem," with middle class white women as the greatest beneficiaries. The latter have benefited most as a result of a "minority" status, which gives them a decided advantage over African-Americans and Latinos in obtaining contracts, entitlements, set asides and executive positions, when the concern of those in power is to keep access to privilege in the hands of "whites." This is why the term "people of color" emerged in the late Œ80s early Œ90s, to differentiate white women from racial/ethnic groups, since both are designated as "minority." There is no such thing, however, as a race/gender solution to a race/gender problem, since "race" and "gender " are not the problem. If they were then all one would need to do is to change one¹s race and/or gender. The problem is racism as the deliberate structuring of privilege by means of an objective, differential and unequal treatment of people, for the purpose of social advantage over scarce resources, resulting in an ideology of supremacy which justifies power of position by placing a negative meaning on perceived or actual biological/cultural differences.

Affirmative Action: A Time for Change?

was this so unclear to you that you had to ask?

ADA....

The ADA does not provide for the same things that Affirmative Action does, unless you consider being a middle class white female to be a disability.:cool2:

At the heart of "justice as fairness" lies equal treatment, which wrongly assumes everyone is the same and thus the need for "fair play," which we all learn from childhood. But socio-historical circumstances preclude equality. This is why in some track and field events, the starting blocks are staggered, so that everyone will have an equal opportunity. Affirmative action, then, is equitable measures(short of restructuring society)which seek to make for a level playing field. Why? Because as Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

Again, this was about the inherent bias in testing procedures. ?

That were part of the city's affirmative action plan........ Those well qualified firefighters had to wait 6 years because of the city's affirmative action plan.

Case closed.

That were part of the city's affirmative action plan........ Those well qualified firefighters had to wait 6 years because of the city's affirmative action plan.

Case closed.

Because the tests had to be proven not to be biased against the minority candidates. Again, Affrmative Action worked in this case. No one was promoted based on race, because the tests were shown to be fair to minority candidates. Therefore, promotions were made based on achievement and qualification. That is the part of Affirmative Action that you don't seem to grasp.

Why did you skip the question that was asked in the post you quoted in your reply? Which group do you think has received the most benefit from Affirmative Action?

Well, it looks like it is going to take you awhile to answer that question, too; if you ever do. I'll be back tomorrow.

Back