Haiti Earthquake in Photos **graphic image triggered**

The true act of God:

Jan. 14: Redjeson Hausteen Claude, 2, reacts to his mother after he was rescued from a collapsed home by Belgian and Spanish crews.

edited to addon without bumping the thread: I just wanted to say this picture made me cry. In a midst of being scared and hurt and full of strangers, a child sees fimilar face, his mother. Seeing a child rejoining with their mother is always a happy moment.

Last edited:
I'm donating $30 to the Red Cross on Monday to go towards Haiti. I'm going to try to get my parents to do the same. The goal is $1000... but I think that we could make a lot more than that.

I'm donating $30 to the Red Cross on Monday to go towards Haiti. I'm going to try to get my parents to do the same. The goal is $1000... but I think that we could make a lot more than that.
I have a problem about that. Thanks for reminding me. I will post the convo I had with friend via FB status.

[Friend] Cried my eyes out last night watching the NBC special about Haiti. My heart was broken to see that while I am sitting in the house. Only thing I can do is to donate to Red Cross. I hope there are many others that can see that $5, $10, $20, $50 etc for us is just lunch money, or a night without drinking or partying. We can help to find the light for them.

there there... *hug* I know but for some odd reason - I don't believe in donation to big name like Red Cross because of their notorious misuse and mis-allocation of funds

[Friend] Really? How so?

for example - obviously this kind of incident will bring in tons tons of millions of dollars. They (not just Red Cross but other relief organizations as well) tend to buy many unnecessary supplies and ship it anyway just because they felt good doing so. Most of time - these excess supplies just sit there in the warehouse and rot away. Other case which was an "allegation" - the funds do not go to where it was intended for and it ends up being wasted in bureaucracy.

[Friend's friend 1] I don't know you Jiro, but I totally agree - I don't donate to the big name organizations either. I cleaned out my closet, I'm sending down BAGS of clothes and shoes.

that's the way I do it!! every year - I donate tons of USEFUL things - clothes, food, supplies, and even service (as volunteer). That's 10000x more useful than money and I feel very good knowing that my stuff can be of use for them. I detested donating money. I don't like it because I don't know where it's going and how it's being spent.

[Friend's Friend 2] I agree, a few years ago with the Tsunami that hit a lot of that money went in the pockets of politicians. Have to be very careful in donating to a disaster site in a 3rd world country cause there are so many people who use that for their own gains. I rather give clothing or stuff like that or if you do give money do your research and find out as much as you can about that organization.

[Friend] True but too late. Plus I was watching interview from Clinton wondering the same thing and he said $ is better then foods and clothes right now. With cash flow they can purchase water or purification equipments or shelters. Aiii I donno. Just want to do something. Anything.

Not that I'm dissing Red Cross but I just don't believe it costs MILLIONS of dollars to help 3rd world country. It is not necessary. $100,000 to Haitians is like $10,000,000 so it doesn't make any sense to have the entire world pooling in $$$. The most valuable resource is.... the native people. They want to help for free and they're willing to rebuild their homes, schools, church but they need tools. The wealthy countries especially us regular citizens have enough supplies (food/clothes/wood/tools/etc.) to help entire Haiti. Red Cross & others don't need to buy brand new products when we people are throwing away junks that are useful to Haitians.

[Friend] its good you wanted to help and you did your part. The part that concerns me is the people running these organizations. Its like FEMA when we had the hurricane. So many of the supplies went unused. Supplies that were bought with millions and millions of dollars. We should all do our part in Haiti, it is our human obligation. But I think these large organizations sometimes take advantage of that part of it.

here's a problem - $$$$$ to buy water equipment and water purifier equipment? all lovely and nice. very noble. What they failed to account for is..... these equipment needs a qualified mechanic to maintain it and a reliable source of electricity. You're not gonna find that in Haiti or in third world country. All for more reason why $$$ donation to buy fancy equipments is an EPIC FAIL especially for third world country.

MIT students have already figured out how to build laundry machine by using bicycle and a few stuff readily available in any countries.

read Eco Gadgets: MIT Students Develop Pedal-powered Washing Machine From Recycled Materials - Ecofriend

At :38 second, there was a lady trying to arm-wing to keep herself balanced - hilarious!

You're sick! There is nothing hilarious about thinking you're going to die in an earthquake! I was in one in Ca. and my daughter was at school, it was horrible not being with my child when the earthquake hit! A wall in my house started to crack and my floor was rolling and a small table was moving! There was not a damn thing hilarious about it!

You're sick! There is nothing hilarious about thinking you're going to die in an earthquake! I was in one in Ca. and my daughter was at school, it was horrible not being with my child when the earthquake hit! A wall in my house started to crack and my floor was rolling and a small table was moving! There was not a damn thing hilarious about it!

calm down.

Photos taken shortly after the earthquake showing the devestation ... *caution* some blood and injured including the dead. The last photo is most poignant.
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201..._in_haiti.html
Another photo essay... http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...uake-in-haiti/

Interesting video of a dog sensing an earthquake just moments before it happens... not in haiti but still probably what happened on the island in the city. See how dog just tears on outta there!
[yt]FV4EMzyJsqU&[/yt]

Another angle...
[yt]34aWabCkrgk&[/yt]

My sister and went to vist her friend and mother in small in Massachusetts.
The people had two parrots and they were sitting on their bird purse resting.
We all in the kitchen talking and out of no where the the birds freaked out and flew across the room! We had no idea what made the parrots so upset ,
till we found out an earthquake happen! All four us did not feel the earthquake as it was so little but the parrots sure did! My mom felt it as she was in bed when it happen and had no idea what was going on. We never had an earthquake in our town before.
It horrible about what happen Haiti and hearting breaking to watch on TV

"Expect Gettysburg"
Yesterday I flew to Port-au Prince along with a team of medical doctors from the University of Miami. As the sun set and we made our descent, I asked the physician on the plane with the most experience working in Haiti, Dr. John MacDonald, what to expect.

“Expect Gettysburg,” he said.

“What?” I asked.

“Expect Gettysburg,” he repeated. “You know, the kind of medicine they practiced in the Civil War.”

Once I arrived, I saw what MacDonald meant.

While doctors here aren’t anesthetizing patients with liquor the way they did in the Civil War, the care at the makeshift hospital I’ve been reporting from is certainly rudimentary. An hour ago, I watched University of Miami trauma surgeon Dr. Enrique Ginzburg amputate a woman’s foot without general anesthesia, using only a local anesthetic and sedation. The nurse stood by his side, sterilizing surgical instruments in an open pan of soapy water.

Some 250 severely injured patients have been treated at this facility on the United Nations compound near the airport. Almost all of them have orthopedic injuries and open wounds. In a modern hospital, doctors would do surgery to clean the wounds and give intravenous antibiotics. Here, they receive only oral antibiotics and morphine for the pain.

“This is so frustrating,” MacDonald told me. “I wish we could do more.”

So far, three patients out of the 250 have died, but doctors fear that number could go up dramatically. MacDonald explains it takes about six or seven days after a wound occurs for septicemia to set in – that’s a blood borne infection that can quickly shut down the body’s major organs. It’s been three days since the earthquake happened. The clock is ticking.

Editor's Note: Medical news is a popular but sensitive subject rooted in science. We receive many comments on this blog each day; not all are posted. Our hope is that much will be learned from the sharing of useful information and personal experiences based on the medical and health topics of the blog. We encourage you to focus your comments on those medical and health topics and we appreciate your input. Thank you for your participation.

Watching those videos just gave me goosebumps. I cant imagine what it must be like although I did get a taste of it after the 89 earthquake in CA.

I have a problem about that. Thanks for reminding me. I will post the convo I had with friend via FB status.

I understand (and agree), but I do not have the means to do those things. The only way I can help is by giving money to the Red Cross. $30 doesn't seem like much, but for a 17 year old high school student without a job (at the moment), that's all I can give.

I understand (and agree), but I do not have the means to do those things. The only way I can help is by giving money to the Red Cross. $30 doesn't seem like much, but for a 17 year old high school student without a job (at the moment), that's all I can give.

$30+ x 1000000+ other people = tons of million dollars

I'm not interested in donating $$$ but only products

30.00 dollars of wood...

30 pounds of nails.......

30 bags of food..........

30 pairs of pants........

30 rolls of bandages....

the haitians at this point will take anything to help them.

You SHOULD donate cash, they don't need goods... they got plenty of them.. when you donate cash, they're able to pruchase goods and organize them more efficiently. When you donate goods, they cannot verify and test goods individually and slows the process.

Red Cross is highly reputable and you can rely on it to do well.

You SHOULD donate cash, they don't need goods... they got plenty of them.. when you donate cash, they're able to pruchase goods and organize them more efficiently. When you donate goods, they cannot verify and test goods individually and slows the process.

you can do that but I will not. I will not donate to Red Cross. I prefer Doctors Beyond Border or something smaller.

No they're not. There's plenty of places that are boycotting the Red Cross because of corrupted bureaucrats, poorly-designed policies (especially their approach to Africa), and past blunders. Hell, there's a few provinces here that kicked out the Red Cross.

30 pairs of pants........

30 Pairs of pants???
Should say 30 pairs of shoes (two same size of shoe = one for left foot and one for right foot)

or

I have little joke:
Just cover two legs without private parts or human with 4 legs???
Okay, I am going to cut off my pant's legs. I keep shorts. Donate 30 pairs of .........

Netrox,

What choice do they have?

They don't have the medical technologies to match other countries.

I think is done to prevent diseases or infections from spreading, not to mention the stink of dead bodies after a few days of being trapped in rubble, at this point, most bodies are so bloated and unrecognizable and already starting the decomp process.

These are people that are, more than likely, unidentified. Which is sad

......there are going to be a lot of Haitians that will never find closure.

...it has been estimated that 3 million haitians have been affected by the earthquake: one-third of the haitian population.

Netrox,

What choice do they have?

They don't have the medical technologies to match other countries.

I think is done to prevent diseases or infections from spreading, not to mention the stink of dead bodies after a few days of being trapped in rubble, at this point, most bodies are so bloated and unrecognizable and already starting the decomp process.

These are people that are, more than likely, unidentified. Which is sad

......there are going to be a lot of Haitians that will never find closure.

...it has been estimated that 3 million haitians have been affected by the earthquake: one-third of the haitian population.

That is pretty damn big.

Back