t-coil

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Does anyone use something like a music-link t-coil earhook (like this) to listen to music with? I'm just curious about them, and if they work well. My personal FM transmitter once again isn't working and it'll probably be pricey to have it fixed, so I am checking into t-coil related stuff. I have a neckloop (somewhere.......), but I don't like it much. But if a t-coil ear hook works well, I just may order one and give it a try.

I have a direct input cable that goes from my Ipod to the processor. The sound is really clear and I can use it both on 100% telecoil or telecoil mix. I believe that all brands sell this and you might find one included in your particular brand package anyway.

Why don't you like neckloops? I would have suggested the Artone bluetooth neckloop.

Cochlear also has something called a microlink (AB has something too but I don't remember the name of it), that you plug into the processor and which allows for t-coil input into wireless accessories such as phone, MP3 player, FM systems etc. It's rather pricey so I hear but if you go a university or have an employer you might be able to swing them into paying for it.

It's to use with my hearing aid, and with the neckloop on, I always pick up on the buzzing sounds from my computer if I'm near it and such. Supposedly the earhook ones don't pick up on the interferences as much as the neckloops do, since they sit right on the ear right next to the hearing aid.. I don't know, but yeah.

I have the microlink system, but the transmitter is screwed yet again, and I'm just frustrated at how frequently I have to replace/repair the transmitter or receiver.

cdmeggers,

I would bet that it is not the neck loop or ear hook that is picking up the buzz. Your hearing aid is picking up the electromagnetic signals from your monitor/computer just like it does with the neck loop or ear hook. Try using the T-coil under powerlines or in a car. If the signal is there, you won't be able to block it even by adding another source of noise(signal). Just like listening with the microphone. If the noise is there, it will be amplified. Amaizing what you can hear inside a car or under powerlines. Powerlines buzz at 60hz in the US. Some other countries run at 50hz. If you are in a car, you may hear the fuel pump, spark plugs, alternator, maybe the dash light dimmer depending on what kind of car you ride in along with maybe a whole lot of other stuff.

I would use my hearing aid T-coil to listen to the Diesel Fuel Injector controls on my truck to understand how they work. Really is neat if you are into that. People with normal hearing need special tools to look at that signal but I can hear it. Cool.

I use a Hatis single ear ear hook on my cell and work phones. I have a CI and use the personal audio cable with my XM receiver. For me, the T-coil setting even with the other noise was easier to use since the microphone was turned off or turned down when T-coil program was selected.

Hope it helps.

I still would like to try one of the ear hooks though. I was comparing the music-link with the hattis, wow hattis is expensive! I just want to be able to listen to music when I can't use my personal FM, and I was hoping maybe the earhook would be better than the neckloop volume wise.. with neckloop everything is too quiet, even with volume on CD player and hearing aid turned up to MAX. Is the earhook better?

I still would like to try one of the ear hooks though. I was comparing the music-link with the hattis, wow hattis is expensive! I just want to be able to listen to music when I can't use my personal FM, and I was hoping maybe the earhook would be better than the neckloop volume wise.. with neckloop everything is too quiet, even with volume on CD player and hearing aid turned up to MAX. Is the earhook better?

Yes, I noticed the price difference too. But be careful, a lot of the time you get what you pay for. Does the company offer a trial period where you can return it if you aren't happy with it?

I found with hearing aids that some t-coil facilities were too quiet, such as loop systems at movie theatres and halls. But that has changed with the CI. Now, they sound loud enough and crystal clear to the point that I can follow a talk from the back of a hall. One particular hall's loop system I have tried with both hearing aids and CIs and the difference was remarkable. You also may find that neckloops will work much better volume wise with a CI too. The good thing about the CI is that with the different program slots. you can customise programs to work well for different occasions. So theoretically, the volume issues should be overcome.

So I would wait until you have gone through the process with the CI and if the evaluation is successful, then wipe your previous experiences with your hearing aid clean and start again, as if you were trying products for the first time. CIs don't work like hearing aids and is effectively artificial hearing. So your past experiences may no longer be relevent.

Even if I am a candidate, it may be a while before I actually get a CI, as human resources here at my job is still trying to figure out the insurance thing for me, and that probably will take some time.

I just would like something to work with my HA until I can get my FM fixed or until I get the CI, or something like that.

Even if I am a candidate, it may be a while before I actually get a CI, as human resources here at my job is still trying to figure out the insurance thing for me, and that probably will take some time.

I just would like something to work with my HA until I can get my FM fixed or until I get the CI, or something like that.

Oh okay - it seems that insurance issues affect a lot of people :(

In that case then it sounds like that ear hook might be something worth trying as a short term fix. Do they offer a money back guarantee?

Back