Bad Words in Sign Language

Nancy

Reaction score
Today at lunch, one of the workers there said a bad word while talking about I guess her homelife (our boss was sitting there at lunch with us, but I guess she didn't care. LOL). I missed that one (she told me that she said a bad word but she isn't going to repeat it), but then she said another bad word that I actually caught her saying it (the B.S. word). I told her "I got that one!", and one of the ladies started laughing. I told her that I know bad words in sign language. LOL
I first learned the bad words in sign from my deaf/HOH classmates in high school (they cussed up a storm in their classes and on my bus). From them, I learned the signs for "F---", "Sh--", "Fart". When I was 16 in 1987, I saw the movie "Children of a Lesser God" and Marlee Matlin was using the "F" word in sign which I already knew at the time. When I got older (in my early 20s), I learned from another person what B.S. is in sign language. LOL
You see, I grew up with a severe hearing loss since age 2 years old, so I was mostly oral (with speechreading, notetakers, etc.) in school and other places. I first learned sign at age 14 or 15....I learned that my old deaf high school teacher (deaf since age 3) didn't learn sign until in college! :)
When did you learn bad words in sign language for the first time? :)

I learned bad word ASL at CSDR. Nasty habit to break after I left there. Took me one year to be clean.

That’s funny—the first time I saw anybody sign "fuck you" was the scene on the beach in Children of a Lesser God. I also knew what it meant, but I had never seen it before.

:lol:

i learned the "F" word when i was very young! so my sister and i would say VA-CUme... instead of the "F" word while growing up :lol: my parents had no clue what it meant until VERY RECENTLY! imagine that??? it was hilarious when we told them that.. :rofl:

The first sentance I learned in ASL was - :fu: :sure: It can be used at many different times. See how often you can use it daily...

Ah, I don't really remember how old I was when I learned the bad words in sign Langauge. :dunno:

Yes, I do remember the movie Children of the Lesser God when she signed "Fuck you" LOL! That was funny. But, in that movie she was so subborn. Oh geeze.

I remember when I was really young, like 6 years old, and learned the F word, but my sister told me to pronounicate it as "feee!" So, sometimes I would say it and my sister would go dramatic on me, saying I am such a bad boy, etc... My parents never understood until later on when I said Fee! to my dad. He was like huh, what the heck is that?

Another mean trick my sister had me doing was when she said blow job once, and I asked her what it meant. She refused to tell me then she said it meant when someone touched his butt against the butt of another person and both farted at same time. So, my sister would have me saying "b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-looooow job!" LMAO... My parents thought it was too funny.

Lol...

When I was about 5, I thought fuck was said as "fancy" coz I had seen my mum say the word heaps of times... so from there on, I said "fancy" whenever I was mad, lol.

I first learnt signs for bad words when I was in grade 6... before then I wasn't exposed to bad words whilst around deaf people. Call me slow :P

when i was 7 years old i learn bad words in sign then i teach all my family LOL

Nancy said:
Today at lunch, one of the workers there said a bad word while talking about I guess her homelife (our boss was sitting there at lunch with us, but I guess she didn't care. LOL). I missed that one (she told me that she said a bad word but she isn't going to repeat it), but then she said another bad word that I actually caught her saying it (the B.S. word). I told her "I got that one!", and one of the ladies started laughing. I told her that I know bad words in sign language. LOL
I first learned the bad words in sign from my deaf/HOH classmates in high school (they cussed up a storm in their classes and on my bus). From them, I learned the signs for "F---", "Sh--", "Fart". When I was 16 in 1987, I saw the movie "Children of a Lesser God" and Marlee Matlin was using the "F" word in sign which I already knew at the time. When I got older (in my early 20s), I learned from another person what B.S. is in sign language. LOL
You see, I grew up with a severe hearing loss since age 2 years old, so I was mostly oral (with speechreading, notetakers, etc.) in school and other places. I first learned sign at age 14 or 15....I learned that my old deaf high school teacher (deaf since age 3) didn't learn sign until in college! :)
When did you learn bad words in sign language for the first time? :)
HAHAHA I learned bad words signs before I attended to the deaf school... My parents were deaf,, i went with them to the deaf club watching all deafies signing away.. thats how I learned,,,

SxyPorkie
:dunno:

Levonian said:
That’s funny—the first time I saw anybody sign "fuck you" was the scene on the beach in Children of a Lesser God. I also knew what it meant, but I had never seen it before.

You mean that's not the Universal Sign of Disrespect--as in, flipping the bird? ;)

I remember years ago when I would have co-workers ask me how to sign in bad words. Then they would go running to other co-workers and sign to them. Then those co-workers would come to me asking what that sign meant. Hehehe! :lol:

I think I first learned how to use bad language when I went to Deaf school and my mom was sooo real upset then over the years I have had hearing people when I am in various social settings swear signs to me or they want to know how to say a bad word in sign , some of the guys would try to impress their girls in front of me by asking me how to use bad words and the guys get all excitied but then when I try to teach them the real deal, ASL with no bad words, funny how they lose interest fast then eventually the girls come around and really want to learn ASL then the guys go Uh-oh what happened here, man ? and I try to teach the guys real ASL but then they get all puffed up with pride and never really get around to learning ASL saying it is too hard to learn and I am going huh ? It would not be so hard if they took the time to really focus and listen, relax their hands you know?

I've had several people coming up to me, asking how to sign bad words, it excites them. The thrill of knowing different ways to express cuss words. *rolling my eyes* I don't mind but sometimes it gets tiring when it's all they want to know not the real language. It seems to me that women are most likely to be willing to learn and practice sign language. I've had the experience of teaching over 40 women this past year and none of them were men. However, from other times, there was maybe 1 or 2 who was eager to learn the language but it appears their attention span of learning was brief.

I'm sure not everyone is like that.

loveofwine said:
I've had several people coming up to me, asking how to sign bad words, it excites them. The thrill of knowing different ways to express cuss words. *rolling my eyes* I don't mind but sometimes it gets tiring when it's all they want to know not the real language.

I know just what you mean. I get hearing people asking me all the time how to say "bad words" in sign language. Mostly I blow it off by saying that cursing doesn't really work the same way in ASL and English but if they push it, I usually just say "no." It bugs me that people want to know the signs for every bit of male and female genitalia but not how to sign "have a nice day."

But I guess it's just human nature. I minored in French in college so I took the language very seriously but of course I still wanted to know how to say all the naughty stuff. :whistle:

I think it IS human nature. I had a Spanish teacher in college that on occasion taught us a swear word and other off-color phrases. In fact, the first thing he said on the first day, of one class, was the phrase, "He tenido un pedo cerebral." (Literally "I've had a brain fart.") Reason being, he'd forgotten what room the class was in and made us wait!

There was one guy here at NTID who would teach people the wrong sign language. One gal asked him how to sign "Nice to meet you." He showed them the sign language for "I want to fuck you." This gal then approached my friend and signed it to him and he was startled at first. As usual, my friend was a very understanding guy and pointed out what she had just signed. She was so embarassed. When my friend asked her where she learned that sign and she told him it was this other guy.

Later, we found out that he was doing it to a lot of people.

Sadly, most of the people who were here for years (since he was here for years) are gone... the NTID freshmen don't know of his reputation. So, they look up to him when he goes around bragging that he can be relied on for help.

I start signed a "flip off" to my mom when i was 4 years old. I learned from movie, Children of a Lesser God. My mom was full suprised and asked where did I learn. I replied, "HA HA, its Deaf secret sign." So on my mom ground me for good.

ideafspy said:
I start signed a "flip off" to my mom when i was 4 years old. I learned from movie, Children of a Lesser God. My mom was full suprised and asked where did I learn. I replied, "HA HA, its Deaf secret sign." So on my mom ground me for good.

Meaning are you still on ground since then eh ? lol cute ! I know not nice but it does funny .. make me laugh ... oh dear !! :)

Interpretrator said:
I know just what you mean. I get hearing people asking me all the time how to say "bad words" in sign language. Mostly I blow it off by saying that cursing doesn't really work the same way in ASL and English but if they push it, I usually just say "no." It bugs me that people want to know the signs for every bit of male and female genitalia but not how to sign "have a nice day."

But I guess it's just human nature. I minored in French in college so I took the language very seriously but of course I still wanted to know how to say all the naughty stuff. :whistle:

Thk- U Terp from LMM
She feels same as you do she say's.. She have taught a man a few bad words, But that's because he works for the Deaf. He was taking his frist ASl class from yes a Deafie teacher. LMM is sure he have lot's more. most time LMM won't teach new people bad Language.
LMM say's " U day nice now."

LMM {Terp}

Back