Morpheme not morphine...

rebeccalj

Reaction score
We start interesting discussion in another thread and kind of take off topic so bringing here.

Journey very helpful to explain 'cha' but wonder about 'pah' morpheme.

Do you know where these originate from? Or when you use them with other sign? Are there *other* morpheme?

Just want a place for us 'Oral' deafies to learn more about this.

Maybe Journey and Jazz can re-post links from other thread so in one place?

rebecca, "helpful" is a generous compliment for what I did haha, but I thank you.

Here's the link: ASLPro.com - Mouth Morphemes

And Sunny, it makes no sense to you because you are light years ahead of us in ASL ;-).

We start interesting discussion in another thread and kind of take off topic so bringing here.

Journey very helpful to explain 'cha' but wonder about 'pah' morpheme.

Do you know where these originate from? Or when you use them with other sign? Are there *other* morpheme?

Just want a place for us 'Oral' deafies to learn more about this.

Maybe Journey and Jazz can re-post links from other thread so in one place?

Many other morphemes... AS much as I dislike Aslpro.com - they have a good list.

oh PFH so many possible comebacks for that, but I am a lady and will say none of them:laugh2:.

Rebecca, your thread title is cracking me up!

Somehow it came up in the other thread that a lot of signs are supposed to be signed along with special mouth movements called morphemes.

So, for example, if you are signing the word 'big' -- you are suppose to mouth 'cha' at the same time. If you don't -- then apparently you are proving you aren't fluent in ASL! Which I do a lot. hehe. Actually I lie, I don't know enough ASL yet to even be on the same continent of being fluent in ASL. Someday, I hope ...

Anyway ... here are some links to see how to mouth 'cha' at the same time you make the sign 'big' or 'large' --

Go to: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Click on 'L' and then click on 'large.'

You can also click on 'B' and then click on 'big', but I like the way the first woman mouths it (mouths it, is that the right way to express that???) better.

I think Journey found the best web site though -- a dictionary just for Mouth Morphemes!

Really fascinating, but at the moment I'm worried how I'm ever going to be able to keep it all straight. A lot of the morphemes just don't seem intuitive to me.

Haiku

You missed my morpheme.
And it was very funny.
But not offended.

Back