The benefits of Lemon Water

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was out with a friend at a restaurant and she was ordering a glass of iced water with the lemon in it. I had to be curious and wonder how it tasted. I asked her if it was kinda sour or anything like that since lemon are known to be a little bit sour. She was like, nope it's not that sour. It just makes it a bit tangy for the water to drink. So, I took the liberty to satisfy my curiousity to give it a try and ordered one for myself. To my surprise, it did taste good. I thought to myself "Hey, this is really good, it doesn't taste too sour or too strong. It's perfect for my taste" I have never been a fan of drinking water because it always tasted so plain to me but after trying the lemon water, I thought it would be a change to perhaps at least get me off those soda pops.

Anyway, so naturally I was curious how good the lemon water would be and what is the purpose of drinking it to serve our body for the better? I did a little bit of digging it up and there were some informations that I was intrigued to see.

The benefits of having lemon water would be -

The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile, and is very good in cases of malaria. Sufferers of chronic rheumatism and gout will benefit by taking lemon juice, also those who have a tendency to bleed, uterine hemorrhages, etc.; rickets and tuberculosis. In pregnancy, it will help to build bone in the child. We find that the lemon contains certain elements which will go to build up a healthy system and keep that system healthy and well. As a food, we find, owing to its potassium content, it will nourish the brain and nerve cells. Its calcium builds up the bony structure and makes healthy teeth.

“Its magnesium, in conjunction with calcium, has an important part to play in the formation of albumen in the blood. The lemon contains potassium 48.3, calcium 29.9, phosphorus 11.1, magnesium 4.4. Lemons are useful in treating asthma, biliousness, colds, coughs, sore throat, diphtheria, la grippe [flu or influenza], heartburn, liver complaint, scurvy, fevers and rheumatism.”

The purpose of the lemon is to:
A) Provide a natural strengthening agent to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
B) The liver can make more enzymes out of fresh lemon juice than any other food element.
C) The lemon helps fix oxygen and calciums in the liver because it regulates blood carbohydrate levels which affect the blood oxygen levels.

There are so many lemon remedies that I found quite interesting to share as well -

For sore throat, dilute lemon juice with water and gargle frequently. Dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water. It is even better to use straight lemon juice.
· A slice of lemon bound over a corn overnight will greatly relieve the pain.
· A slice of lemon bound over a felon [pus formation on a finger joint] will not fail to bring the pus to the surface where it can be easily removed.
· To relieve asthma, take a tablespoon of lemon juice one hour before each meal.
· For liver complaints, the juice of the lemon should be taken in a glass of hot water one hour before breakfast every morning.
· To break up la grippe [flu or influenza], drink a large glass of hot water with the juice of a lemon added, while at the same time have the feet in a deep bucket or other vessel of water with mustard added to it. The water should be deep enough to where it comes nearly up to the knees. Keep adding hot water to the patient's tolerance and until the patient begins to perspire freely (about 20-30 minutes). Be sure there is no draft on the person while this is done. The patient should be near a bed so he can get in it easily and avoid any danger of getting chilled. If convenient, a full hot bathtub would be good in place of the foot-bath. The lemon water should be taken every hour until the patient feels that all the symptoms of the cold are gone.
· A teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water relieves heartburn.
· For rheumatism, one or two ounces of lemon juice diluted in water should be taken three times a day: one hour before meals and at bedtime.
· In cases of hemorrhage, lemon juice diluted in water and taken as cold as possible will stop it.
· Scurvy is treated by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice diluted with water every two to four hours.
· In excessive menstruation the juice of three to four lemons a day will help check it. Best to take the juice of one lemon at a time in a glass of cold water.

hi folks, lemon is excellent for health... warm water with lemon is better than cold water with lemon bec cold water causes bad health like cancer, running nose, etc. Dont drink lemon water daily.....take it temporary only. take care...

im really like lemon with tea that good for me and also water too! sometimes without lemon dont worry

hi folks, lemon is excellent for health... warm water with lemon is better than cold water with lemon bec cold water causes bad health like cancer, running nose, etc. Dont drink lemon water daily.....take it temporary only. take care...

Oh please, dont bring this up!

You could mix lemon juice with 100 percent PURE oilve oil and eat it by one spoonful. It's good for your liver and other functions I forget.

Very interestin' thread, Jolie -- I usually drink cold water with a sliced of lemon in it and use it in iced tea, too. I also like to drink plain cold water ( bottle only, not from the sink where the faucet is due to chemicals in it ).

Lemon is good for you. :)

And do please explain why we should not drink lemon water daily? From what I have known, drinking lemon water with the cold or hot water goes great in both ways. I also have to wonder, Where does it say that cold water causes bad healths, cancers, runny noses and such as that? Sure, If the water is not properly filtered or has the bacteria in it then yes, it would be understandable but I have not known of a case where cold water does actually cause these.

If I drink water in restaurants I always order it with lemon. Also I find if I am thirsty and I drink plain water I only take a sip or two. If the water has lemon I can drink 4 or 5 glasses before I am not thirsty anymore.

I think with the lemon, it doesnt satisfy a thirst which makes it easier to drink more. Which is good because the average person should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day, with or without lemon

Hi All,

For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable toyou. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed.

It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm
water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks - You should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. 60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive.

A cardiologist says if everyone who reads this message sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life. Read this &Send the link to a friend. It could save a life. So, please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about.

Its never late....Forward soon....Better late than never!!

I just came across an enquiry from a user asking about the bad effects of drinking cold water.Thats what tempted me to post this.I myself used to drink loads of cold water.

Anyway, I am not saying that Cold water is bad for health or something like that.But its always better to avoid it after a meal, particularly if the food is rich in oily stuff and all!!::ugh3:

Better have a hot soup or warm water after food!!

I disagree. Where did you the information from? Oh yeah, maybe it is according to yourself. Stick to the sources to yourself.

I drank plenty of cold bottle water myself and never had health problems associating to drinking cold water. Oh yeah, the taste of cold water is a bliss compared to drinking warm, yucky water. Please research more about lemons and water before post inaccurate informations or your own sources.

Hi All,
For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable toyou. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed.

It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm
water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks - You should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. 60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive.

A cardiologist says if everyone who reads this message sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life. Read this &Send the link to a friend. It could save a life. So, please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about.
Snopes says this is false.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Drinking Cold Water Causes Cancer

Hi All,

water after a meal.

That is part of a email that has been sent around the net and is false. Urban Legends wrote about it:

"Rule of thumb: don't take health advice from anonymous forwarded emails. I scoured every available medical database for articles confirming -- or even suggesting -- that drinking cold water with meals is harmful, and found not a single one. There's no scientific basis for the claim that cold water will "solidify the oily stuff" you have just consumed, or that this "sludge" will "line the intestine," let alone "turn into fats" and "lead to cancer."

It's mumbo-jumbo, and self-contradictory mumbo-jumbo at that. The email states that drinking cold water "slows down the digestion," yet in the very next sentence declares that it will cause the your stomach contents to "break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster." Which is it?

What studies do exist mainly extoll the benefits of drinking cold water, especially during and after vigorous exercise. Cold water is absorbed by the body more quickly than warm water and can help lower one's body temperature, preventing dehydration."

Here's another article about how it is false: Digital Journal

"As a conclusion, present medical knowledge indicates that drinking cold water during or after a meal is no more dangerous for our health than drinking hot water. This mail is a hoax. The information in it should not be taken seriously. It should be deleted, and certainly not be sent to anyone."

I have also heard that lemon water helps speed up the metabolism. I am not sure of the validity behind this statement, as increased fluid consumption (water) is definitely beneficial for the body, but I always put a little bit of lemon juice in my water. I add it to the brita pitcher. It tastes better!

Interesting...

Served with a slice of lemon in mineral or soda water automatic in many German resturants. We leave slice of lemon in mineral or soda water to soak... They also served few sliced of lemon on bread crumbed coat meats and fishes as well then we can squeeze the lemon with our fork ourselves

I add pure lemon juice or squeeze one fresh lemon in the glass before add the water daily.

Hi All,

water after a meal.

This is myth!!!

Reba beat me!!!!

It's health to drink water before and after meal time. Our body need one to two liter fluid a day... Drink water or herbal tea a day, not sweetner and caffeinated drinks.

Drink ice water burn few calories...

Lemon Juice

The only citrus fruit that will help make your
blood alkaline. You want your blood slightly
alkaline for maximum health.

The only citrus fruit that will help make your
blood alkaline. You want your blood slightly
alkaline for maximum health.

Sorry, it's a misleading information.

Eating any foods including citrus fruits (important nutrients) do not effect your blood.

Important is eat more protein nutrients (I mean limit) and low fat.

About Dr. Reams and Lemons

From a Reams practitioner on lemon:

Lemons are the only food which are purely anionic. The catch is that this is only true of fresh lemons.

After about 30 minutes of exposure to air (oxygen), lemon juice becomes cationic. The confusion comes when one thinks in terms of acid and alkaline. Lemon juice would always be thought of as acid, but, while fresh, is anionic (which corresponds to alkaline). If you had an acid urine pH and you used Dr. Reams' lemon/water drink as he suggested, your pH would become more alkaline. This seems illogical when you think of lemon juice as acidic. But it's not, its anionic. In addition to fresh lemon juice, the only other thing that is purely anionic is pure calcium.

To explain anionic and cationic... an ion is a molecule with an electric charge. An anion contains the smallest amount of energy known to man. One anion will contain from 1 to 499 Milhouse units of energy. It is a negative charged ion. Anionic corresponds to alkaline. Its electrons orbit around the nucleus in a clockwise direction.

A cation corresponds to acid. One cation will contain from 500 to 999 Milhouse units of energy. It is a positive charged ion. Its electrons orbit in a counter-clockwise direction. When a cation gains more than 999 Milhouse units of energy, it splits into two anions.

According to Reams, the key issue here concerns our digestive process. The gastric juice produced by the liver is anionic. All foods (except fresh lemons) are a varying mixture of cationic and anionic. When the anionic gastric juices come into contact with cationic foods, the two ions react to each other, much like vinegar and baking soda, and energy is released to be used by the body. Let me quote from Dr. Reams, ''We do not live off the food we eat, we live off the energy from the food we eat. The anion rotates in a clockwise direction. The cation in a counter-clockwise direction. Resistance is created when these two moving forces, rotating in opposite directions, collide. The measure of the resistance, in chemistry, is called ''pH''. When a person gets sick, there are not enough anionic substances present to supply the energy he needs from the cationic foods eaten.'' Add to that the issue of the foods being demineralized, and the problem becomes more serious.

Back