Boy woke up from coffin, ask for water then back to dead.

Wirelessly posted

Yup, that is where the term. "Saved by the bell" came from. I feel the boy may have sat up. Nerves and muscles do funny things once a person passes. I know a turtles heart can beat for days after death.

Interesting Fact: Many believe the terms “Saved by the bell” and “Dead ringer” has to do with safety coffins with the notion that a recently buried person could pull a rope attached to a bell outside the coffin to alert people that he or she is not deceased. Both of these have been proven false. Saved by the bell is a boxing term dating from the 1930s. Ringer is from horse racing and is a horse substituted for another of similar appearance in order to defraud the bookies. Dead was then added to the term later like ‘dead on’, ‘dead center’ etc.

10 Horrifying Premature Burials

There was an entire market for caskets and contraptions that would provide extra ways of preventing an individual from suffering a premature burial. Signal bells were installed next to some graves. Attached to a piece of string that would be tied around the deceased’s finger, this string could be pulled to ring the bell and signal a person nearby in the event that the departed was not quite so departed after all. Others had air pipes built into their coffin roofs to allow fresh air to get into the victim, prolonging their life. Still others created vaults that had escape hatches so that the revived person could escape.

If it was scary enough to frighten our first president, who was a fearless war general, you can bet the prospect of being buried alive is pretty terrifying. Poe was aware of the widespread fear of being buried alive (known as taphophobia) and utilized it in a few of his stories such as The Premature Burial, Berenice, and The Fall of the House of Usher. The characters buried alive in these stories suffered from catalepsy, an actual nervous condition that causes muscle rigidity, a decreased reaction to pain, and unconsciousness. All were signs that doctors associated with death.

Saftey coffin

2dqizbl.jpg

Weird Richmond | Museum News

i imagine elvis be crying in the chaple...my dad went to my aunts funeral he reakon he could hear tapping so service was stopped and they had to get police to open coffin but the aunt was stone cold dead...the family so furious with my dad that that side of family never talked to him for years

Back