Dealing with Neighbor complaints of Loud Noises

Anissa

Reaction score
My daughter is hard of hearing. She has complete hearing loss in one ear and severe hearing loss in the other. All the noises she makes are loud (typically). We had a neighbor call the police, is there anything anyone can point me to that tells what our rights are? We live in a town home which means we share walls on both sides of our house with neighbors...what are our rights?

My daughter is hard of hearing. She has complete hearing loss in one ear and severe hearing loss in the other. All the noises she makes are loud (typically). We had a neighbor call the police, is there anything anyone can point me to that tells what our rights are? We live in a town home which means we share walls on both sides of our house with neighbors...what are our rights?

none because there is "noise pollution" ordinance. Best you can do is pad that wall with soundproofing material.

How old is your daughter?

There are ways to teach her to know what will make noises.

I've seen some deaf people say that if they can't hear it, then they can't help it. That's a lame excuse when it comes to things that obviously make noise.

It's like dropping a book or slamming a door. Simply teach them that dropping a book or slamming a door is loud. They should be able to determine what's loud and what's quiet.

How old is your daughter?

There are ways to teach her to know what will make noises.

I've seen some deaf people say that if they can't hear it, then they can't help it. That's a lame excuse when it comes to things that obviously make noise.

It's like dropping a book or slamming a door. Simply teach them that dropping a book or slamming a door is loud. They should be able to determine what's loud and what's quiet.

good suggestion. :gpost:

good suggestion. :gpost:
Heh, thanks.

I wish some deaf people would take it seriously. That's something I've had to deal with when I was a resident advisor in the dorms. I'd have deaf students slamming their doors or running in the hallway. I have to remind them that they're making noise. The most common excuse they give me is... "Don't blame me. I'm deaf. I can't tell if I'm making noises." Jeez... there are hearing students who live there too! :roll:

Thanks for the great info...my daughter is 3 yrs old, and quite honestly she doesn't care how loud she is. We have tried time out, rewards, and all kinds of other ways to try and get her to be quieter, and sometimes she complies, but, not always. The problem here is that its the neighbors roommate, who called, and I have issues with their noise during the night, but, I am not the type to just up and call the police. This roommate has only been here 6 months, and has borderlined on harrassment as far as I am concerned since he got here...he was a bit tainted when he got here, because the owner next door said that he should pound on our wall if it was ever loud, which is directly opposite of what the HOA rules are. I may have no recourse, but we are talking about a 3 year old, and its during the day...and on the opposite side of the house....

Thanks for the great info...my daughter is 3 yrs old, and quite honestly she doesn't care how loud she is. We have tried time out, rewards, and all kinds of other ways to try and get her to be quieter, and sometimes she complies, but, not always. The problem here is that its the neighbors roommate, who called, and I have issues with their noise during the night, but, I am not the type to just up and call the police. This roommate has only been here 6 months, and has borderlined on harrassment as far as I am concerned since he got here...he was a bit tainted when he got here, because the owner next door said that he should pound on our wall if it was ever loud, which is directly opposite of what the HOA rules are. I may have no recourse, but we are talking about a 3 year old, and its during the day...and on the opposite side of the house....
Punishment?

Punishment?

LOL....yes, I guess when I said time out, I meant other things too...my biggest deal is with the neighbor...we had good communication until the roommate moved in...thanks for your help.

LOL....yes, I guess when I said time out, I meant other things too...my biggest deal is with the neighbor...we had good communication until the roommate moved in...thanks for your help.
Until the roommate came in?

You said it was the neighbors that called the police. Now, you're making it sound it's your roommate's fault. What happened?

it's the neighbors roommate...I had a decent relationship with the neighbor until she rented a room to this man.

what kind of noise was your daughter making? sounds like it's something really loud and repetitive to irate that man.

she closes the doors loud...she runs in the hallway...she kicks her feet on her bed (it's a plastic toddler bed...the top and bottom are that plastic that they make all the Little Tykes toys out of). The biggest part of my frustration is that kids are kids...I am constantly reminding them to be quiet, and the HOA rules are that between ten at night and nine in the morning, it has to be reasonably quiet...which I am very aware of and remind my children constantly of...I have spoken to management before and their take was that unless it was really bad and constant, that there really wasn't much they would do...in other words, they figure kids are kids and that by living here in this little neighborhood (HOA) that all tenants need to be considerate of each other. It's notok for me to have the noises he doesn't like (even though he has said he is a light sleeper and can't handle much noise) but its ok for him to park in the handicap parking even though he isn't handicap...it's all about making excuses for his stuff but not allowing others....

ah.... a very picky, easily-complainy type... yea that's the worst

its not fun...I just wish that there was a way to talk...but, he doesn't seem to have any desire...By the way, this is a great forum!!

its not fun...I just wish that there was a way to talk...but, he doesn't seem to have any desire...By the way, this is a great forum!!

welcome to AD, Anissa. for that door issue - perhaps you could try putting the soft little pad on door frame. does your daughter wear shoes in home??

welcome to AD, Anissa. for that door issue - perhaps you could try putting the soft little pad on door frame. does your daughter wear shoes in home??
good idea...no, she doesn't wear shoes typically unless its for dress-up stuff

good idea...no, she doesn't wear shoes typically unless its for dress-up stuff

I think we can safely conclude that the man is just too sensitive to his surrounding. he probably have complained to his landlord about hot water not being hot enough :giggle: you're doing your best to minimize the noise and he needs to do his best to just deal with it cuz it's life and it's like this everywhere. if he wants quietness, he can just go live in small cabin in some forest.

I think we can safely conclude that the man is just too sensitive to his surrounding. he probably have complained to his landlord about hot water not being hot enough :giggle: you're doing your best to minimize the noise and he needs to do his best to just deal with it cuz it's life and it's like this everywhere. if he wants quietness, he can just go live in small cabin in some forest.
lol...thats what the landlord said he wanted to do...thanks for your help and consideration!

it's the neighbors roommate...I had a decent relationship with the neighbor until she rented a room to this man.
Oh, that makes sense. At first, I thought it was a roommate that moved in with YOU.

Anyways, what kind of neighborhood do you live in? I used to live in an apartment complex that was split in 2 neighborhoods. One was family-oriented and another wasn't. Those that didn't have kids lived in one side and those that had kids lived in the other side. That side had a swimming pool and playgrounds. It was also 2/3 of the complex. The other part didn't have anything. So, if there were kids... they would go from that side to the family-oriented side. It gave the 1/3 part a lot of peace and quiet. Of course, I was on that side... I'm quiet. ;)

lol....well, its supposed to be for families...but, there are about 10-12 out of the 45 that are single persons or couples who don't have kids...my neighbor is the one that calls the police or management on everyone. Until now, we have either discussed things with management or eachother...but, apparently she and her male roommate want to make it an issue...the thing is we have been really quiet until the last 2 days, and my kids have been inside with strep...I thought last weekend that it was a cold, so for about 5 days they have done pretty good being quiet...but, you can't keep kids in and quiet all the time. I just don't understand why people who don't want children, move into areas filled with kids...not that they shouldn't but why put yourself where you are going to have issues? (I am not attacking you.).

Back