Votes: 8 11.6%
  • allow guns (legally) but make it HIGHLY restrictive

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • allow guns (legally) and less restrictive

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you agree that guns should be banned and/or highly restrictive? and why?
The U.S. Constitution protects the rights of U.S. citizens to be armed, so if I support anything other than that I'd be going against the Constitution.

So, I believe guns should NOT be banned because that would be unconstitutional. Gun ownership should NOT be highly restrictive because that too, would be unconstitutional.

It was even an insult and a joke that you can even get sued (for personal injury) by intruder who broke into your house and you shot him in self-defense. Florida was the first state to sign a bill called "STAND YOUR GROUND" that immunizes citizens who use deadly force in self-defense against criminal prosecution and civil liability. 31 states joined this bill (NY/NJ are not part of it).
South Carolina:

ARTICLE 6.

PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY

SECTION 16-11-410. Citation of article.

This article may be cited as the "Protection of Persons and Property Act".

SECTION 16-11-420. Intent and findings of General Assembly.

(A) It is the intent of the General Assembly to codify the common law Castle Doctrine which recognizes that a person's home is his castle and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person's place of business.

(B) The General Assembly finds that it is proper for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others.

(C) The General Assembly finds that Section 20, Article I of the South Carolina Constitution guarantees the right of the people to bear arms, and this right shall not be infringed.

(D) The General Assembly finds that persons residing in or visiting this State have a right to expect to remain unmolested and safe within their homes, businesses, and vehicles.

(E) The General Assembly finds that no person or victim of crime should be required to surrender his personal safety to a criminal, nor should a person or victim be required to needlessly retreat in the face of intrusion or attack.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 16 Chapter 11 Offenses Against Property - www.scstatehouse.net-LPITS

SORRY for long story but I thought it's a good way to start this discussion for everybody to have some understanding about this issue! BTW - the next USA President will undoubtedly be a Democrat...
Not necessarily a Democrat but definitely not a conservative.

... What will most likely to happen if the new President signs the laws are: all assault weapons will be banned (enacted by Bill Clinton), only 1 firearm can be purchased per month, increase the price of guns and bullets, less gun shows/exhibitions, law-abiding armed citizens will be unable to defend themselves, etc.
Stock up now.

...The only reason gun laws has became stricter is because of how people have been abusing the privilege to own a gun.
One correction . . . according to the Constitution, gun ownership is a right, not a privilege.

... I'm comfortable with selected, competent, well-trained citizens carrying it around.
I prefer gun owners/users to be competent and well-trained citizens but I'm a little nervous about the word "selected". Who is doing the selecting?

The cases of people who own guns abusing the privileges...
Oops! There's that word "privileges" again.

... It's the criminals who own the guns ILLEGALLY that made public think banning guns will fix it. We can't even own stun gun or pepper spray especially in NY. How are we supposed to defend ourself? call 911? by the time they come, you're already dead. in fact - cops are not obliged by laws to rescue you.
Good points.

In the states where I live, if you want to carry concealed, the sheriff must issue a concealed weapon permit if you pass a background check and show safe competency. An adequate reason is "personal protection." As for those buildings where concealed carry is (legally) not allowed, that violates my personal rights, and I do not enter. Freedom is often inconvenient.
In my state, SC, the conceal carry permits are issued by SLED (State Law Enforcement Division; similar to a state police force). We are required to have a background check, attend classes, pass a written test, and pass a performance (shooting) test, all of which we pay for out of our own pockets.

We also avoid private businesses that don't permit guns. Hubby has even quit serving an entire gated community with his business because they forbid firearms. When potential clients call him from there, he tells them that until the homeowners change the "laws" of their community, he won't enter. (He doesn't normally carry when he works but it's the principle for him.)

Almost all of my assignments are in schools, hospitals, and government buildings, so I'm stuck.

oh you mean the criminals? I think you confuse gun crimes with legal guns. You know most of gun crimes are occurred by illegal guns where criminals bought it from black markets. so you tell me how are we supposed to defend ourselves from criminals with illegal guns. my cell phone?

That's my whole point. People who purchase guins legally and have them liscensed are not the ones committing crimes with them. So greater restriction on the gun laws will not reduce crime committed with weapons. The criminals will simply get them by other means just as they do now. Stricter gun laws would do nothing more than provide the already law abiding citizen with afalse sense of security.

Banning guns isn't going to solve the problem.

Take a gun away. There's still knives. Take a knife away. There's still baseball bats. Take a baseball bat away. There's still hockey sticks.

I could go on and on... cuz there will always be weapons out there. We're pretty resourceful when it comes to achieving something.

The bigger issue is being more aware of what's going on and doing something about it.

Nowadays, people have obvious problems and no one does anything about it.

I prefer gun owners/users to be competent and well-trained citizens but I'm a little nervous about the word "selected". Who is doing the selecting?

Maybe I should carefully choose the word but I'll clarify. "Selected" as in - you must pass the tests demonstrating your competence and skill. For example - you get driver license after you pass the test. You get your college degree after you pass the tests/courses. We all like to see some kind of paper proofs that you are competent. So nobody is doing the selecting... you pass the test to obtain CCW - no biased judgment involved... simple as that. how about that? :deal:

Maybe I should carefully choose the word but I'll clarify. "Selected" as in - you must pass the tests demonstrating your competence and skill. For example - you get driver license after you pass the test. You get your college degree after you pass the tests/courses. We all like to see some kind of paper proofs that you are competent. So nobody is doing the selecting... you pass the test to obtain CCW - no biased judgment involved... simple as that. how about that? :deal:
I understand, and to a point agree with you if you mean getting a conceal carry permit. But for general gun ownership, that's a right, not a privilege, unlike a driver's license or college degree.

I guess I'm just sensitive to anything that sounds like "selected" groups of people. If you didn't mean it that way, then I'm cool with it. :)

I understand, and to a point agree with you if you mean getting a conceal carry permit. But for general gun ownership, that's a right, not a privilege, unlike a driver's license or college degree.

I guess I'm just sensitive to anything that sounds like "selected" groups of people. If you didn't mean it that way, then I'm cool with it. :)

I know. Gotta love how politic is... gotta be very very careful with the choosing of words when it can be subjective to any interpretations. But I'm glad we're on same pages! :cheers:

One correction . . . according to the Constitution, gun ownership is a right, not a privilege.

Thank you for the correction.

What I was saying is - Even though gun ownership is a right, it should be used with accord rather than "abusing" it. I'm not saying all gun owners are like that but some of them over-do it.

hey! you gota explain your stance! :evil: haha

:lol: ok ok ... I vote reason ...

Possible Black Bear or nasty animals.... also umm something serious happen enter my property :Ohno:

However, I was considering about buy Paintball gun!!:twisted:

Thank you for the correction.

What I was saying is - Even though gun ownership is a right, it should be used with accord rather than "abusing" it. I'm not saying all gun owners are like that but some of them over-do it.

nonsense... typical of people getting scared over something that is statistically insignificant. It BAFFLES me why people who are anti-gun or overly concerned with guns choose to focus on misuse/abuse by legal gun owners rather than criminals with ILLEGAL guns. Tune into 11PM news and you usually hear about crimes involving ILLEGAL guns EVERY SINGLE DAY - usually gang-related, robbery, etc. But you don't quite often hear in news like mall shooting or school shooting everyday, don't you?

I just don't get it....

if gun ban during Thirteen colony, United State of America would NEVER EXIST. Hope you two, who vote "BAN GUN", have learn the part of history which reason it become the 2nd Amendment.

:pissed: Now that's how you do the justice!

< click here for site > Fort Worth Donut Shop Robber Shot & Killed

Randal (lucky victim), who says this morning's robbery was the second in two weeks, is grateful her neighbor was there. "If my neighbor no come, what is gone happen? I might die." According to Fort Worth police Lane (deceased robber) was armed with a BB gun rifle during the robbery. State records indicate Lane had an extensive criminal history, including aggravated assault and aggravated robbery.

NJ needs to lighten up its gun restrictions especially for CCW!!! :pissed::pissed::pissed: I live in North-eastern side of NJ which is pretty safe but there are HANDFUL of towns within 20 min of me such as Newark, Jersey City, etc. that are NOT safe at all. LOT of muggings! I commute/work there. Even cops do not respond immediately until an hour later or so. If you recall from last year, 4 students were killed in execution-style in Newark. unbelievable. The only weapon I have to protect myself is MACE which is somewhat useless.

Thanks for your input! Your last sentence - "The only reason gun laws has became stricter is because of how people have been abusing the privilege to own a gun" is the most common reason for stricter gun law. In my opinion, I believe it's just those overly-sensitive liberals who think there are too many bad people and are just easily afraid of everything - ban violent movies/tv, ban all drugs, ban guns, ban ban ban. I believe that if criminals TEND not to commit gun-related crimes in armed neighborhood. It's already proven that city/town with most restrictive gun laws have much more crimes than less restricted. Maybe I should clarify what I meant about "highly restrictive" means.

They allow you to own a gun due to Amendment 2 but they make it so restrictive by making you liable to any shooting occurred by you even in case of self-defense, CCW is usually not allowable, and making it extremely expensive - high fees, high cost of bullets, etc.

What I want is - allow guns and less restriction but stricter requirements - extensive training and clean mental history. I do not want people behind me in the line at CVS to have one. I'm comfortable with selected, competent, well-trained citizens carrying it around.

The cases of people who own guns abusing the privileges are quite rare and we all know media likes to over-exaggerate anything like shark attacks which are also VERY rare. It's the criminals who own the guns ILLEGALLY that made public think banning guns will fix it. We can't even own stun gun or pepper spray especially in NY. How are we supposed to defend ourself? call 911? by the time they come, you're already dead. in fact - cops are not obliged by laws to rescue you.
Once again....the tail wagging the dog.....you claim that it is proven that cities with more restrictions are higher in crime. Statistics may show this but perhaps the restrictions were put into pace because of the high crime.
Grandstanding and exageration to claim something as fact. You have to look at the whole picture...not just what you want to see.

one thing I don't agree with is banned guns from people with a history of being mental ill but no criminal record or broken the laws due to their mental illness. (like stalking, hitting, harrassing, neglecting especially toward their children etc)

It's like banning driving from elderly before they even crash or broke the laws. That they are not allow to drive because of their age.

I am always afraid people will not get help out of fear they will lose their gun rights... or any rights. People like being treated equally. I always feel that if someone have a mental illness, check if they done any irrational behaviors due to their mental illness that is usually against the laws before taking gun rights away from them. Make it very hard to destroy their rights to own guns.

most killing you hear is usually done by someone they know... and if guns not available, they will find something else like strangling, drowning, knives, etc.

Once again....the tail wagging the dog.....you claim that it is proven that cities with more restrictions are higher in crime. Statistics may show this but perhaps the restrictions were put into pace because of the high crime.
Grandstanding and exageration to claim something as fact. You have to look at the whole picture...not just what you want to see.

If there is high crimes, then I have the rights to protect myself as polices are not there to protect me.

If there is high crimes, then I have the rights to protect myself as polices are not there to protect me.

You do have the right to protect yourself and your property. But you don't have the right to take the law into your own hands, nor do you have the right to shoot another unless your life is in danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back