High Definition captioning

Wow!! I'm shocked...nothing from Direct TV, still no captions on the HD channels. You would think that a large company like Direct TV would have their technology up to date. Are they ignoring the needs of the deaf population? Maybe we should stick to old school regular tv's. The deaf don't need HD. We should all be happy that our options are limited to cable or rabbit ears. We've got it too good already. Football scores should be read in the newspapers anyways. The deaf aren't interested in commentary, our only concern is a deaf prez at Gally.
Thank you Direct TV for showing us that deaf people too uppity to want to upgrade our lives.

SOME ACTION AT LAST!!!! Another marathon with Direct TV (1hr 45min) has resulted in some discounts...They're giving me credit on the HD package dating back from the initial installation, NO charge for the HD package until the problem is fixed, and 2 months of Showtime for free.
The Showtime is no big deal, but to get Direct TV to get the ball rolling on this problem is flippin sweet!!
If you have this problem (and it seems no deaf people have HD or Direct TV since there have been no replies) call up and complain. If enough credit is given out, maybe they'll really do something!!

Some not work closed caption

If you got HDTV and only OTA (over the air) or CableTV's basic will work Closed Caption

BUT

you got Set-up box or DVR, HDTV will not work Closed Caption but set-up box or DVR from CableTV Company have in-built closed caption, you need setup under set-up box or DVR options not HDTV's options, they will work

P.S. Maybe CardCable slot to HDTV will work CC

SOME ACTION AT LAST!!!! Another marathon with Direct TV (1hr 45min) has resulted in some discounts...They're giving me credit on the HD package dating back from the initial installation, NO charge for the HD package until the problem is fixed, and 2 months of Showtime for free.
The Showtime is no big deal, but to get Direct TV to get the ball rolling on this problem is flippin sweet!!
If you have this problem (and it seems no deaf people have HD or Direct TV since there have been no replies) call up and complain. If enough credit is given out, maybe they'll really do something!!

DTV should gives all customer credit if they have any plm with DTV, like one time I ordered WWE Vengeance PPV and bad storm hit, DTV lost signal for almost 2 and 1/2 hrs, so they credit my billing...

The HD box from Direct TV has CC's ability. When it is hooked up to the TV it over-rides the TV's CC ability. You have to use the CC from the HD receiver. There is some kind of glitch in the HD receiver that doesn't pick the local HD channels. Direct TV says they're gonna try to fix it, but right now I don't care. If they're not charging me for it, and no one else is making a fuss about it then I can wait.

ArGGh. That sums up CCs on my HD tv when it goes on the HD channels. It's like they pull a vanishing act.
Of course, my 'rents say that CCs are my crutch, but not everyone on tele is easy to follow.
CCs will become mandatory in 2007 for ALL Tv shows. The new year can't get here fast enough.

It seems with DirectTV the problem is in the equipment. I'm not sure what your using, but from my conversation with the affiliates all HD programming is captioned.

Closed Captions for direct tv

Hi Tokin Texan.

I too called Direct TV, because I just upgraded to HD and had no captions. At first they said its my TV, then I pushed them and said its in their boxes, I just didnt know how to turn it on. After arguing with me for a while, I was put on hold the then they walked me thru how to get it set up. Now its working.

Both the DVR and the HD receiver w/o DVR both work now. I had to hit MENU, SET UP, SETTINGS, DISPLAY, CAPTIONS, THEN TURN THEM ON. It even worked thru the HDMI cable on my one TV with that.

Good Luck!

ArGGh. That sums up CCs on my HD tv when it goes on the HD channels. It's like they pull a vanishing act.
Of course, my 'rents say that CCs are my crutch, but not everyone on tele is easy to follow.
CCs will become mandatory in 2007 for ALL Tv shows. The new year can't get here fast enough.

:applause: Finally!

I get CC with the HD channels like ESPN. It's the local HD channels that are not getting the CC signal.
I know all about the settings. I've been over them again and again.
Try the local HD channels with your DTV receiver. Lemme know if they work. It may just be a faulty receiver on my end.

CC and HD

I have experienced the same problem as others - most HD channels coming in through my satellite dish (DirecTV) have no captions even though the program guide shows (CC). The ones that do work very reliably (HBOHD & ESPNHD for me) work beautifully. The other HD channels in the standard HD package (UHD, etc) are completely bereft of any captioning. I have called and complained and the monkey they use to answer customer support calls knows nothing about it. I am having similar problems with OTA (off the air) HD channels - basically they do have captioning but they are HORRIBLE. Some channels are decent, but some are flat out junk (FOX for example). The picture is coming in perfectly but captioning is all over the place and is mainly garbage. I am not sure if it is the fault of the stations (I live in Phoenix) or the box (HR10-250). My box is currently failing (HDMI port died) so DirecTV is sending me a replacement. They are sending me the HR20-250 as the replacement so I will check out how captions perform with it... but I have not heard good news about it. I will report back with an update as soon as I get the new box set up.

What about DVD Players and HDMI?

It even worked thru the HDMI cable on my one TV with that.

I have been having a bunch of problems trying to get captions to show up from dvd players using HDMI connections.

I have a new Sharp Aquos TV (720p), and have tried two different uploading HDMI dvd players (Sony and Toshiba) but returned both because of no captioning. I also had a 1080p Sceptre tv for a couple of months and I had the same problem using HDMI connections.

If I used my old compoent plugs for a 480i picture, the captions would show up fine.

There was a discussion about this at AVS forums and it was concluded that HDMI does not transmit captioning information to the TVs. I've been running my old DVD player via compoent ever since and now I see your comment about successfully getting captioning to show up through HDMI!

Has anybody here been able to use a HDMI dvd player and get captioning to successfully show up? If so, which brands/models?

Many thanks.

-Aquaman

P.S. The AVS Forum link discussing close captioning via HDMI is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8020220

You will have to wait till DVD players come with built-in digital CC for DVI/HDMI because DVI/HDMI are digital. Until then, you will have to use sub-titles from DVD disks.

In order to use TV with built-in analog CC decoder with DVD players, you will have to set your DVD player to NON-progressive scan mode with component cables. CC using progressive scan mode and component cables will NOT work.

That's how digital CC works for digital video (DVI/HDMI). If you have a TV with built-in digital HDTV tuner, the digital CC decoder inside TV will only work with that tuner and will not decode CC from any other outside source like DVD players.

I prefer sub-titles from DVD disks than CC. That's just me.

Peter

CC using progressive scan mode and component cables will NOT work.

That's odd - I currently run my progressive scan DVD player with component cables and the captions show up fine with DVDs. Perhaps you meant upconverting instead of progressive scan?

Peter

I much prefer CC over subtitles because typical subtitles won't tell you what some of the more common noises are and background noises (phone ringing, horn honking, gunshots, crying, thumping, repeated sayings, etc) which can make or break a movie plot.

-Aquaman

When I have progressive scan enabled via DVD player Setup Menu with component cables, CC does NOT work. So I had to disable progressive. The menu does not say anything about upconverting but it's probably automatically upconverting with progressive scan enabled.

CC Problems with HDTV

I have emailed DishNetwork on the captioning problem:

"I know that other people have contacted Dish on this issue, and I have called Dish Tech Support to complain at least 4 or 5 times. This is the problem:

I have Dish Network with a Dish 942 HD Receiver. My deaf girlfriend needs CC to view programs but, unfortunately I'm having problems with this.

The CC when using Dish programs cuts out part of the captioning when I'm using my Zenith HDTV to view them, usually a paragraph here and there, sometimes just a few words. I know that Dish is picking it up since when I rewind the show, (this is a HD DVR receiver), this portions missing usually show up but other portions don't.

Also they show up normally on my SD TV upstairs that runs off the Dish receiver, using the TV's CC feature. If I hook up my OTA antenna directly to my HDTV, the CC is fine, so I know it isn't the fault of the broadcast station.

I understand that it isn't just Dish HD that has this problem, and that it is related to the transmission of CC via HD only. What I want to express is that as more and more people buy HDTV, there will be that many more complaints from the deaf community and from hard of hearing people. It would probably be cheaper to fix the problem then to deal with the lawsuits"

Here is the FCC rule about Closed Caption:
Closed Captioning

The only way to force a quicker solution is to file a complaint:
Filing a Complaint - General

That's odd - I currently run my progressive scan DVD player with component cables and the captions show up fine with DVDs. Perhaps you meant upconverting instead of progressive scan?

Just in case you didn't know, many progressive scan DVD players fail to display CC. However, this is only when the progressive scan is enabled. Most progressive scan DVD players are set up with progressive scan disabled. Most of the times, you have to enable the progressive scan mode when you get a DVD player.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if this is still an issue with a lot of DVD players.

Peter

I have a lot of TV shows on DVD (CSI, etc). Rarely do those ever have subtitles, only CC. I however prefer CC because I just don't like the big yellow letters with no background :P

Just in case you didn't know, many progressive scan DVD players fail to display CC. However, this is only when the progressive scan is enabled. Most progressive scan DVD players are set up with progressive scan disabled. Most of the times, you have to enable the progressive scan mode when you get a DVD player.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if this is still an issue with a lot of DVD players.

I disabled progressive scan on my DVD player but I still didn't get my captions back :cry:

Back