Facebook Parenting: Troubled teen. (did the father overreact?)

The Dad should have gotten rid of this updated lap top and replaced it with a 6 years old lap top, then tell daughter, see how you like a slow dial up.

1. where can you find a 6-years old laptop?
2. where can you find a dial-up service?

I've read the story following up on this and I found the father to be completely justified.

He explained his daughter had no respect for anything given to her. She failed to do her chores - which her father explained, she wouldn't have any when she gets a job - and fails to see the value in things.

She's had numerous phones replaced because she doesn't care. The laptop was bought for her, she doesn't care.

Her dad isn't interested in talking to the press - he doesn't want his words twisted - so he will post answers on Facebook so he knows it's what HE has said.

Her dad isn't saying what he did was right, he just said it was appropriate action at the time.

All in all I think the Dad has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

My parents brought me up that if I want something, I need to work for it.
My brother and I got a small TV each for Christmas but we had to buy our own VCR (then later DVD) players. If we wanted gameboys, segas, playstations etc we had to do our chores to get them.

Seems this father is doing his best to raise a girl not to be spoilt.

Good on him I say :D

Look, this is easy. This is not just 'a little extreme'. This is highly uncalled for. A use of a firearm is unacceptable in any form relating to the family in any given point or example. Period. It disturbs me greatly that this man is getting a lot of kudos for doing this. They need counseling now. The laptop is linked to the girl and he shot it. Try to keep it simple to see the right and wrong of things instead of making it all complex and opinionated like a lot do on his blog. He is a gun nut and I have seen how gun nuts are. They have the tendency to carry some elevated amount of stress.

Back