Crazy Finish At Michigan High School Football Game

DeafCaver

Reaction score
October 13, 2009
Crazy Finish At Michigan High School Football Game
Dallas Jackson
Rivals High Senior Analyst
(Full Story) Rivals High - Crazy finish at Michigan high school football game
Quick lesson in high school football. The game isn't over until the official blows the whistle on the final play.
Canton (Michigan) Plymouth High learned that the hard way earlier this month.
The school thought it had defeated Westland (Michigan) John Glenn when it blocked a last-second field goal attempt. But when its players ran off the field in celebration, none of the players realized that the ball hadn't crossed the line of scrimmage and was still in play.
No official had blown the ball dead.
So while Plymouth celebrated, John Glenn's Tony Wilton alertly picked up the ball and ran 33-yards for the winning score.
It's a play, Wilton will never forget. Here's how it went down.
John Glenn trailed Plymouth, 28-27, with eight seconds left when it lined up for a potential game-winning field goal.
Wilton, a senior, is also the holder for field goals.
As the play unfolded, two onrushing Plymouth defenders dove and blocked the Ryan Lopez kick, which would never cross the line of scrimmage.
The Plymouth team erupted in jubilation of the last-second heroics.
Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the play was not over.
Wilton alertly scooped up the ball and took off running and 33-yards later he had scored his first career touchdown and won the game, 33-28.
Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWIz...layer_embedded

Talk about your all time bone-head plays... figuring 8 seconds and the kick is blocked hey too bad for them... :erk: it's still LIVE?? ohh noes!

Gonna be hard to explain when the visiting team gets home.

I normally don't like Football (or Basketball... or Baseball... or any BALL games... prefer MA and Caving)... but I know enough about it to know a boneheaded play when I see one. Sheesh.

I wonder if situational awareness would've helped the other team? It certainly helped the winning team.

Thanks for the story. Hubby got a big kick out of the story and video. (He's from Michigan.) :lol:

Back