Stupid question...difference between deaf and Deaf?

yeah, I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately I don't know any other languages. I took spanish in high school but don't remember most of it!

Do you remember basically how the Spanish language usually ordered their words for proper syntax? Just use that for a guideline. :)

lol ok so i am an hoh/deaf person! lol..cuz i try to be around deaf culture as much as i can! but i am not deaf when it comes to what i can hear..or not hear to be exact lol...

I am slowly learning, i'm teaching myself so it's hard to always go and look at the book i got cuz i have lots of assignments and exams rite now...but i like it so far!! the only one i'm having trouble finding is "you're welcome" :(...maybe im just not looking for it properly lol...

I speak italian, spanish, and french haha lol but i don't get what u mean by syntax?...

I will try my best to explain. Others are welcome to correct me.

D-eaf is a person who identifies themself as culturally deaf, who uses sign language.....and does not see deafness as a disability whatsoever.

d-eaf is a person who has very little or no connection to the deaf culture and regards deafness as a disability.

interesting... I just thought of something funny. An obese person says - "I am Fat" and a skinny blondie says - "I'm fat." maybe some of you don't find this humorous but it does to me. :fruit:

interesting... I just thought of something funny. An obese person says - "I am Fat" and a skinny blondie says - "I'm fat." maybe some of you don't find this humorous but it does to me. :fruit:

Maybe I should start a trend...Fat means you are culturally obese and fat means you are overweight but don't necessarily identify with the culture of "Fatness"...haha:)

(i am Fat by the way:))

I speak italian, spanish, and french haha lol but i don't get what u mean by syntax?...

Syntax is the order of words in a phrase or sentence that makes the best grammatical sense for that language.

Just my humble English teacher's opinion, but we spend way too much time worrying over meanings of deaf and Deaf when for U.S. publications, the capital only makes sense at the beginning of a sentence or for a proper noun. Capitalizing a word not a proper noun conveys no meaning of extra respect at all. There's no Hearing and Sighted and Gifted-with-Scent . . . so there's no Blind or Deaf or Can't-Smell-a-Thing.

No wonder there are so many answers and explanations . . . it's really just everyone's quixotic opinion, not much more.

Syntax is the order of words in a phrase or sentence that makes the best grammatical sense for that language.

Just my humble English teacher's opinion, but we spend way too much time worrying over meanings of deaf and Deaf when for U.S. publications, the capital only makes sense at the beginning of a sentence or for a proper noun. Capitalizing a word not a proper noun conveys no meaning of extra respect at all. There's no Hearing and Sighted and Gifted-with-Scent . . . so there's no Blind or Deaf or Can't-Smell-a-Thing.

No wonder there are so many answers and explanations . . . it's really just everyone's quixotic opinion, not much more.

Right..I dont dwell on the whole Deaf and deaf issue. Some peope do and I dunno why.

Personally, "deaf" is a term that is used when describing a diagnosis or disability.

"Deaf" is a term that is used when one identifies themself with the Deaf or refers to the Deaf.

Also, an addendum to my previous post...

I was considered "hearing impaired"/"hard-of-hearing" as I was growing up considering the fact that I was very oral and was not allowed to use sign language as my primary language. But now, although I am an English major and am fluently oral, I am also proficient in sign language and am still learning more about ASL and Deaf Culture.

Now, it is a different story... I am "Deaf"! Who cares? I can hear with my hearing aid, I am oral, I do read lips... but all in all without the hearing aid I cannot hear. So after having thought about it for a long time, I prefer just labelling myself "Deaf", it takes away the stereotype those of us who are labeled or were labeled "hard-of-hearing" can hear so therefore we don't need accommodations, which is a total lie.

There are also some that will interchange the two to fit their needs at a given time. I have been reamed for refering to deafness as a disability to turn around and see that same person that reamed me refer to it as a disability in a seperate conversation. If the deafer than thou "D" deaf's are truly cultural and don't view it as a disability, then they should not claim any disability benefits associated with deafness but I can almost assure you that they do.

Ha ha ha, I have several elderly friends just like that. If someone hints they're "senior citizens," they get all pushed out of shape, but when they want a discount or don't want to stand in line, they're suddenly quite old and feeble.

It's all a game with each other, too. If one says he or she is feeling old, someone looks cross and says, "Age is just a number" or "You're only as old as you feel." If someone brags about an ability, the same age-nayers say, "Wait till you're my age; you'll see how hard life is" or "Oh, I could do that twice as well at your age!" It's always their personal point of view, and they go both ways in the same breath.

Me, too. Okay, first I was a Kid. Then a Teen. When I was an Adult, I went into the Military. Then I was a College Student. I became a Teacher. Now I'm Old and Deaf, but don't you dare say so!

None of the internal capitalizations are legitimate, but get a Lawyer and sue me, ha ha ha.

very good point chase...i often am at awe with people that wants to be labelled?? Deaf or deaf....Hard of Hearing or hard of hearing.....maybe the word labelled is wrong to use....growing up in a deaf family, am hard of hearing myself, i never saw that my parents was different from any others....cuz they worked, drove cars, bought homes, kept a roof over my head....bought us clothes....why are they different?? to me they are just like any other families....dysfunctional or not....i was never ashamed of my parents....never thought that way...

The deaf call me hard of hearing, The hearing call me deaf. I don't know asl that well.I am a lip reader and oral and I need to wear hearing aids. So I don't know what I fall under.:dunno:
Pepsi, You would fall under "d" deaf. You are not culturally deaf. But you are deaf, correct?

Back