Deaf Awareness

Glad you came back in to see my reply. I look forward to seeing your input in threads.

OP: This person does not represent every single person in the Deaf community. This is a person who does not identify as culturally deaf - please take this into account.

Good to know. Who is the person who does represent every person in the Deaf community?

Good to know. Who is the person who does represent every person in the Deaf community?

There is no singular person who represents all. However, there are those that have a much greater degree of expertise on the topic of Deaf Culture than others. Generally speaking, one who does not participate in Deaf Culture, and questions its very existence and value cannot be considered to speak, with authority, on matters regarding cultural deafness. They simply do not have the experience or the knowledge to do so.

Another lesson in Sociology- as such culture is part thereof. KyleB-you can check a Canadian text Sociology Hagedoorn , Holt Rinehart Winston Canada Toronto. 626 pages.
Part 2 The Individual in Society, chapter 3 to 5. It was a text book- that I used some time ago. Surprise- No reference to "DeafCulture". I wonder why? Nor "hearing culture" either.
Perhaps just an American concern for some of deaf/Deaf persons?

Implanted-Sunnybrook/Toronto A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Another lesson in Sociology- as such culture is part thereof. KyleB-you can check a Canadian text Sociology Hagedoorn , Holt Rinehart Winston Canada Toronto. 626 pages.
Part 2 The Individual in Society, chapter 3 to 5. It was a text book- that I used some time ago. Surprise- No reference to "DeafCulture". I wonder why? Nor "hearing culture" either.

Deaf culture is an universal phenomenon. You obviously do not have the experience in/expertise of Deaf culture!

Hey guys, I'm really sorry about the cofusion of some of the questions that I did but thanks to asnwering my questionnaire. It was interesting about what people thought about what other people's feedback.

Perhaps we at AllDeaf should send out a memo to all ASL classes in the States to educate that when students visit the AllDeaf site, or other Deaf Communities, they should interact with the community and are not permitted to do surveys. Let them keep their survey questions at home to fill in for themselves. Just a suggestion. :p

Yeah they should.. It is just as interesting to see what other people think of it.

That is up to the person...

I think they clearly typed Deaf with the capital D for a reason. No it is not just up to anyone in the world to decide for us who is the best representation of the Deaf community. That is to be left up to people who have experienced Deaf culture/community and who know ASL.

That is up to the person...

I think they clearly typed Deaf with the capital D for a reason. No it is not just up to anyone in the world to decide for us who is the best representation of the Deaf community. That is to be left up to people who have experienced Deaf culture/community and who know ASL.

Since rchz is the OP, he should get to make that decision on his survey.

btw i'm a she... thanks :)

Well, she:giggle:...
Could you clarify? Were you looking for information from those who are Deaf or just anyone with a hearing loss? Very different perspectives there.

Ironical comment- bilaterally deaf/Deaf not necessarily "part of the deaf/Deaf community"., Perhaps one need "them" to certify "they are deaf/Deaf". One who experiences silence instead of hearing is deemed not "official".

Is this "Alice in Deaf/deaf land"? Right -hearing persons using ASL are members but Bilaterally deaf who DON"T use ASL: aren't?
Run that again-gee the "Deaf/deaf community is NOT exclusive?
Interesting discovery since I have been here-Alldeaf.com since July 10. My misreading of some comments?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Who is "them" ?

And who needs to certify who? Nobody. Either you want to be part of the Deaf community, or you don't.

It is not exclusive to who speaks, who signs, who hears, who doesn't hear, etc. I suspect your lack of mingling among the deaf/Deaf is what makes you not understand this.

Last edited:
Personally not unduly concerned whether I am an "official member of the deaf community". or not. Doesn't change the fact that I am bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006. Seems to be a fixation only here-Alldeaf.com. Not exactly a pressing concern at the present time. Are computers the real world? My ongoing membership of "VampireFreaks.Com" suggest otherwise!

Presumably the intersection of "cultural" vs real deafness- is whether one uses ASL or not. Relevant? Discussing whether one should have gotten an Implant in the first place.Perhaps learning the finer points of deaf/Deaf swimming. Right an activity I actually do.

Personally not unduly concerned whether I am an "official member of the deaf community". or not. Doesn't change the fact that I am bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006. Seems to be a fixation only here-Alldeaf.com. Not exactly a pressing concern at the present time. Are computers the real world? My ongoing membership of "VampireFreaks.Com" suggest otherwise!

Presumably the intersection of "cultural" vs real deafness- is whether one uses ASL or not. Relevant? Discussing whether one should have gotten an Implant in the first place.Perhaps learning the finer points of deaf/Deaf swimming. Right an activity I actually do.

Poor wittle drphil. Him can't hear. Him is deaf. Poor, poor drphil.

Back