Netflix streaming movies for PC- no CC?

YOMAN

Reaction score
Just curious..

have you tried downloading streaming movies for your PC or Xbox PS3 to watch movie with CC? from NETFLIX ?

I have noticed no CC at all.

YOMAN!

No closed caption since it begin launch.

There is an interview with one of high staff from Netflix saying they are interest to place CC in future, but it's like test to see how people like before they leap to big step. (sigh)

Great to hear that they are thinking of adding it, I don't use instant play as much as I'd like because it's hard to hear. I hope they will make it possible on computers too, not just when you stream to your TV.

Netflix has ignored to Deaf community since two years for requesting closed captioning on instant watch movies. :mad:

BUMP

Any news on this? Have they started captioning or subtitling through the xbox or pc streams? I would like to get rid of cable and just go Netflix...but I'm not going to do it if the captions are lacking.

I never try Netflix, before.

What kind of cable from PC or PS3 or Xbox connect to TV? S-Video cable? HDMI cable? VGA cable?

Have you tried to call Netflix's customer service?

I just checked Netflix's website at streaming. I seem that TIVO box should be work fine with CC. Sorry, I am not familiar with PS3 and XBox

I used to use Netflix, but more of renting the DVDs instead of streaming. I do hope that they add captioning now because that would greatly benefit a lot of people.

Netflix responded to the caption issue in its blog. While I appreciate the company’s action to deliver captions in 2010, I take issue with a few things:

Silverlight: “Reed Hastings (Netflix CEO) is on Microsoft’s Board of Directors.” No wonder why Netflix is only looking at Silverlight instead of what’s best and fastest. Heck, I captioned my own YouTube video. Also see Accessible Media Project - Home. Besides, Microsoft hasn’t implemented all of the SAMI specs.

A year? Really? Even the major TV networks caption full-episodes. Hey, Hulu even does some!

Bionic Ear Blog: Netflix and Captions

The Official Netflix Blog: Closed Captions and Subtitles

I've made it clear that I dropped netflix for all the reasons that we discussed. Then, I got bored, what to do?

I found DeaFlix, a small collection of xSL videos, trailers, and such. It has the usual guys like Keith Wann, Peter Cook, but it also has other deaf poets from Gally, YouTube and some independent works. It's pretty cool, has any one else checked it out yet?

They call it xSL because it also features international sign language such as Japanese sign language. (like i don't have enough trouble with ASL) :giggle:

If you haven't yet checked it out, I hope you enjoy it.

What else it out there? Don't mention other activities, I understand about getting up off the couch, yuck! Then I might have to find where I last left the broom.....

No closed caption since it begin launch.

There is an interview with one of high staff from Netflix saying they are interest to place CC in future, but it's like test to see how people like before they leap to big step. (sigh)

That's a load of bull IMO. Test to see if people like it? Really? CC is something you have to turn on, and make an effort to use, not something where if they put it on, it would permanently be on and somebody who didn't want it couldn't turn it off
(my apologies if anyone has trouble understanding it)

CC has to come through the signals.. Many times it is the jumbled signals that don't have the CC part with it . Technology is so fragmented in the USofA CC don't always come through. A while back CC wouldn't come through the HMDI cable that is used on HDTV. So the technology need to allow the CC signal to come through and be unscrambled to the TV or PC or whatever you use.

Their excuses are just that. Excuses. They are basically saying that it takes a long time to convert the "Open captioning" into subtitles. This is just simply not the truth. There are programs that do the job for you in a matter of seconds. They just gotta get off their butts and do it.

Until then I'll tell you that you can watch and TV episode or movie that you can watch on your computer with Subtitles. This includes any video format and DVD's. If you can watch it on your computer then you can watch it with subtitles.

The process is:
-Get the video.
-Find the matching subtitles.
-Open both in a video player that supports Subtitles.

Go here for methods of finding the subtitles and watch movies with them.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ch-almost-any-online-movie-tv-episode-cc.html

Go to this below post to find a method to watch any video online with subtitles. Even streaming videos that you can't download.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...on-watching-captioned-internet-video-yet.html

So like I said. With the above two methods you can watch any video that you can find matching subtitles for on your computer including netflix.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Ron

Since Netflix is on USA soil and they should do what ADA expect them to do as sub title, i wonder...

Well, it took about 20 years for the laws to be passed for all TV's to be able to display closed captioning (With a 13" screen or larger).

Right now they are working to have it passed where this law also covers internet video. Which means websites of major networks that broadcast TV episodes and movies such as NBC, ABC, FOX, etc... will have to, by law, provice captioning on their internet videos.

Let's just hope it doesn't take another 20 years to be passed.

Ron

I don't like their streaming selection. I will continue to use MKV's until they come up with a good HD selection streams.

I tried netflix streaming movies on my PC.

Yeah, no CC except foreign streaming movie with english subtitled.

I'd rather watch movie from DVD player.

Netflix streaming - no CC

I'm paying $8.95 monthly for Netflix but I'm planning to call them and see if I can get that monthly rate lowered. Why should I pay the same rate as hearing people but only have partial access where hearing have full access.

I'm paying $8.95 monthly for Netflix but I'm planning to call them and see if I can get that monthly rate lowered. Why should I pay the same rate as hearing people but only have partial access where hearing have full access.

Why do you even want to accept "partial"?

Back