I need your help, please!!!

thistle2561

Reaction score

Hi all:
I am an American Sign Language teacher/interpreter for the Deaf in Fort Worth Texas. I teach at a high school in Fort Worth. I am looking for some hearing impaired teens/young adults/adults that would like to become either "pen pals" or email pals with some of my hearing students. I would like for them to get the accurate perspective of deafness, and I can't give them that because I am hearing. If you are interested, please email me at dgreen@ftworth.isd.tenet.edu, and we can get the ball rolling!
I appreciate your time and I love this site!!!
Thanks a lot, and have a great day!
Denise Stokes
Fort Worth, TX

thistle2561 said:

Hi all:
I am an American Sign Language teacher/interpreter for the Deaf in Fort Worth Texas. I teach at a high school in Fort Worth. I am looking for some hearing impaired teens/young adults/adults that would like to become either "pen pals" or email pals with some of my hearing students. I would like for them to get the accurate perspective of deafness, and I can't give them that because I am hearing. If you are interested, please email me at dgreen@ftworth.isd.tenet.edu, and we can get the ball rolling!
I appreciate your time and I love this site!!!
Thanks a lot, and have a great day!
Denise Stokes
Fort Worth, TX

One thing--- I know you are hearing-- SO, I am deaf. I noticed you typed "hearing impaired" Thats an insult word for deaf people. It looks like to us that our ears are broke but not. Please adjust to DEAF not hearing impaired. It makes us uncomfortable to see that word---

Thank you and just let you know. It goes same feeling if we insult japan, chinese people with weird eyes shapes, or anything else with other kind of different people.

Hope you understand what I am saying---

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf thistle2561! I'd be glad to volunteer as a penpal...and it's nice to know that your students are participating in something like this and that's great!! :D

I actually have no problem with that word. In reality, saying "deaf" can lead to lawsuits because it isn't politically correct... while saying "hearing impaired" can't lead to lawsuit because it is politically correct.

I have a few friends who were denied SSI because they said "deaf" instead of "hearing impaired" on their application.

Anyway, you can ask me anything about my deafness. ;)

Back