Doorbell for the deaf suggestion?

wilykat

Reaction score
I am deaf and I would like to have a flashing light when someone uses the doorbell. It will need to be able to connect to existing doorbell as I have other people in my house who are hearing. The flashing light would be useful for when I am alone in the house and someone needs attention outside.

I've looked around via Google and saw something that connects to the existing wires by the chime. It required wiring to add in receivers, and I couldn't find wireless version for flashing light receiver. The house is rather old and made use of mostly solid wood walls rather than drywall plasters so running wires would be messy and quite unlikely to get wood walls back up intact. :aw:

My house mate is nagging me to do something because earlier he went to get newspaper and got locked out of the house. I was all myself, still sleeping, and no one else came to rescue him. he only had PJ bottom and slipper, no shirt and spent 4 hours in a 40 degree weather before I got up, put on my hearing aids, heard the door, and noticed him begging to be let in. :naughty:

Your best bet is purchase a notification/alerting system. I have a notification system included a wireless doorbell and remote receiver (purchased separated). I also have optional knock alerter to work with my system. Both can alert me though a lamp on receiver or bed shaker from clock. It's called Alertmaster AM-6000 but there is new model called AL10 under Clarity name. I have my system for over six years and still work great.

Harris Communications has them. The link is Harris Communications - Products for Hearing Loss Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

The direct link to alert systems: Alerting/Notification System Manufacturer Brands | Shop by Signaling System Brand Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

I looked over the suggested devices, it seems there are 2 basic versions. One simply "listen" for doorbell but that could cause false alarm due to noise from other sources (ie TV). The other version adds a doorbell button, and I'd prefer not to do this as it'd be confusing to a visitor with 2 different buttons.

Isn't there one that can simply tap into existing doorbell wiring?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Sonic Alert has an Alerting system that runs through existing wiring - I've had and used it for almost 20years in apts and homes I've lived in.

It's also easily expandable which is great.

I recommend plugging the units in through a surge protector to eliminate electrical noise causing false alerts which can happen in older homes and apts.

I have three Simplicity doorbell/telephone signalers (model LTW) by Ultratec. It includes a small self-stick transmitter (about 2 1/4" W x 1 1/2" D x 1" H) that is wired to the doorbell chime on the wall in the hallway so no need to add, replace or wire a doorbell button at the front door. In my bedroom, both bed vibrator and strobe light are plugged in the signaler. In other rooms, a strobe light is plugged in. In each room a telephone wire is plugged in as well. So far it works great, even though they were expensive. You can buy one or two doorbell signalers only by the same company. It may be a right one for you as long as you don't want to add, replace or wire your existing doorbell button.

Sonic Alert DB100 may also be right for you. Watch the video at 14 seconds. DB100 - YouTube

I have three Simplicity doorbell/telephone signalers (model LTW) by Ultratec. It includes a small self-stick transmitter (about 2 1/4" W x 1 1/2" D x 1" H) that is wired to the doorbell chime on the wall in the hallway so no need to add, replace or wire a doorbell button at the front door. In my bedroom, both bed vibrator and strobe light are plugged in the signaler. In other rooms, a strobe light is plugged in. In each room a telephone wire is plugged in as well. So far it works great, even though they were expensive. You can buy one or two doorbell signalers only by the same company. It may be a right one for you as long as you don't want to add, replace or wire your existing doorbell button.

Sonic Alert DB100 may also be right for you. Watch the video at 14 seconds. DB100 - YouTube

Thank you. This should be posted sticky.

Is it possible for a smartphone to be connected to the bed vibrator or strobe lights?

I bought Ultratec's Simplicity transmitter/receivers in 2013. Ultratec stopped making Simplicity products, and they told me they stopped making them in 2017. Any reason why? With Ultratec stopped making them we would have less Deaf products to help us with telephone/doorbell ringing flashing. Shame on Ultratec. I tried Sonic Alert doorbell signaler and it rings just 5 times compared to Ultratec Simplicity 10 times, and I like Ultratec better. Their WIFI signals are not strong enough to go through my 4 floors townhouse. Same with Sonic Alert. I have one doorbell transmitter and I wonder if 2 or 3 doorbell transmitters can work together with same receivers? I couldn't find Ultratec Simplicity products anywhere so Sonic Alert is the way to go if my Ultratec products broke. They're still working okay.

Last edited:
I bought Ultratec's Simplicity transmitter/receivers in 2013. Ultratec stopped making Simplicity products, and they told me they stopped making them in 2017. Any reason why? With Ultratec stopped making them we would have less Deaf products to help us with telephone/doorbell ringing flashing. Shame on Ultratec. I tried Sonic Alert doorbell signaler and it rings just 5 times compared to Ultratec Simplicity 10 times, and I like Ultratec better. Their WIFI signals are not strong enough to go through my 4 floors townhouse. Same with Sonic Alert. I have one doorbell transmitter and I wonder if 2 or 3 doorbell transmitters can work together with same receivers? I couldn't find Ultratec Simplicity products anywhere so Sonic Alert is the way to go if my Ultratec products broke. They're still working okay.
I have a set of simplicity transmitters and receivers that were my mothers. The last time they were set up they worked, but we no longer need them. I was getting ready to try and recycle them but would be willing to donate them to someone who could use them or want them for extra parts. I have 2 transmitters with doorbells, 3 wireless receivers and 2 plug in strobe lights. smith2s@hotmail.com

I just use camera with motion detector, strobe light with zigbee plugin and smart hub.

I kept pets that knew I was deaf. One in particular would know of a stranger coming to the house with those radar ears sitting on top of me. As soon it knows the diference between my wife coming home it will show greeting behavior and be happy. If its a stranger and not the correct hour (Say 3 am) it will claw me then fly across the room to it's bunker. Im arleady reaching for the 12 gauge and we will go from here. The last time it was three Lawmen come to inform spouse that her pa had passed. They knew were a armed home and not a problem. It was a hard loss in a difficult year and they were more than gracious.

As far as living well, I had one rule. If you enter my home, space or whatever reach for a room light first or kick the wall down low. What you do NOT want to do is come up directly behind me as a silent shadow. There are certain dangers that kick in and it can be very tragic. So make all the noise and light you need to. Alls well.

Regarding doorbells? Eh...Refer to rule number one when coming into my home or space. I generally know in advance you are visiting. It gets dangerous when it's late before sunrise and you are inside my living room as a dark shadow. Bad things happen fast. (As they have in the past...) There is only like three people who have that ability to come over anytime. The rest make a appointment. Literally a appointment. Unless I call.

Its a small thing. However growing up with pat of the family a form of mountain folks you learned to adopt some of their ways to your own living which has served me excellently in all my years.

The hardest thing with pets is sometimes you have the correct pet. I had a shepard briefly in my own home and we bonded. More than that actually. The judgement showed by the dog inferring if stranger selling magazines is hostile or not is unfailing. And has been correct everytime. And if something did happen and you have not hear it yet (Wood burning in the kitchen it crackles but not too loudly) the dog will come get me and we will go from there. The value in such a service pet is invalubale. especially with one that you have bonded with and takes their play time as hard as they liked their work.

Back