Better alternative to bathing the baby in the kitchen sink????

Buffalo

Reaction score
My landlady is having a girl next week. I just found out that they will be bathing the baby in the kitchen sink. Obviously, I am not so hot about that idea. Is there a better place to bathe a newborn than the kitchen sink. They have a large container to strap the baby in and it has a plug hole to drain out the water. Their bathroom sink is smallish. The mother-to-be is not crazy about bending over the bathtub side to bathe the baby. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

The landlady has the final say in this because it is her baby, after all.

I wonder why you are even posting this as this isn't your baby and you can be viewed as stepping over your boundaries between the landlady and the tenant.

I think it's safer to bathe baby in the kitchen sink as long as the kitchen sink is clean. I did with my newborn babies at first, since my back was sore from being preggy too long.

women been giving their babies a bath in the kitchen sink for years. This is more common then you think. But as the child get older, she'll eventually have to use the tub.

A tiny infant doesn't need to be immersed in any kind of sink or tub, just sponge bathed.

A bigger baby can be bathed in a kitchen sink as long as the sink is thoroughly cleaned before and after. The danger in a kitchen sink is the size of the basin and the location of the faucets. There's a significant difference between a single, large porcelain farm sink with goose-neck faucet, and a small, shallow divided sink with a low faucet.

Even when using a regular bath tub, I would suggest using a baby tub within the tub until the child is a toddler. There's no need to fill up a huge tub with water for such a small body. Also, until babies become toddlers and start getting into messy play situations, there's really no reason to "soak" a baby. Too much time in the water just dries out their delicate skin, and babies aren't dirty enough to require soaking and scrubbing. They usually need more frequent "spot" cleaning.

My kids loooved playing in the bath rub in a bath ring. Of course, the child has to be old enough to sit up well and under constant supervision. Happy memories of bath times!

For many years mothers bath their child in the sink....I didn't. My oldest love the tub....he hated the baby tub....

with my 2nd he loves his baby tub....:)

It is her choice what she want to do with her baby.

Both of mine were bathed in the kitchen sink for the first 2-3 months, then we moved to the tub. Daugher had a massive fear of the water and do either hubby or I would get in the tub with her (in bathing suits) and wash her that way. After she reached 3 I did it myself until she was comfortable being the only one in the tub.

My brother and I've been bathed in kitchen sink. My close friend bathes his baby in sink too. Pretty much everybody does :dunno:

1. dirty baby ugh - now what - looks around and sees
2. clean sink
Plug drain with flat style plug. Place towel or soft baby blanket into sink to make more comfy for child. Fill with body temp or luke warmish water to depth of one or two inches. Place your wrist in water or use thermometer to test for safe temp water. Make sure you have every thing needed before beginning bath.
If baby is a boy, dip his feet into the water and point him away from you. If necessary, repeat steps. Enjoy.
If baby is a girl, skip the last step and enjoy.
Kiss clean baby, enjoy baby smell. If boy baby, diaper first.
If this is your first boy baby, you will find out what I am talking about. Experienced mamas and grandmamas will laugh.
Kitchen sinks have been the traditional baby bathing area since sinks were brought indoors.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My concern was mainly that I don't want anyone get sick if a bacteria get into our food. I did some research and found that the kitchen sink is full of germs. It is best for the sink to be throughly scrubbed before and after the bath to protect the baby and everyone else. I am using dishes that comes from dishwasher or I can wash my dishes else where. I have to find a way around this problem because of my medical condition.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My concern was mainly that I don't want anyone get sick if a bacteria get into our food. I did some research and found that the kitchen sink is full of germs. It is best for the sink to be throughly scrubbed before and after the bath to protect the baby and everyone else. I am using dishes that comes from dishwasher or I can wash my dishes else where. I have to find a way around this problem because of my medical condition.

well bathtub is full of bacteria too. After all - it's where you walk in filthy, leave less filthy. I would say kitchen sink is still cleaner than bathtub because it's metal and it's much easier to disinfect it. but make sure the disinfectant chemical in kitchen sink is flushed down because the smell & contact will irritate baby.

beside - there's no need to fret over keeping kitchen skin spic-span clean because the baby will be in special tub for sink anyway.

most people don't even use a sink, they just stick dishes straight to the dishwasher, But I usually put a tablespoon of bleach in my dishwater when I wash dishes. Comet have bleach too. If I was too freaked out from bacteria, I wouldn't even eat from my dishes.

Your landlady? Why doesn't she use her own sink?
Better brush up on landlord/tenant rights.

Your landlady? Why doesn't she use her own sink?
Better brush up on landlord/tenant rights.
I hope the baby wasn't also conceived in the renters' bedroom. :shock:

Some landladies have lots of nerve, huh?

:giggle:

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.89 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I bath both of mine in the kitchen sink in the past. As they got older I used the tub.

It is a great backsaver!

well bathtub is full of bacteria too. After all - it's where you walk in filthy, leave less filthy. I would say kitchen sink is still cleaner than bathtub because it's metal and it's much easier to disinfect it....
Some sinks are stainless steel but some are porcelain or other materials.

Some sinks are stainless steel but some are porcelain or other materials.

porcelain kitchen sink? hmmm expensive! You don't see that often around here. Beside - not really good idea to have a porcelain kitchen sink since it will not handle all these clattering abuse.

Either way - kitchen sink is easy to clean and easy on your back! I don't have a baby of my own but I've cleaned my dog and ferret doing this way :o

Everytime I did the kids - I always bleached ther sink both before and after the kids. I also bleach the bathtubs before and after kids went in. I still (they are 14 & 15) bleach the kitchen sink and the shower (no bathtub) daily. I'm also allergic to bleach. Go figure.

Back