Deaf child care

deafnannies

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a graduate student at Gallaudet University, and as a community service project for one of my classes I've recently started a website that is designed to connect families who have deaf children with child care providers who are deaf and/or fluent in ASL and have the skills and desire to work with deaf and hard of hearing kids.

If
-you have deaf/hard of hearing kids
OR
-you are fluent in ASL (or other communication modes) and want to work with deaf/hard of hearing kids

Check it out at deafnannies.webs.com

You can find (or advertise to be):
-babysitters
-nannies
-tutors
-deaf mentors
-ASL conversation partners

This site is brand new, and right now I'm concentrating on the Washington, DC metro area, so you'll probably have the most luck there for now. If there's interest, however, this could expand nationally. Please check it out, let me know if I can change it to better suit your needs, and pass it on to friends! Thanks.

Kimberly

Hi,
It is a great idea about the website. I am deaf myself, and I run an in home daycare business for 7 years. Usually, I never work with deaf children but I sure wish. Maybe someday I will. I have been working with hearing kids for 7 years and I taught them sign language. I really enjoy working with children.

If you're interested in having deaf kids in your day care, I'm sure you could get some with a little bit of advertising. I've found that a lot of hearing families would love that chance to have their children in a signing environment so they can get more language exposure from a native speaker, and it gives parents a chance to practice their ASL when dropping off and picking up their kids. I would suggest contacting your local deaf schools and programs, and early intervention service providers and letting them know you're out there. I know parents are interested in this kind of service, it's just that most of them don't know how to find a deaf day care!

I am also a CDA currently in college for my AS degree for Early learning. I am currently working in a child care center. As well I teach my pre schoolers ASL.

As I have mentioned it in another thread. I think it is an awesome to have a Deaf child care center.

This sounds great!
Hope to see it expand internationally :D I'd love to work as an Au Pair one day.

that is so cool . I been looking for an au pair that is compatible with our deaf life when my wife and I was working same time. Now I am stay at home daddy and its so much easier instead of juggling the different working hours and kids schedule and parants are too far away. I just wish there was something like that couple years ago.

may i make a suggestion ? please change the word post your ad to childcare forum or something simalar ? the words that says post your ad think that all you can do. You need something that is more clear for others to READ the ads.:D hope this doesnt come across anything harsh or anything - but just to show it was confusing.

may i make a suggestion ? please change the word post your ad to childcare forum or something simalar ? the words that says post your ad think that all you can do. You need something that is more clear for others to READ the ads.:D hope this doesnt come across anything harsh or anything - but just to show it was confusing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've changed the name. I welcome any comments that can help me make this site better for the families who want to use it, so please feel free to let me know if there is something I can improve... it's much easier to do when I get feedback :)

What an awesome site...I joined just to see the needs and I think you are onto something here, what a great service!!! I never thought of joining my clowning with sign...in the 10+ years I have been clowning i have only met 3 deaf people at those parties/parades...

deaf daycares

If you're interested in having deaf kids in your day care, I'm sure you could get some with a little bit of advertising. I've found that a lot of hearing families would love that chance to have their children in a signing environment so they can get more language exposure from a native speaker, and it gives parents a chance to practice their ASL when dropping off and picking up their kids. I would suggest contacting your local deaf schools and programs, and early intervention service providers and letting them know you're out there. I know parents are interested in this kind of service, it's just that most of them don't know how to find a deaf day care!

I saw a daycare, Primrose in Chattanooga had it advertised on the marquee that they were teaching sign to the toddlers, preschoolers.

Back