Free Caption phone for Deaf

Booger_Bender

Amara Ambassador
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm asking if anyone knows about a free caption phone or phone for the deaf (not relay) how to obtain one and where. please be kind. :):deaf:

you can use hamilton web cap tel, which is free and is not relay, you can check with VR to see if they will pay for a captioned phone, such as through captioncall or captel.

Bender,

I recently acquired a CapTel from VA's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services. My income was low enough so that the state picked up the cost.

It can be set to 1 line or 2 line mode. If set in 1 line,the ccs will appear with
outgoing calls but incoming callers must dial an 800 number,then your phone
number in order for you to see captions. In 2 line mode,you get captions both outgoing and incoming. (Assuming the light on the captions button is on.)

The captions are customizable re: size,color,background,and color of corrections (as needed). I have yellow text,black background,with corrections in blue. Very readable to me!

Hope you find what you need.

WebCapTel is free....no special phone required....it will allow you to view captions on your smartphone or on your computer. If you want a actual phone, CapTel has a lot of state programs where you can get a phone for free.

Hope this helps.

WebCapTel is free....no special phone required....it will allow you to view captions on your smartphone or on your computer. If you want a actual phone, CapTel has a lot of state programs where you can get a phone for free.

Hope this helps.

NYS doesnt seem to be on the free list, just a supposedly reduced price... :(

Phone

Hello Everyone,

I'm asking if anyone knows about a free caption phone or phone for the deaf (not relay) how to obtain one and where. please be kind. :):deaf:

I went to captiontel.com today used promo #HS1105 as suggested by someone here. Its free. I ordered online. They have great customer service so far. I can't wait to try it. I sure miss talking to my mom and family. Good Luck!!!!!:angel:

Hope this helps.

And no offense, but it sucks. Delayed and jumbled words. Screwed up two job interviews for me.

Thanks a lot. Not.

And no offense, but it sucks. Delayed and jumbled words. Screwed up two job interviews for me.

Thanks a lot. Not.

Oh no, is that the one I ordered!! I hope not!! Nothing free is ever very good.

Thanks a lot. Not.

Hmmm...I haven't had the same experience. CapTel is usually pretty good for me, but it sometimes depends on the captioning assistant.

Call your phone company , some companies will give you a free caption phone. If they do not the company may know who you can call. Verizon use to give free phone through my state ,the state took over so now anyone can get a phone if they're deaf or HOH and you do not have to be a Verizon customer.
I live in Massachusetts.

Cap-Tel for deaf people? HUH? I though hearing people use their voice and relay will type caption for hearing people.

Peek, Inc shut down?

Hi,

Peek Inc was for the email/text device. They were shut down three weeks ago. I tried to contact the Peek, Inc many time...but no reply.

Do you have any idea why the Peek,Inc closed?

Thank you,

Deafbear

Back a while ago I did try webcaptel. It kept shutting down during calls. It just stopped. It could not understand my (late) brother's words. He had a thick Texas drawl. It was just useless.

@PowerOn - wow, I didn't know that Sorenson had captioned calling!

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry I replied late. I received and got the Cap-tel and I love it. Thank you so much!!

Back