WVSDB- Using SEE?

MommaC

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Christie, Mom of a beautiful Deaf 3 month old. I realize that I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but in my research I found out that WV School for the Deaf and Blind uses SEE exclusively. I am still learning a lot but understand that there are big differences between SEE and ASL, is this correct? My gut instinct has been that as a family we need to start using ASL to make sure that she has a good form of communication. My question is, are the two languages easily maneuvered between? I want to make sure that she doesn't graduate and find herself unable to communicate or fit in with people who primarily use ASL. Also, any feedback on the school itself would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Christie,
I do know that right now Deaf Ed is going through a huge sea change. By the time your daughter is old enough to go to Deaf School, they will all be bi-bi. Matter of fact I think right now WVSDB is on the verge of changing to Bi-Bi!

SEE is not a language. ASL is.

Thats the difference.

Thank you, shel90. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Deafdyke, thanks. I guess that means I should focus my research on learning more about bi-bi. :)

Bi-Bi is basicly using ASL to teach English.
Excited that you've already decided she's going to Deaf School too! YAY!

I guess what I'm confused about is that from what I'm told, sentence structure is different in asl than spoken english, but wvsdb signs exact english, so if she learns that way will she still be able to effectively communicate with others who use asl? Or am I not understanding this correctly? Thanks for all your help.

My humble opinion would be that the goal of teaching SEE would be so that a child can effectively communicate with others using ENGLISH. With SEE, written and spoken English could be grammatically correct, but it would have no bearing on how well the child can effectively use ASL.

My humble opinion would be that the goal of teaching SEE would be so that a child can effectively communicate with others using ENGLISH. With SEE, written and spoken English could be grammatically correct, but it would have no bearing on how well the child can effectively use ASL.

Video isn't captioned so for my Deaf friends, I will be captioning it for you. Ready?

"D'oh"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khSIYmTzt6U[/ame]

Are you for real? :hmm:

:shock: :jaw: Are you that :crazy:?!?!?!?!? Is your head stuck in the sand?!? I couldn't fathom that would have no bearing on how well the child can effectively use ASL! :slap:
That doesn't work that way, otherwise that would scramble a child's brain into oblivion!
"In my humble opinion", that is the most pathetic statement I ever heard of!

Last edited:
I guess we know who'll be jumping into this page as soon as she catches wind of it.

Gotta love hearing people and the whole "SEE is great" thing ...

The purpose of SEE is to be used in a strictly academic setting to teach English grammar components.

SEE is NOT a language, it's not meant to function as a language - which is good, because it does NOT function as a language.

Hearing people misunderstand how SEE relates to English, and even more, people misunderstand how SEE relates to ASL, and ASL to English.

If you're looking to instill a strong linguistic foundation, then ASL is what you need to use, because it is a complete language, and thus provides a complete language foundation to build on (once you understand how language "works" then learning additional languages is much easier).

Living in a multi-lingual country that is officially bi-lingual I can say that learning TWO complete languages (ASL and English) at the same time is not only "doable" it's beneficial.

Are there times when you might use SEE signs - sure, for example when I read a story book to kids I'll sign it using ASL first, and then we'll read the English words and use SEE to teach reading (then clarify meaning in ASL again).

Last edited:

Not always. I have seen many children start of with SEE and end up with poor literacy skills.

I have seen evidence of that on AD with former members who grew up with SEE. They had a problem with constantly misunderstanding what others wrote and would always get pissed off for the littlest things thinking the other poster meant something totally different from what he/she really meant.

Also, it is not just only looking at incorrect grammar but one's ability to organize their thoughts as well.

SEE is not a language and by building a first language based on SEE is just TOO risky and the child could end up with language delays or deficient.

SEE is just a teaching tool. ASL is a language, not a teaching tool. Big difference.

Not always. I have seen many children start of with SEE and end up with poor literacy skills.

I have seen evidence of that on AD with former members who grew up with SEE. They had a problem with constantly misunderstanding what others wrote and would always get pissed off for the littlest things thinking the other poster meant something totally different from what he/she really meant.

Also, it is not just only looking at incorrect grammar but one's ability to organize their thoughts as well.

SEE is not a language and by building a first language based on SEE is just TOO risky and the child could end up with language delays or deficient.

SEE is just a teaching tool. ASL is a language, not a teaching tool. Big difference.

I agree 100%! I know most of my friends who went through mainstream schools that were taught in all SEE have very poor literacy and English grammar skills. They now use ASL but too late to remedy the skills. That made me cringe when I read their writings. Same goes to former oral school kids. I was from oral school but my mom introduced me to the books at age of one that made me a true avid reader. (Picture books of course) That helped me with my literacy and English grammar skills tremendously. While I was in oral school, we used homemade, gestures and ASL in mix (in private out of staff's eyes) until I picked up ASL at age of 14. That is WHY ASL should be the utmost primary language for Deaf babies all the way.

I agree 100%! I know most of my friends who went through mainstream schools that were taught in all SEE have very poor literacy and English grammar skills. They now use ASL but too late to remedy the skills. That made me cringe when I read their writings. Same goes to former oral school kids. I was from oral school but my mom introduced me to the books at age of one that made me a true avid reader. (Picture books of course) That helped me with my literacy and English grammar skills tremendously. While I was in oral school, we used homemade, gestures and ASL in mix (in private out of staff's eyes) until I picked up ASL at age of 14. That is WHY ASL should be the utmost primary language for Deaf babies all the way.

;:ily:

It is NEVER too late. It's certainly harder but it is never too late. That is a FACT!

Back