Lawmakers Want to Ban Eyeball Tattoos

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
A new form of body art has Oklahoma lawmakers working to ban the practice before it moves to the state. It's called eyeball tattooing. Even tattoo shops across the metro don't know what would propel someone to do something like this, but they say it's unneeded legislation. Lawmakers argue that it's a public health issue. Some of these images are graphic.

Tattooing, it's a form of body art that's been around for centuries. But it's only been legal in Oklahoma for a couple years. It could soon be illegal for people to tattoo the white part of the eye known as the sclera.

Senate Republican Whip Cliff Branan said, "Kind of a counter culture trend, the same folks may chose to pierce certain body parts, it's kind of the next level up."

Senate Bill 844 has unanimously passed through the Health and Human Services Committee. Oklahoma City Senator Cliff Branan says it was brought to him by the Oklahoma Academy of Opthamology. He says it's becoming more trendy to tattoo eye liner or eye brows, but this goes too far.

"It is completely patently disgusting and crazy to do it. We as a good public health policy we felt it was important to stop that trend before it goes any farther here in the state of Oklahoma," Sen. Branan described.

Doctors say there's a high risk for blindness. Though the practice is still being seen on the east and west coast, it hasn't moved to the Midwest just yet.

Jason King, the Owner of Atomic Lotus Tattoo in Oklahoma City said, "The number of people with actual eyeball tattoos in the United States you can probably count on one hand, so it's not a common practice."

King says passing this bill is a waste of time.

"If you want to risk your eye sight to look like you've got a black eye all the time, that's a great procedure for you, but sane people don't do dumb stuff like that," King explained. "It's people trying to advance a moral agenda and save us from ourselves when the fact is we're smart enough to save ourselves."

The bill will now move to the senate floor trying to permanently prohibit an extreme form of body modification.

"If we can stop this for one person from doing it we've been successful," Senator Branan added.

"Common sense will keep this horrible thing from happening," King concluded.

There is a small room of error for tattooing like this, and we're talking millimeters. Senator Branan says even doctors with many years of experience don't perform these types of procedures.

If the bill passes through the Senate without any amendments, it will go the House of Representatives, and could go into affect within three weeks.

KSBI-TV - Ticker - Lawmakers Want to Ban Eyeball Tattoos

:eek:

I don't think I'd have the guts to do a tattoo on my eyeballs - after all, I value my eyesight more than anything else.

While I think the proposed law may be a little bit far fetched but apparently the lawmakers felt that it was needed to propose the bill to ban eyeball tattoos just because some people are more than willing to severe their eyesight.

Jolie said it all.

Your eyesight is the most important thing and why would anyone want to jeopardize it all in the name of art?

Of course, we all know there's the back alley of tattooing. Yikes!

Just because its banned doesnt mean its not happening. Usually when its banned there's more people doing it. Look at prohibition, look at abortion, its followed a similar pattern.

Theres no need to ban such things and I am completely with Jillio, you have to be completely out of your mind to even consider tattooing your eyes. But if someone wants to sever their eyesight for the sake of body art then that is their choice not mine. Its not my place to decide for them.

With these sorts of things your better off allowing it and being able to regulate it than to ban it completely and the entire practice is unregulated and more often than not, unsanitary.

Not only that is kind of....disgusting but who in their right mind would hire you if you have a tattoo on your eye?

Not only that is kind of....disgusting but who in their right mind would hire you if you have a tattoo on your eye?

Precisely and not only that - It can also be distracting enough to see it otherwise.

I figured colored contact lenses would be enough. They have different designs contacts.

Just because its banned doesnt mean its not happening. Usually when its banned there's more people doing it. Look at prohibition, look at abortion, its followed a similar pattern.

Theres no need to ban such things and I am completely with Jillio, you have to be completely out of your mind to even consider tattooing your eyes. But if someone wants to sever their eyesight for the sake of body art then that is their choice not mine. Its not my place to decide for them.

With these sorts of things your better off allowing it and being able to regulate it than to ban it completely and the entire practice is unregulated and more often than not, unsanitary.

True...banning still wont stop eyeball tatoos...same with banning on guns and everything else and they are still there. :roll:

Interesting :shock: I wouldn't want a eyeball tattoos as I value my eyes more than anything.

I bet it would be distracting to see if a person have a glow in the dark eyeball tattoos during at the movie or seeing people walking in the dark with glowed tattoos on their eyeball.

Ouuucchhhh, not the eyes. I won't let anyone touch my eyes!

what they don't realize is banning it will make it more popular , If someone wants to modify their body in a way that wont harm others ,and in a way that is not likely to kill or maim it's their own damn business . I have looked in to this via a few articles this form of tattoo is not likly to go wrong if done by someone who is properly trained artist . I don't see the point of it but it's not me that needs to see the point , it's who ever is getting the work done.

:eek3: No josey way! I cherish my eyes. My eyes are very important to me than losin' one limb.

I didn't know what this meant and I googled images of it. I saw a guy with the eyeball dyed neon blue. I thought it was very disgusting.

basically the white of the eye it's not bad bme has some good shots ans some not so grose as the neon ones , i saw those as well.

No way, I never wanted any eyeball tattoo. That's make me sick to my stomach.
I keep my eyes to see clear.

it's your body , I am not saying you have to get one , I find it rather interesting, I would be tempted but I would go for a milder color just to throw the color to be a bit off.

what they don't realize is banning it will make it more popular , If someone wants to modify their body in a way that wont harm others ,and in a way that is not likely to kill or maim it's their own damn business . I have looked in to this via a few articles this form of tattoo is not likly to go wrong if done by someone who is properly trained artist . I don't see the point of it but it's not me that needs to see the point, it's who ever is getting the work done.

i'm with kate on this one, yep for that I agree, it tempts people. they'd say whats eyeball tattooing , oh i never heard of it, its banned? but its cool......

this sort of reaction does happens

Back