Expectations of Power Hearing aids for severe to profound loss.

Thanks and I want to ask something I forgot to add . Does feedback cancellation lower sound quality of hearing aids ? My hearing aid has 'static' feedback cancellation not dynamic cancellation. My audi did run static cancellation programme . I heard some beeping sounds while testing and the software performed some settings . Yet, I'm thinking of getting it removed after having gotten proper earmolds. What is acrylic earmolds? I already have soft and full shel earmolds and no luck even after fifth or sixth try and hard earmolds even worse and I got 'constant' feedback with hard earmolds . Is this related to the experience level of the person who takes the impressions and made earmolds. He made a half shell or clipped earmold and I didn't like half size earmolds.

I'll discuss about setting UCL and MCL settings with my audiologist. They have a hearing testing room. Thanks cuz I didn't know that alot of consonants are mid pitch !!! I'll consider mid frequency settings.

My aids have noise reduction feature . Does this feature lower the sound quality at quit situations where I don't need noise reduction. Do you recommend using noise reduction feature or removing it ?

And one more point for number of channels. My aids have three channels and my audi said that I don't need more channels and even two channels were sufficient enough for me ! Is that right ? Some other hearing aids have five or eight channels ! Yet, I did read in some sources that as number of channels increases the sound picture break into more pieces and becomes less natural and music quality may decrease with channels more than three . What's your opinion ?

I forgot to add . About telecoil. My aid has telecoil but it seems much less quieter and I cannot get enough volume from it. I tried to listen to music and telephone with T-coild turned on but volume is so low ! Do Normal mode and T-coild use the same volume control ?What can I do about this ? I need much more powerful T-coil.

I have soft earmolds and hard earmolds even didn't worked for me .

When I listen to music I only use headphones and not T-Coil .

Highlands,

What kind of earmolds do you have? Are they soft or made of Lucite (acrylic)? My skeleton earmolds have always been made of Lucite and I've never had problems with feedback. When my audi made impressions of my ears, she asked me to smile so we could avoid the possibility of feedback when I smiled or laughed.

I wonder if some HAs control feedback better than others? The aids I wore were Oticon 380P (analogs) and Oticon DigiFocus II super power (digitals) which I've been told have very good feedback control.

When you listen to music with headphones, do you activate the T-coil? If not, that's something you might want to try. :)

Steve,

Thanks for all the information you have provided in this thread and in others.
I was wondering what gain was.

The problem I am having with the SUMOs seems to happen when someone raises there voice, in noisy situations and if the volume of the TV is too high. The HAs sound staticky and the earmolds vibrate (Just enough to feel it, not a lot). I also find paper rustling too loud.

My left ear a PTA of 79 with Speech discrimination of 16%. My Right Ear has a PTA of 90 with 0 speech discrimination. My hearing loss is the worst in the Mid-tones. I have tried the HAs separately and I have found that the Right has the worst sound quality. The right one does not sound much better from my old hearing aid. (Widex Senso Diva)

What adjustments can you suggest?

What about silicone type earmold which I have had worn for long time from about 95 till 2003 no feedbacks. it is little oversized so it seal real good. the earmold is heat sensitive I believe, it adapt to shape when it is warm. I couldn't remember the name of it but my former audie in rochester, ny when I got it at that time in 91/92, he said it was experimental earmold. I tried and said too big and was told to keep it anyway while I had two new earmold which was comfortable till they got hard or worn so I ended up wearing one left earmold which was that experimental earmold. (could have had a pair!) I have tried looking around for that type for my other ear as well as both ear. they haven't heard of those experimental type. oh well.

Now I don't need it anymore as I have CI now.

This is a little off topic, but I'm *so* glad I no longer have to worry about earmolds! :) After getting constant ear infections from HAs, I don't miss them one bit! My CIs are *so* much more comfortable and lightweight, 99% of the time I forget I have them on. :)

This is a little off topic, but I'm *so* glad I no longer have to worry about earmolds! :) After getting constant ear infections from HAs, I don't miss them one bit! My CIs are *so* much more comfortable and lightweight, 99% of the time I forget I have them on. :)

I want to ask you something . Is the magnet strong enough to keep the processor in the place ?

I want to ask you something . Is the magnet strong enough to keep the processor in the place ?

My processors rest comfortably over my ears like a BTE hearing aid. However, the magnet does help keep it in place to some extent.

I lost a significant amount of weight last year (due to illness), so my audi changed my magnet strength from a "heavier" magnet (#2) to a "lighter" one (#1). It feels much more comfortable than the magnet I was previously using.

For the information of new CI users on the board: Weight gain/loss can have an effect on the magnet strength (headpiece/coil) that is used. If someone loses weight and the magnet they are using is too strong, this can cause infection at the magnet site. If a person gains weight and uses a magnet that is too "light" or weak, it won't stay in place. That's why it's important to let your audi know if you've lost or gained (10 pounds or more of) weight.

My processors rest comfortably over my ears like a BTE hearing aid. However, the magnet does help keep it in place to some extent.

I lost a significant amount of weight last year (due to illness), so my audi changed my magnet strength from a "heavier" magnet (#2) to a "lighter" one (#1). It feels much more comfortable than the magnet I was previously using.

Oh sorry to hear that you were ill last year. Hope you are well now :)

For the information of new CI users on the board: Weight gain/loss can have an effect on the magnet strength (headpiece/coil) that is used. If someone loses weight and the magnet they are using is too strong, this can cause infection at the magnet site. If a person gains weight and uses a magnet that is too "light" or weak, it won't stay in place. That's why it's important to let your audi know if you've lost or gained (10 pounds or more of) weight.

I wear either #1 or #2...depends on if I am wearing a bandanna or not. If I wear a bandanna I put the coil over the bandanna and use #2, it stays on. It works pretty well for me!

I wear either #1 or #2...depends on if I am wearing a bandanna or not. If I wear a bandanna I put the coil over the bandanna and use #2, it stays on. It works pretty well for me!

You were given a choice of having more than one magnet size? I was only given a pair of #2 magnets (until I recently changed to a #1).

Your coil actually stays on when it is put over a bandanna? Wow! I also place the coils over my hair when it is tied back in a pony tail or braid. :)

You were given a choice of having more than one magnet size? I was only given a pair of #2 magnets (until I recently changed to a #1).

Your coil actually stays on when it is put over a bandanna? Wow! I also place the coils over my hair when it is tied back in a pony tail or braid. :)

Yep, it stays on better OVER the bandanna than under it, because then there's no shifting.

I was given both a #1 and a #2 when I was activated, it came in the same box as all my other stuff from Cochlear.

I was given both a #1 and a #2 when I was activated, it came in the same box as all my other stuff from Cochlear.

Interesting! My audi had my accessory kit in her office until my activation day, so I don't know what magnet strength was included. She told me both of my coils were a #2.

Speaking of the accessory kit, I didn't receive mine (for my bilateral CI) for the longest time. I was hospitalized last year before and after my bilateral CI activation, so the kit remained in my audi's office until a few weeks ago. I spent all that time wondering where my accessories were. Cochlear and my former audi said they were already sent to me, but I didn't have anything except for the TV Hi-Fi cable. Low and behold, the accessory kit was in the office of my former audi where it has been since last February/March. :ugh3:

I hadn't known that. I need to lose weight as it's not helping my diabetes. I'm very glad I found this out before I got the implant.

I hadn't known that. I need to lose weight as it's not helping my diabetes. I'm very glad I found this out before I got the implant.

Yes -- this was something I was completely unaware of myself until my audi told me.

That's interesting. I've been one of those fortunate ones who has never had to diet but have a 5 strength magnet due to having thick hair! I'd better not gain any more weight then otherwise I won't find a magnet to stick.

That's interesting. I've been one of those fortunate ones who has never had to diet but have a 5 strength magnet due to having thick hair! I'd better not gain any more weight then otherwise I won't find a magnet to stick.

LOL! Did you know that Cochlear makes a #6 strength magnet? They don't advertise it in their printed literature or on their website, but it is available. I know a CI user who has a #6 magnet because she also has thick hair. :)

LOL! Did you know that Cochlear makes a #6 strength magnet? They don't advertise it in their printed literature or on their website, but it is available. I know a CI user who has a #6 magnet because she also has thick hair. :)

No I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know it's there if I need it.

Does it change the weight of a magnet ?

Does it change the weight of a magnet ?

No. All CI magnets (1/2-6) are the same size and weight. The only difference is in the strength of the magnet itself. For example, a #1 magnet is much weaker than a #6 magnet. :)

Back