hearing aids squeaks because of volume?

I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?
I can hear feedback, but I'm sure what I hear is not as loud as what others hear...because of my severe-profound hearing loss. Recently I took my HAs off and put them in my "holder" on the nightstand. A little while longer my daughter and her friend came in looking for something. It took a minute or two till they realized the sound they were looking for was my HA giving of feedback. Apparently the battery door closed when I put it in the "holder". I did not hear the feedback at all.

I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?

I can hear it because I have a reverse slope loss, where most of my loss is in the lows and my high ranges are almost at normal hearing levels. As far as whistle block goes, if he's wearing Phonak like I always have, then whistleblock should have been run after his fitting and before she did the test to find his loudest comfortable noise level, which she may not have done on a baby who can't tell her the noise is too loud. It should have been done though, every time at every fitting. My audi ran it several times at my last appointment. So it's really silly that she never ran it at all.

I can hear feedback, but I'm sure what I hear is not as loud as what others hear...because of my severe-profound hearing loss. Recently I took my HAs off and put them in my "holder" on the nightstand. A little while longer my daughter and her friend came in looking for something. It took a minute or two till they realized the sound they were looking for was my HA giving of feedback. Apparently the battery door closed when I put it in the "holder". I did not hear the feedback at all.

This happened to me when I was in hospital, only instead of saying something right away the girl in teh next bed for some reason let it run all night long and annoy her for hours, till the next night I was getting changed for bed and all snotty she says "And this time make sure you turn your hearing aids off, they kept me awake all night long" and I said oh I'm sorry but I can't hear it, so she's going "Well, obviously, but be a bit careful" and I couldn't believe she wouldn't just come over and tap me and say sorry but you left your hearing aid on by accident, I'd have put it off! Or even if she didn't want to wake me surely she could have taken the box out of the room to the nurses' station and left a note, I had piles of paper and pens right there next to the offending hearing aid. :roll:

there are several reasons for annoying feedback:
1- The mold: as everyone else said, there could be many reasons for the mold to gives feedback, in my case of it was not fit right or there is venting somewhere it will give noise, the hard mold was not good for me, I had to get the softer silicone, new mold has 60 days return on them as far as I know, discuss it with your audi
2- the tubing that connect the hearing aid with the mold: this tube would always get close to my ear lobe of skin, the heat from my body would make it hard, if the this tube gets harder and harder your kid will hear less than before, he won't be able to tell you this, plus it may give feedback, so keep an eye on this tube and touch it and see if it's harder, it should be soft, I used to change it once every 2-3 months, I would never stay over 3 months with it, it gets so hard, it took me long time to find out that I hear less with it when it hard
3- ear wax: if there is dirt or ear wax in the out ear, this could give some feedback
4- the hearing aid itself: program is too high or something, it should be adjusted to give much less feedback or even avoid it
I found out that the audi plays big role on how to solve problems like this, I strongly recommend you to watch this audi and if you keep getting problem change her or him, your kid will have this problem (hearing loss, hearing aids) for long time, he deserves the best audi, try to get the best one, you will not know until you try few of them even if you have to drive 50 miles or so to them, a good audi is worth every mile

Having 110db loss i wear naida in one ear (CI in other) the audi had maxed it out completely and said to me that it might give alot of feedbacks, they also gave me new mould which is arylic (sp) and quite stiff mold, I got constant feedback until i switched back to my old mold which is silicone and softer, I haven't had feed back since. I have now got small problem, the national health service had stopped making silicone molds because it's too expensive (sighs) I have told them that I am prepared to buy them myself. Sometimes we need to go the extra mile to get what we need.

Also hugging people is common problem, I have friends who are deaf and wears HAs. my CI is on my hugging side, I could hear their HA feeding back, it's just slight movement of the mold and HA.

The thickness of tubing is also a factor, the thicker of tube the less the sound escapes, every time i get new mold the tube were very soft and thin, i have bag of tubes at home which is thicker and more rigid but not hard.

Things you should look out for in the future, when the tube gets old it becomes hard, splits, there might be a hole in the middle (at the mouth of the outer mold) the colouring of tube (usually yellow) and the tube seperates from the mold quite often (they should not come out easily when new) this is when the tube needs replacing.

Having 110db loss i wear naida in one ear (CI in other) the audi had maxed it out completely and said to me that it might give alot of feedbacks, they also gave me new mould which is arylic (sp) and quite stiff mold, I got constant feedback until i switched back to my old mold which is silicone and softer, I haven't had feed back since. I have now got small problem, the national health service had stopped making silicone molds because it's too expensive (sighs) I have told them that I am prepared to buy them myself. Sometimes we need to go the extra mile to get what we need.

Also hugging people is common problem, I have friends who are deaf and wears HAs. my CI is on my hugging side, I could hear their HA feeding back, it's just slight movement of the mold and HA.

The thickness of tubing is also a factor, the thicker of tube the less the sound escapes, every time i get new mold the tube were very soft and thin, i have bag of tubes at home which is thicker and more rigid but not hard.

Things you should look out for in the future, when the tube gets old it becomes hard, splits, there might be a hole in the middle (at the mouth of the outer mold) the colouring of tube (usually yellow) and the tube seperates from the mold quite often (they should not come out easily when new) this is when the tube needs replacing.

I recently had a tubing that cracked at the outer base of the earmold, because of the way it was formed before it entered the mold. It formed a crack, I was always getting feedback, I couldn't see it until looking under a bright light. I bent the tube out and found the crack in the crease of the tubing. This was a brand new tubing, so it doesn't have to be old to be a problem....

Have anyone heard of that?

My son got his hearing aids turned up 10db maybe 3 weeks ago. I've been having problems with his hearing aids before because the ear mold cracked. She replaced it. Today I went in to see her, to get the attachment for the FM system (she ordered or Phonak sent the wrong part) and told her that my son's ear mold is making a lot of noise. She said it might be due to the fact that it's turned up too loud. Really? it's the feedback/squeaking sound, not voices. Have anyone had this problem? I don't get it. We got super hearing aids but you can't turn it up? We're coming back Friday to get both problems fixed. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone have heard of this?

I'm still so new at this and there's so much to learn...

You might want to think about getting a second opinion. But it probably is a cracked ear mold.

Back