Really struggling with feeling useless

Hi everyone... I'm new here and found your website so welcoming. I'm not deaf, but my assistant who heads up our Data Entry Program (DEP) is and she is the hardest worker I have ever met. We are a court research company doing field work and always have need for data entry people. You won't be an employee, but an independent contractor and your wages will be reported at year's end via a 1099-Misc. (no taxes taken out).

If you have data entry or typing skills of at least 40 wpm and believe yourself to be dedicated and reliable with the ability to work independently toward meeting deadlines, I would be interested in interviewing you. This is a strictly work at home job. There is no membership to join or software to buy or even a book. We just want to find citizens of the U.S. who want to work. We are a small family-owned business who prefers to offer work to Americans instead of outsourcing it like many of our fellow business associates. You won't get rich doing data entry work, but it is stable income. If you type about 60 wpm, your average hourly rate will be $10 an hour. Your pay is reflective of your typing speed.

Please, serious inquiries only. For more information, just let me know.

Jennifer

Fascinating. Unfortunately, there is no way to contact you. :hmm:

Not interested, but just want to say, GOOD ON YOU! For wanting to hire deaf/hoh and for keeping jobs in America.

I applaud you.

+1

As a former Farmer's Insurance employee, data entry is a good field for deaf people who like that kind of thing. :)

i'm not really gonna reply to your post up there.. but i get the feeling of being useless and worthless just because i'm not 'normal'.. just because i am deaf, doesn't mean i'm not normal. i'm in highschool now and it's so hard to go through everything because people judge you on first impressions and everything. it gets hard sometimes, but you know, i also like being deaf because it makes me different from everyone else and some people actually think it's cool.. so yeah, just wanted to get that off my chest ahah. if your hearing is detoriating, just be happy that you got the hearing in the first place instead of never being able to hear completely from birth.

Are you joking! Just be happy you had hearing!! I can't believe anyone would say this to a person! That is like teling a person that lost both legs , just be happy you had legs! My brother in law is losing his hearing and I would NEVER say such an insensitive thing to him!

Thanks to everyone - I sure apprecite your thoughts. I do have on hearing aid for my right ear but it's gotten to the point that it really isn't doing any good anymore. The idea of a Montessori classroom for HH kids is a great thing; I have yet to come across it in my area. (Or any area yet) - I have not yet taken up ASL - and I know I need to. And yea Lauren your point is a good one. It does make me different. I haven't yet come around to being ok with that - still basically running away from hearing people in the marketplace with very little tolerance, understanding or knowledge of dealing with HH or deaf. This very thing is whuy I opened my own - and work from home. I will not say my attitude has been good - it hasn't - but I am a work in progress. I come to alldeaf to communicate with people like you who have an awesome attitude about it - hoping it eventually rubs off on me. :)

I still can't understand how people think being deaf or HOH is a great way to be different. I will never get this. I am 64 years old and I still hate being HOH. I would love to be able to hear my granddaughter better, and I never got to hear my daughter whistle when she was a baby! She was whistling when she was a 10 months old and I miss not being able to hear this!

it is a bitch to go deaf later in life. i lost my hearing when i was 11. never even met another deaf til i was 16 and thought i was the only deaf in the world at the time. this was before computers and in the infancy of the TTY even. things are a lot better these days with support and deaf awareness. you will miss a lot of things you used to do. i only missed the hearing on occasions cuz i was too busy just going thru daily life.
you will manage, but also be cursing a lot ! :lol:

it is a bitch to go deaf later in life. i lost my hearing when i was 11. never even met another deaf til i was 16 and thought i was the only deaf in the world at the time. this was before computers and in the infancy of the TTY even. things are a lot better these days with support and deaf awareness. you will miss a lot of things you used to do. i only missed the hearing on occasions cuz i was too busy just going thru daily life.
you will manage, but also be cursing a lot ! :lol:

I when to school with a girl that was HOH ,she told me when her tonsils were removed the doctor messed up and cut too close and she became HOH!
I had my tonsil removed too, I sure glad my doctor did not mess up. The doctor told my parents if my tonsils were removed I would talk better and my believed the doctor! WTF!

I when to school with a girl that was HOH ,she told me when her tonsils were removed the doctor messed up and cut too close and she became HOH!
I had my tonsil removed too, I sure glad my doctor did not mess up. The doctor told my parents if my tonsils were removed I would talk better and my believed the doctor! WTF!
Huh... becoming deaf from having your tonsils removed?

I still can't understand how people think being deaf or HOH is a great way to be different. I will never get this. I am 64 years old and I still hate being HOH. I would love to be able to hear my granddaughter better, and I never got to hear my daughter whistle when she was a baby! She was whistling when she was a 10 months old and I miss not being able to hear this!

It is more stressful hating myself and my deafness so I embraced it and live my life to the fullest as a deaf person. Life since then has been much much easier.

really too much your stress cause you cut off stress because you increase worst because your worst mess, careful your infection avoid!!

Hello to anyone reading and thanks for listening. I am really struggling with feeling like all the education and time I put into making something of myself is evaportaing as my hearing is totally deteriorating. I am a teacher ( of the smallest kind of people) by trade - babies - 4 year olds. Been at this for 9 years, and managed to get my Montessori credential and a BA while I was at it! But both fields require me to be hearing! For example - the need to communicate reguarly with parents, staff and children! The need to be able to hear them to keep them safe! The BA is specifically for counseling. Can you imagine coming into my office to tell me you are thinking of doing yourself harm and instead of doing what NEEDS to be done to keep that from happening....(ie code 5150) I ask you to REPEAT yourself!?

I swear if I could find just something to do at home...typing all day, proofreading, editing - I dont care - I would take it.

Thanks again for the moment to vent

Ang~

Because you like working with young children - what about starting to learn ASL, as well as find some peer mentors to help you learn not only ASL, but to learn how to navigate the world as a Hoh / Deaf person?

You could, with a few years of university become a teacher of the deaf (anything from preschool - highschool, whatever YOU want), or a counsellor at a school or organization for families with Hoh/Deaf children.

There are LOTS of options - almost anything that you WANT to do, you CAN do ... it may take some re-training, learning a new language (I learned ASL as an adult, and I LOVE it... it just "makes sense" to me!), finding out how to access and use various accommodations etc ... but as long as you have Faith in yourself, and decide what you WANT to do ... you CAN get there!!

There are Hoh/Deaf people who are Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Social Workers, Counsellors, Librarians, Mechanics, Musicians, Dentists, Educational Assistants, Professors, Principals of Schools ... almost anything you can imagine - people with hearing loss, people who are Hoh, deaf/Deaf CAN and DO do. You can too ...

If you love teaching Montessori pre-school ... then you could start learning ASL and look into setting up a Montessori Pre-school class specifically for those who are Hoh/Deaf (or come from a Hoh/Deaf family), or hearing children who's parents would like them to learn in a Bi-Bi (bi-lingual, bi-cultural) environment. The Hoh/Deaf program could be in the same building as the "hearing" Montessori school", but with it's own classroom. For this Hoh/Deaf class you could have a Hearing educational assistant (or other teacher) to be the "ears" - however with the proper visual signalling devices (visual smoke alarm, visual class bells, visual doorbell, visual phone/TTY ringer etc) you'll soon likely realize that in that environment you really don't need your ears - because you can SEE everything you need :)

In starting a program like this - so that YOU can keep doing what you love ... you also OPEN the doors to sooo many Hoh/Deaf children and their families that might not otherwise have an opportunity to attend a Montessori type class/school ... you're challenge/struggle - may in time, become a gift to dozens (& over the years) even hundreds of ecstatic, enthusiastic, bright, kids - who happen to be Hoh/Deaf - and for that reason alone may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience the joy, fun and creativity of a Montessori learning environment.

The biggest barriers we face in life - are the ones we make ourselves.

Gosh, I feel the same way. I was in school to be a rad. tech (x-ray tech) but that was a no go when my hearing took a dump over the summer.

Depending on how my current situation goes, I may/not(gov't stuff) be looking into a new career.

In case I never said this over a year ago when I posted I LOVE ALL OF THE EFFORTS AND AFFIRMATION AND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT YOU PEOPLE PUT INTO THIS THREAD. I can NEVER say thank you ENOUGH~! This is truly the only place I get the affirmation in this area that I need. UPDATE: Still considering looking for work- re reading all your posts comforted me all over again. I am still doing daycare- but have become a power seller on Ebay and working with Amazon as well. The post about the opportunity to explore being an entreprneur was right on the money. (No pun intended). I need to come back here more often!!!~!

In case I never said this over a year ago when I posted I LOVE ALL OF THE EFFORTS AND AFFIRMATION AND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT YOU PEOPLE PUT INTO THIS THREAD. I can NEVER say thank you ENOUGH~! This is truly the only place I get the affirmation in this area that I need. UPDATE: Still considering looking for work- re reading all your posts comforted me all over again. I am still doing daycare- but have become a power seller on Ebay and working with Amazon as well. The post about the opportunity to explore being an entreprneur was right on the money. (No pun intended). I need to come back here more often!!!~!

you struggle on something job? struggle something issues tough! want to wise on increase hours!

Hi there: Sometimes working from home can be ahrd- the hours are long....and the pay can be great or not so great..I still look to see if there are jobs I might be able to do with this hearing loss...but everything said on this thread is true. It changes you. I thought it changed me for ther worse- but I now realiZe- I would have never gotten as far as I have on Ebay if I were not HOH.

Hi there: Sometimes working from home can be ahrd- the hours are long....and the pay can be great or not so great..I still look to see if there are jobs I might be able to do with this hearing loss...but everything said on this thread is true. It changes you. I thought it changed me for ther worse- but I now realiZe- I would have never gotten as far as I have on Ebay if I were not HOH.

Oh Really i understand clear you struggle something issues problem!

Hello to anyone reading and thanks for listening. I am really struggling with feeling like all the education and time I put into making something of myself is evaportaing as my hearing is totally deteriorating. I am a teacher ( of the smallest kind of people) by trade - babies - 4 year olds. Been at this for 9 years, and managed to get my Montessori credential and a BA while I was at it! But both fields require me to be hearing! For example - the need to communicate reguarly with parents, staff and children! The need to be able to hear them to keep them safe! The BA is specifically for counseling. Can you imagine coming into my office to tell me you are thinking of doing yourself harm and instead of doing what NEEDS to be done to keep that from happening....(ie code 5150) I ask you to REPEAT yourself!?

I swear if I could find just something to do at home...typing all day, proofreading, editing - I dont care - I would take it.

Thanks again for the moment to vent

Ang~

I dont' know if this has been mentioned but have you ever thought of getting a cochlear implant? It opens up more avenues for jobs. One of my audiologists actually has 2 cochlear implants. If i didn't have other health problems i would definately get into that field.

If that's not possible you can look into MTurk. Its an amazon.com job service for different kinds of data entry. Pay is not good but it will definately keep you busy.

Other than that maybe its a good time to try out your creative side? You could start small. Maybe small crafts, or painting.

Recently i've been restricted to my house and the amount of things i can do because of autoimmune flare-ups. It is very aggrevating. I can't put too much time into work as I use to. I try to do creative things, and it helps keep me positive. I do mostly wood working projects and will get back into painting soon. Most of the creative past times can be learned through google, so it won't cost much.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Have you connected with your local Deaf/Hoh community? You can get help advocating for reasonable accommodations. As for communicating with parents, preschool sent a written report daily, which I greatly appreciated. Now, I rarely communicate with a teacher in person or by phone. Everyone emails and texts. If you don't have a laptop and smart phone, you need to get them.

i'm not really gonna reply to your post up there.. but i get the feeling of being useless and worthless just because i'm not 'normal'.. just because i am deaf, doesn't mean i'm not normal. i'm in highschool now and it's so hard to go through everything because people judge you on first impressions and everything. it gets hard sometimes, but you know, i also like being deaf because it makes me different from everyone else and some people actually think it's cool.. so yeah, just wanted to get that off my chest ahah. if your hearing is detoriating, just be happy that you got the hearing in the first place instead of never being able to hear completely from birth.

Did you read the whole post ? The OP is worried about not being able to do her job!! I can't stand people telling others how they should feel about losing their hearing!

Back