Does your state or city has a seatbelt law for dog?

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
I was told someone in my city got a ticket as their dog was in the front seat of the car and was not wearing it seat belt!

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

No,we don't have that law in SC. Did you look up the law for your state?

No,we don't have that law in SC. Did you look up the law for your state?

I did and could not find any laws and I called the ACO and her husband said he never heard of such a law in our city. So I am not sure why a woman told someone at the pet store she got a ticket for this here. I was wondering if other states or cities had such a law. We're being told how to feed our kids or lose them so I would not be surprise if there was dog seat belt law some where!

I was told someone in my city got a ticket as their dog was in the front seat of the car and was not wearing it seat belt!

:shock:...Say what?...Have never heard of this before. I do know if dogs are in the back of a truck, they need to be secured, but inside of a car?

My doggie would not stay inside of a seat belt...if it were the law here in Florida, I'd have to buy a baby carrier....hmmmm...could be a good idea, tho'! She's always in the back seat of my car.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Never heard of a such law. Some dogs will not stay still with a seat belt. Bad idea to me.

:shock:...Say what?...Have never heard of this before. I do know if dogs are in the back of a truck, they need to be secured, but inside of a car?

My doggie would not stay inside of a seat belt...if it were the law here in Florida, I'd have to buy a baby carrier....hmmmm...could be a good idea, tho'! She's always in the back seat of my car.

I know it against the law to have dog in the back of a pickup truck , but I still see people doing this! And it is so dangerous for the dogs, a vet told he saw dogs that where badly hurt from falling out the truck or worst killed! :(
My little Marty sit the back seat . If a dog is secured in the back of the truck you need to made sure the rope or leash it not too long or the dog could get hung if it tried to jump off the truck!

We don't even have laws about securing them in the back of trucks. I also see people riding "loose" in the backs of trucks, too.

I don't believe we have seat belt law for dogs but my dogs do have and use their own seat belts - it's harnesses that attach to the existing car belt.
Either that, or crated in the car - my puppies generally are not mature enough for seat belts til about a year or two.

I recall once we went to a Rottie rescue event and many people brought thair dogs - it was more like a small "pet fair" or "reunion" of people who had adopted - or were interested in adopting. So many people brought dogs with them and I gave a little training presentation.
But as we were just pulling into the parking lot, someone else was also coming in, and they had a young male Rottie who was riding about halfway out the truck window - he was loose in the front seat there. He was excited and started to jump out while the truck was still parking:shock: and his leash got tangled up in the seat belt and he was dragged for about a minute, hanging out the window, his hind legs touching the ground but he was all tangled up and still partly in the window...people came rushing from all directions to help and he was fine, the truck had stopped.
And his people yelled at him after....:mad:

Oh Lord. There is just no known cure for stupidity, is there??

My states (VA and NC) don't have seat-belt laws for dogs, but we almost always take them in the station wagon in their crates. Once in a while they ride in the back seats, if it's a short trip. Pippin is OK in a seat belt (we have the kind that is padded in front, like a shield across the chest); Casey won't have it, and can wiggle out of anything we've tried on him. He's just too skinny to be adequately held in by a doggie seat belt that is long enough for him.

Oh Lord. There is just no known cure for stupidity, is there??

My states (VA and NC) don't have seat-belt laws for dogs, but we almost always take them in the station wagon in their crates. Once in a while they ride in the back seats, if it's a short trip. Pippin is OK in a seat belt (we have the kind that is padded in front, like a shield across the chest); Casey won't have it, and can wiggle out of anything we've tried on him. He's just too skinny to be adequately held in by a doggie seat belt that is long enough for him.

When I first got Marty I brought a crate to use in the car as I did not know how he was going behave. But when I went to lift the crate up the door started to opened up! It turn out it was the way dogs crates are made today! It tried to find a better quality made dog crate but had no luck. When I pick the crate up the weight of Marty pulled the top lose and this cause the door to open and there was no way to correct this!!
My daughter has Rav4 and her husband put in dog gate in the back to keep Finlay off the seats. Finlay was able to wiggle his way through the gate and he had long legs! My daughter and I could not believe Finlay was able to get through the small space!!

When I first got Marty I brought a crate to use in the car as I did not know how he was going behave. But when I went to lift the crate up the door started to opened up! It turn out it was the way dogs crates are made today! It tried to find a better quality made dog crate but had no luck. When I pick the crate up the weight of Marty pulled the top lose and this cause the door to open and there was no way to correct this!!
My daughter has Rav4 and her husband put in dog gate in the back to keep Finlay off the seats. Finlay was able to wiggle his way through the gate and he had long legs! My daughter and I could not believe Finlay was able to get through the small space!!

chainlock'em. problem solved.

149xy4k.jpg

We were taking our male Lab (Bear) to the vet's one day. It was a short trip in the car. Hubby was driving, I was in the front passenger seat. Bear was in the back seat. I held his leash. We had the two front side windows open. The back seat windows were closed. We thought that was a safe way to travel yet still provide a fresh breeze for Bear.

Just as we got within sight of the vet's office, 60-lb. Bear leaped out my window! The car was moving on a busy road. I held on to his leash and pulled him back into the car. It wasn't easy, believe me.

We must have looked interesting to other drivers. A big black dog hanging on the outside of a moving car. :eek3:

BTW, he was just fine after. :D

We were taking our male Lab (Bear) to the vet's one day. It was a short trip in the car. Hubby was driving, I was in the front passenger seat. Bear was in the back seat. I held his leash. We had the two front side windows open. The back seat windows were closed. We thought that was a safe way to travel yet still provide a fresh breeze for Bear.

Just as we got within sight of the vet's office, 60-lb. Bear leaped out my window! The car was moving on a busy road. I held on to his leash and pulled him back into the car. It wasn't easy, believe me.

We must have looked interesting to other drivers. A big black dog hanging on the outside of a moving car. :eek3:

BTW, he was just fine after. :D

Something like that happen in my city! Some people where visiting friends and they had their dog with them. The dog was in the back seat and the windows where wide open! The people had to stop for traffic and the dog jumped out of car! The owners lived in NY and where only staying in here for a few days. This was in the news paper and there where people looking for the lost dog for 3 days! Someone finally found the poor dog, it was hungry and frighten! The owners where really lucky as we have a coyote around here! I am glad your dog was ok!

Something like that happen in my city! Some people where visiting friends and they had their dog with them. The dog was in the back seat and the windows where wide open! The people had to stop for traffic and the dog jumped out of car! The owners lived in NY and where only staying in here for a few days. This was in the news paper and there where people looking for the lost dog for 3 days! Someone finally found the poor dog, it was hungry and frighten! The owners where really lucky as we have a coyote around here! I am glad your dog was ok!
Yeah, he was OK. He actually climbed over my shoulder and out my window. If I hadn't been holding his leash, he would have fallen on the road. If I hadn't been strapped into the car, maybe he would have pulled me out!

I don't think he liked going to the vet. :lol:

Finlay was so special to you; every time you mention him the great love you had for him comes pouring through.

Back to Marty - I don't understand what kind of dog crate you have that Marty's weight could pull the top loose. I thought Marty was a fairly small dog, for one thing. I'm wondering though if there are some kind of bolts or something that were too loose?

I couldn't find a picture of the exact type we use, but they are something like this Petmate airline-approved kennel. It's plastic and has plastic bolts on it.

kennel airline travel kit | Petmate

I don't think Wyoming has such a law... I've driven around with my dog in the passenger seat, passed cops and never was there an issue. And loads of other people in town have their dogs free in their vehicles too. I do have a crate in the back seat for my dog for longer travels. If it's a quick short trip, I don't always put my dog in the crate. I don't ever have my windows open though, just the AC going when it's hot out.

Me too. Pippin, my smaller dog, would never attempt to jump out of a car. Casey, who is taller but skinnier, might. So I never drive around with the windows open if they are not in their cages, either.

God gave us car air-conditioning for a reason - so that our dogs would never be put in danger. "Life revolves around the convenience of the dogs" is the operating principle behind so many of my daily decisions! :lol:

Back