discovery channel: deafblind triplets

Hear Again

Reaction score
hi everyone,

for those who may be interested, the discovery channel will be airing a program on wednesday night at 8 pm about zoe, sophie and emma hooker -- the deafblind triplets that you may have read about.

more information can be found at:

Discovery Health :: TV Listings :: Deaf and Blind Triplets

by the way, if you'd like a reminder about this show, type in your e-mail address and click the "submit" button.

i for one am really looking forward to this program! it should be very interesting. :)

Interesting!

I love the discovery channel!

Thanks for informing me. I will be sure to watch it.

I saw it a few months ago. When you see it, let me know. We can discuss it.

I've heard about them....but haven't see them on TV. Thanks for let me know...I'll set up recording on my DVR! :) So I can watch it and fast forward those stupid ass commercials!

you're welcome, everyone. :)

nika, i would love to discuss this program with you. after i've finished watching it, i'll send you a pm.

I read them in reader's digest last month but I missed them on TV. They are so interest. it is worth to watch if it will rerun in the future.

I read them in reader's digest last month but I missed them on TV. They are so interest. it is worth to watch if it will rerun in the future.

it will be shown on january 14th at 8 and 11 pm and january 17th at 1 pm.

I hope people can discuss it in this thread or better still if anyone could possibly explain what its about for those who don't have a TV that would be very useful for me.

I've read several articles about the Deafblind triplets. I find their case very interesting. Only the last article was published in 2007 so it's already out of date. I'd like to know how they are doing now?

dreama,

after i've watched the program, i will post my comments about it here.

I set on recording on Wed at 11 PM...I though of 8 or 9 but nah 11 is fine because what if my son wants to watch cartoon on Nicks or cartoon channel or whatever. :) So hardly to wait and watch that show on Thursday then we can discuss! :)

I hope people can discuss it in this thread or better still if anyone could possibly explain what its about for those who don't have a TV that would be very useful for me.

I've read several articles about the Deafblind triplets. I find their case very interesting. Only the last article was published in 2007 so it's already out of date. I'd like to know how they are doing now?
I see, if I can remember one of the girls are still behind in communicate even they have CI. One goes to school and is doing better than other two. I did not have time to read whole thing on Christmas day when I visited my in laws. But I will watch on TV this Wed night with better picture.

I see, if I can remember one of the girls are still behind in communicate even they have CI. One goes to school and is doing better than other two. I did not have time to read whole thing on Christmas day when I visited my in laws. But I will watch on TV this Wed night with better picture.

i no longer remember which triplet has a ci, but i do know that she was born totally deaf, so that may have something to do with her inability to use her ci for communication. remember, if you are born deaf and blind, a person needs to teach you how to hear with your ci and interpret the sounds around you.
this triplet also has severe developmental delays, so that also plays a part as well. the triplet who is legally blind and has some residual vision is doing better than the other two because she still has sight that she can rely on to some extent.

dreama,

after i've watched the program, i will post my comments about it here.

Thanks hear again.

If I can remember from the articles I read I thought they had all been implanted. They were born blind from ROP but then they lost their hearing sometimes after that due to an averse reaction from a drug they were given.

I think they all have developmental delays. I think Zoe and Emma are the worse. Sophie is the one with useful vision who can manage a little better then the others and make more use out of her CI.

I always wonder how come Sophie managed better? I've heard elsewhere that totally blind can usually manage better with CI since they can use the brain that is normally geared to sight to help them process the information. That's what I've read anyway.

Thanks Jazzy.

Thanks hear again.

If I can remember from the articles I read I thought they had all been implanted. They were born blind from ROP but then they lost their hearing sometimes after that due to an averse reaction from a drug they were given.

I think they all have developmental delays. I think Zoe and Emma are the worse. Sophie is the one with useful vision who can manage a little better then the others and make more use out of her CI.

I always wonder how come Sophie managed better? I've heard elsewhere that totally blind can usually manage better with CI since they can use the brain that is normally geared to sight to help them process the information. That's what I've read anyway.

this is only speculation, but i'm guessing that sophie manages better due to her residual vision. even though she cannot see well, she still does have enough visual input to aid her in understanding what she hears through her ci.

incidentally, in my case, my former ci audi thought my total blindness would pose difficulty for me in being able to interpret sounds around me. if anything, i found the opposite was true. due to the fact that i wasn't distracted by visual stimuli and didn't rely on looking around me for sounds (the way sighted ci users do), i was able to make sense of the sounds i heard.

from what i understand, only sophie has a ci. zoe and emma do not. if i am wrong about that, i hope someone will correct me.

nika said he saw the program. perhaps he can tell us how many of them have implants.

im really love watch deaf/blind triplets baby but i cant wait but i did setup on my dvr

this is only speculation, but i'm guessing that sophie manages better due to her residual vision. even though she cannot see well, she still does have enough visual input to aid her in understanding what she hears through her ci.

incidentally, in my case, my former ci audi thought my total blindness would pose difficulty for me in being able to interpret sounds around me. if anything, i found the opposite was true. due to the fact that i wasn't distracted by visual stimuli and didn't rely on looking around me for sounds (the way sighted ci users do), i was able to make sense of the sounds i heard.

from what i understand, only sophie has a ci. zoe and emma do not. if i am wrong about that, i hope someone will correct me.

nika said he saw the program. perhaps he can tell us how many of them have implants.

That's interesting that you find being totally blind helps with your CI. Emma and Zoe also have CI but their's failed to work.

That's interesting that you find being totally blind helps with your CI. Emma and Zoe also have CI but their's failed to work.

what do you mean by "failed to work?" were emma and zoe able to hear environmental sounds with their ci?

Back