Anyone Else Avoid Eye Contact?

Doug5

Reaction score
I do it when not wearing my ha's, to avoid getting into conversations with people. Its hard to understand people without them, so I dont bother

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Yea but so do plenty of hearing people. If I catch someone's eye, I'll smile but I don't give her/him an opportunity to strike up a conversation.

Yup, sometimes I put on my sunglasses, since I have light-sensitivity, and just walk on by with my service dog :cool2: (BTW, I never claim to be blind or that Leah is a seeing-eye dog. I have a legitimate reason for both dog and glasses, it's there "fault" for thinking of a logical conclusion that I might be blind. :naughty:)

Yup, sometimes I put on my sunglasses, since I have light-sensitivity, and just walk on by with my service dog :cool2: (BTW, I never claim to be blind or that Leah is a seeing-eye dog. I have a legitimate reason for both dog and glasses, it's there "fault" for thinking of a logical conclusion that I might be blind. :naughty:)

Sorry, off topic but...
I have light sensitivity as well, and cannot go outside without my sunglasses. I even wear them inside sometimes if my eyes are feeling particularly sensitive in flourescent light. Have you gone to an optometrist for that? I've been thinking about making an appt to see if there are rx glasses that are geared just toward "dimming the light" due to lack of a better phrase. Do you have something like that? Just curious.

Why is CSign banned?

Anyway, I always wear BTE in public so ppl know Im deaf. When a person is talkin' to me and I didnt hear that person, the person will no take it personal b/c the person see my aid.

One time, I went canoing.I never wear my aid when I'm canoing. One day, amish girl on her canoe was talkin to me and I had to ignore her b/c I do not like to say Im sorry Im deaf. :(

Why is CSign banned?

Anyway, I always wear BTE in public so ppl know Im deaf. When a person is talkin' to me and I didnt hear that person, the person will no take it personal b/c the person see my aid.

One time, I went canoing.I never wear my aid when I'm canoing. One day, amish girl on her canoe was talkin to me and I had to ignore her b/c I do not like to say Im sorry Im deaf. :(

I hope one day - you'll make peace with your deafness

I hope one day - you'll make peace with your deafness

I'm very peaceful with my deafness. It's hard for them to believe me Im deaf just b/c I can barely talk. Know what Im saying. If Im not sure the person is talkin to me, I simply ignore. Nothin' wrong wit dat. :)

I'm very peaceful with my deafness. It's hard for them to believe me Im deaf just b/c I can barely talk. Know what Im saying. If Im not sure the person is talkin to me, I simply ignore. Nothin' wrong wit dat. :)

oh? so why do you keep getting frustrated and embarrassed about your HA? You were also frustrated about not finding a girl because of your HA.

The only times I avoid eye contact is when I don't want to get engaged into a conversation.

I had an argument with my best friend in Thailand in a very public place. I looked away to end it because I didn't want to argue publicly and especially in front of my son. My best friend thought I was being very rude and I had to later explain to her it was because I wanted to nip the fight in the bud before it escalated.

Growing up, I avoided eye contact to pretend I didn't hear my mother ask me to do the dishes. She never let me get away with that though, darn!

I will avoid eye contact if I'm in a bitchy mood, having a bad hair day or just too busy, running late and don't want to be bothered....

Not becuz of my deafness tho'....as just today, I was leaving the Groomers with my Dog, and this lady stopped me to admire my doggie "Anita"...and once she found out I was deaf, she signed to me...so the convo was real nice!...

I've no need to avoid people because of my deafness. Most of us want the hearing to accommodate us...and some do just that, others have no idea of how to do that and it's understandable (as for me it is). Just a friendly wave of Hi/Hello...and how are you should suffice...

Do you have a gf? I doubt it.

oh I see. Getting all defensive and lashing back.

To answer your question - no I don't because it was by choice. I ain't ready yet to settle down for "real relationship".

The difference between you and I is that I don't have any insecurity about my HA or deafness when it comes to meeting girls. You do. You get frustrated about it and you blame your HA for letting guys cockblock you from meeting girls.

I tell everybody that "I'm ddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafffffffff. you cool with that?" :cool2:

oh I see. Getting all defensive and lashing back.

To answer your question - no I don't because it was by choice. I ain't ready yet to settle down for "real relationship".

The difference between you and I is that I don't have any insecurity about my HA or deafness when it comes to meeting girls. You do. You get frustrated about it and you blame your HA for letting guys cockblock you from meeting girls.

I tell everybody that "I'm ddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafffffffff. you cool with that?" :cool2:

Stop taking personal shots at me. You dont read all of my posts and I can tell. Maybe you need to get a life. Over 30 posts a day in here? Dont tell me this forum is yo life.

EDIT: You actin like this, you must be really sexually frustrated

I don't try to avoid eye contact when I'm not wearing my hearing aids.

I just don't look at people in a way as if I want to start a conversation. ;)

Stop taking personal shots at me. You dont read all of my posts and I can tell. Maybe you need to get a life. Over 30 posts a day in here? Dont tell me this forum is yo life.

EDIT: You actin like this, you must be really sexually frustrated

it's ok. keep lashing out. make me feel like a small boy. I don't mind.

In case you don't see it - I'm trying to tell you to get over it and stop blaming your life problem on your HA.

it's ok. keep lashing out. make me feel like a small boy. I don't mind.

In case you don't see it - I'm trying to tell you to get over it and stop blaming your life problem on your HA.

You sho' have a big mouth and stick to the topic. Aint hard!

It's actually much easier to stop blaming your HA for your life problems than to stick to topic :lol:

you should be respect to behavior :lol: I know you are careful on watch language proper your English! you are cool that all simply!

Back