% or dB?

Oooh.. yall say 95/96.####db

I said 76 db for 50% loss... who is right?!?!!? :-|

Edit:
Oh damn...

I just recalculated my numbers...

it IS 96.9 dB!

Y'all win!!

I am NEVER using a computer calculator again!

Edit again: Just wanted to clarify, the math is right, I just was missing a zero when I did the log. Lame!

I am aroused by your logarithm calculation.

Oooh.. yall say 95/96.####db

I said 76 db for 50% loss... who is right?!?!!? :-|

Edit:
Oh damn...

I just recalculated my numbers...

it IS 96.9 dB!

Y'all win!!

I am NEVER using a computer calculator again!

Edit again: Just wanted to clarify, the math is right, I just was missing a zero when I did the log. Lame!

Woot, woot, who's da man. Too bad we didn't get to bet anything yet. :P

Example of "I am 50% deaf"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WVmWKB9xjU[/ame]

I saw this in tv with CC several years ago. It's a skit of "Lil Jon" from SNL. I'm trying to find a transcript but basically... ticket agent was asking Lil Jon a question something like - "would you like...." and Lil Jon said "what??? what???" several times and she patiently repeated her question until Lil Jon gets it. At the end - she said "Have a nice flight!" and Lil Jon said "what???". "Have a nice flight"... "what???" several times until he understood and said "yeaaa ooooookkkk!!!!" lol!

Yeah, I think there are three ways I can think of to classify "percentage of hearing loss", cause the meaning of percentage can be subjective.

a. the audi's standpoint, I read that they use another complex method to calculate it by adding two forms of calculated db's, based on all these formulas (which incorporates b formulas)

b. the change in the amount of noise that we're measuring as the test sound. Like a grenade blew up next to you, say it was 200db, what if you were wearing earplugs or ear protection at that time so it was like 100db = effectively reduced by a "50%" loss but this sounds a bit complex depending on how we're measuring it. I think that is may be why they induce those background wind noises in the testing for the audiogram.

c. what the person perceives of how much they can hear someone.. like if asked on a scale of 0-100%, how much do you feel you can hear of your given capacity?

so yeah, it's kind of subjective to what's being asked..

Woman: are you checking any luggage today, sir?
Lil Jon:.. yeah!
Woman: Did you pack the bags yourself?
Lil Jon: Yeah!
Woman: And the bags have been in your possession the whole time?
Lil Jon: WHAT?!
Woman: Have these bags been in your possession the whole time?
Woman: These bags have been in your possession the whole time?
Woman: Uh, these bags, were they in your possession the whole time?
Woman: And these bags have been in your possession the whole time?
Lil Jon: .. yeah!
Woman: All right, well, now, mr. jon, you're all set.
Lil Jon: yeaaah okay! [In soft voice]: Uh, pardon me, madam, will this be reflected upon my frequent flyer miles?
Woman: Did you book your flight online?
Lil Jon: [Shouting]: yeah!
Woman: Then they will be.
Woman: Have a nice flight.
Lil Jon: yeahhhhh! Okaaaaay!!!

Yeah, I was actually wondering about that.............

Does it help that I was frustrated at some stupid software at work and was doing the calculations while waiting for the software to work?

Does that let me off? Just an itty bitty?

I think it depends on context to some extent, and to whom you're speaking. People who have never had occasion to study hearing might not have any idea what a 20 dB loss is, or an 80 dB loss. So I can understand in casual conversation someone might say "I have a moderate loss" or "I have a 50%" loss, or whatever, just to get the general point across.

But for people who know the subject, it's more accurate to use dB. Of course complicating things is that a lot of people have more of a high-frequency loss and a lesser degree of loss in the lower frequencies, so even saying a certain dB loss doesn't mean that's necessarily true across all frequencies.

when I was younger, that was how I identified my hearing loss but since taking Audiology in grad school, I am more comfortable using the dB levels to describe my hearing.

Does it help that I was frustrated at some stupid software at work and was doing the calculations while waiting for the software to work?

Does that let me off? Just an itty bitty?

In that case I'm impressed you came on and did this for us!

BTW, still using 386's out there?

naisho & Daredevel7 - I've followed your working outs (thanks) on my Excel spreadsheet but I get 50% of 100dB as 99.67dB. What am I doing wrong?

LOG(1E+100)=100dB
LOG(1E+100/2)=99.67dB​

naisho & Daredevel7 - I've followed your working outs (thanks) on my Excel spreadsheet but I get 50% of 100dB as 99.67dB. What am I doing wrong?

LOG(1E+100)=100dB
LOG(1E+100/2)=99.67dB​

You used 100 for the log. I used 10. See my first post about 100 dB = 1E10 (or 10^10), ignoring, of course, the 76 part... ;).

Back