some hearing people still thinks....

I really hate that word too. It makes me very angry.

I know, some hearing still using word "deaf and dumb". some hearing either older and young 'Bully' made fun of Ddeaf/Hhoh and behind yelled and made a funny noise like animal, Ddeaf can't hear nothing but I heard clear with my HAs. I've been there and seen it.
(Bad experience). Also at restaurant too. (Oh, boy).

You know what? Let it go. Some hearing just can't help it. I have some hearing "Bully" did that to me when I was a kid and teenager too. One day, they realize it's bad or what they did was bad or wrong. And Karma (my other topic).

I understand you really hate that word they used. And it upset you. Me too. Like I said, some hearing just can't help it. Let them be. :)

my hearing sons were over heard other table. Teenager kids were making of us when we sign language. My sons approached them, do you have any problem with my Deaf mother? Isn't ASL bother you? Teenage kids gulped, they did not realize my sons are not Deaf. :giggle:

Afterward, they respect us.

my hearing sons were over heard other table. Teenager kids were making of us when we sign language. My sons approached them, do you have any problem with my Deaf mother? Isn't ASL bother you? Teenage kids gulped, they did not realize my sons are not Deaf. :giggle:

Afterward, they respect us.

I met a lady who had the experience just like yours. She's Deaf mom and her hearing daughter who heard it too. Oh, boy!.

those hearing people that makes or does insulting things or remarks like that are hearie ignorants......

All of these experiences is coming from a resteraunt. Do you go to the same resteraunt? Lol. But nah they shouldn't never done that. Sorry you had to experience this. It happens to most of the kids whom have disability of hearing. Being bullied throughout school years and out of school. Some people think just because we have a thing called 'disability' you can do whatever you want to them. It's like we're not humans but aliens being put on earth to be tormented by the opposing kind.

All of these experiences is coming from a resteraunt. Do you go to the same resteraunt? Lol. But nah they shouldn't never done that. Sorry you had to experience this. It happens to most of the kids whom have disability of hearing. Being bullied throughout school years and out of school. Some people think just because we have a thing called 'disability' you can do whatever you want to them. It's like we're not humans but aliens being put on earth to be tormented by the opposing kind.

I agree with that, so much!

thats ridiculous. im hearing, & i completely agree with you.

i have friends at my school, IN my asl class, & they still think that people who are deaf are like, unable to do things any other human being can do.

im not trying to look like the hero or anything, but it really makes me mad when my friends think that just because you are deaf or hard of hearing you cant do other things.

one of my hearing friends has said to me ''oh, they're deaf, they cant talk''. as in, the term ''deaf mute''.

hearing people really need to be taught that these phrases & others like them are NOT ONLY incorrect, but rude!

i hope that by continuing learning asl & becoming more involved in the deaf community i can educate some of those people such as the ones you saw at the restaurant.

i apologize for them.

I was at recycling bank (recycling the wine bottles!) not long ago, A man in his mid 50's, Normal respectable type, he said "hello", Of course i didn't hear him, then i looked at him, his mouth were moving saying "are you foregin"... I said nope. Oh right he said then said "Where were you born?". I am bred and born Londoner. He looked puzzled.... I said I speak like this because i am deaf... he looked shocked... "but i thought all deafs are dumbs" then he said "I apologise it must be very difficult for you to go deaf" proceeding to say "So what happened to you that made you go deaf" (i was expecting this question anyway!).... I said "i WAS born deaf".... he was shuttering "BU Bu BUT how can you speak if you can't hear" I said " I have common sense" then I left him with his mouth open... :jaw:

I was at recycling bank (recycling the wine bottles!) not long ago, A man in his mid 50's, Normal respectable type, he said "hello", Of course i didn't hear him, then i looked at him, his mouth were moving saying "are you foregin"... I said nope. Oh right he said then said "Where were you born?". I am bred and born Londoner. He looked puzzled.... I said I speak like this because i am deaf... he looked shocked... "but i thought all deafs are dumbs" then he said "I apologise it must be very difficult for you to go deaf" proceeding to say "So what happened to you that made you go deaf" (i was expecting this question anyway!).... I said "i WAS born deaf".... he was shuttering "BU Bu BUT how can you speak if you can't hear" I said " I have common sense" then I left him with his mouth open... :jaw:

Been there.

I think just about every (if not all) deaf person has been through this scenario encountering an ignorant person who thinks we're deaf and dumb. I've been through this more than once.

It used to peeve me off when I was younger and I'd get angry at them when they're passing a snide remark. Of course, the anger didn't help one iota.

So, now these days, I've took it to a different approach. For instance, when I am at a restaurant with a deaf friend, signing away in ASL and when they're mocking or staring at us in an offensive manner - This is when I smile and say "Hello, How's it going?". That usually puts them in a confused state. It's quite funny seeing their facial expression when they're about to expect a reaction but it isn't the one that they're expecting. :lol:

People who pry on deaf people anywhere - we get used to them, we understand that they are very curious, but for some - it can be rude, indeed. But the funny side of the story, my interpreter told me this.

My interpreter was talking to his client, and he noticed someone was watching them when they converse in sign language in a rude awkward position(AUSLAN ofc) and the interpreter turned around to him - "What are you looking at?" then the man heard the interpreter saying that, he stipped in his tracks then whisked away quickily like nothing happened. That guy got owned.

if someone is rude about our deafness, I'd walk to them - as a deaf person - and say "Do you have a problem?" with my voice on and use my sign language at the same time. That'll make them drop their jaw and understand that deaf people CAN talk - such as overthepond said 'common sense' and this member of AD is right. We do have common sense.

Deaf people CAN do ANYTHING, execpt can't hear. Nothing's wrong with that. We have eyes and we ain't dumb. End of story.

People who pry on deaf people anywhere - we get used to them, we understand that they are very curious, but for some - it can be rude, indeed. But the funny side of the story, my interpreter told me this.

My interpreter was talking to his client, and he noticed someone was watching them when they converse in sign language in a rude awkward position(AUSLAN ofc) and the interpreter turned around to him - "What are you looking at?" then the man heard the interpreter saying that, he stipped in his tracks then whisked away quickily like nothing happened. That guy got owned.

if someone is rude about our deafness, I'd walk to them - as a deaf person - and say "Do you have a problem?" with my voice on and use my sign language at the same time. That'll make them drop their jaw and understand that deaf people CAN talk - such as overthepond said 'common sense' and this member of AD is right. We do have common sense.

Deaf people CAN do ANYTHING, execpt can't hear. Nothing's wrong with that. We have eyes and we ain't dumb. End of story.

Yay Jake!

So, now these days, I've took it to a different approach. For instance, when I am at a restaurant with a deaf friend, signing away in ASL and when they're mocking or staring at us in an offensive manner - This is when I smile and say "Hello, How's it going?". That usually puts them in a confused state. It's quite funny seeing their facial expression when they're about to expect a reaction but it isn't the one that they're expecting. :lol:

Good tactic, Jolie! :lol:

Thanks for your input, AD'ers - Our eyes are very valuable to us. :)

I've been in that kind of situation many times before.

When I was working at a local grocery store (when I was in high school), a customer approached me and asked me something. She actually started talking as soon as I looked at her, so I wasn't ready to "listen". I asked her to repeat and she did. After I told her where the product was, she asked me what country I was from. I was like, "Eh? What do you mean?" She said that since I didn't understand her right away, she thought English was not my first language. I told her that I was deaf. She was startled... "Oh, you're deaf? But... you can talk!" :roll:

It's amazing how many people, when hearing someone speak another language or seeing people sign, will just assume that they cannot understand/hear, and either make rude commants or (more often) just talk as if the people aren't there. Once I was sitting with some people at a restaurant, at the next table was a bunch of older German people. A woman at our table started going off about a woman's earrings, how they were horrible looking and the woman had no taste. A few minutes later the woman turned around and in perfect English, said "Listen b____, English is my first langage." The look on her face was priceless. :) And I know she learned her lesson!

Back