Can someone deaf receive SS/SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabr5

Reaction score
I am deaf and it just happened in 2006. I signed up for social security disability about 5 months ago. I had to quit my job because I was having a hard time performing it...I was a preschool teacher. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time and getting my hopes up if someone who is deaf can't get it. This is a serious question and please don't bash it! I was told a deaf person could get it but, I haven't heard anything from them in 5 months. Is this normal?

I am deaf and I waited about 6 months before they approved it. I got my first check within a few weeks after that.

I am deaf and I recieved SSDI checks

I received SSI when I was 16 years old, until I came to Detroit at age of 19 and filed for SSI benefits but found out I still have the SSI and changed my address, and later, My Parents gave me their SSDI accts since until now, I get no more SSI, bec it sucks! LOL

Right now, I am looking for pt. time job and keep my SSDI until I retire...I guess...:-\

If you have part time job, SS will leave the SSDI to You unless you have any future changes....like over time, quit, or earnings over 40 hours or over it'll stop....??

I can't wait to get back on my feet and work again....sheesh....boring @ home and sitting around , I didn't like it and sitting around isn't good for me bec of my dang weight! Dang! *sobs* lolz

Did you try contacting them again?

I'm severely HOH (born that way) and have chronic pain since 2003. I've worked in the past up 'til 4 yrs ago. It takes about 6 months to get a first check.

I prefer to work instead of sitting with ass fucking lazy on the couch. Deaf people who are good healthy physical and mental, they should go to WORK !!

Waste of government money on the Deaf people who do not want to work.

opinionated

I prefer to work instead of sitting with ass fucking lazy on the couch. Deaf people who are good healthy physical and mental, they should go to WORK !!

Waste of government money on the Deaf people who do not want to work.

I am not lazy! I have worked ever since I was able to legally have a paying job. I am a teacher and I could no longer understand what my kids were saying and they couldn't understand me because my speech also messed up when I lost my hearing. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting disability until someone can better themselves. I would like to learn sign language, maybe have a cochlear implant, go back to college and be an interpreter. To my understanding that is what it is there for. I've read your quotes on other threads putting people down who get it...you shouldn't be so judgemental. Be glad you can work! Let God handle the rest!

Did you try contacting them again?

No, but maybe I should? My application for social security was a month ago. I figured that if I was approved I would heard by now. Is no news good news right now?

Thanks for the reply

I received SSI when I was 16 years old, until I came to Detroit at age of 19 and filed for SSI benefits but found out I still have the SSI and changed my address, and later, My Parents gave me their SSDI accts since until now, I get no more SSI, bec it sucks! LOL

Right now, I am looking for pt. time job and keep my SSDI until I retire...I guess...:-\

If you have part time job, SS will leave the SSDI to You unless you have any future changes....like over time, quit, or earnings over 40 hours or over it'll stop....??

I can't wait to get back on my feet and work again....sheesh....boring @ home and sitting around , I didn't like it and sitting around isn't good for me bec of my dang weight! Dang! *sobs* lolz

Thanks for the reply. Sorry things haven't been going to well for you. Hope it gets straightened out soon!:fingersx: I would say that most people are on this for the medical? I know that would help me a great deal! Good luck!

I am not lazy! I have worked ever since I was able to legally have a paying job. I am a teacher and I could no longer understand what my kids were saying and they couldn't understand me because my speech also messed up when I lost my hearing. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting disability until someone can better themselves. I would like to learn sign language, maybe have a cochlear implant, go back to college and be an interpreter. To my understanding that is what it is there for. I've read your quotes on other threads putting people down who get it...you shouldn't be so judgemental. Be glad you can work! Let God handle the rest!

I am profoundly Deaf. I do not feel sorry for myself. I went to college to get my degree. I had been single mom of two sons for years. I work 80 to 120 hours week with two jobs and sub Residental Advisor at The Learning Center for the Deaf. I almost never at home. I have to support two sons's college tuition. I am so sick of seeing more and more Deaf people rather stay home and stay up late to collect our government money. They did not try very hard to look for the job. They are very brilliant and good healthy.

I know several of couple who live with their boyfriends make over 80K. Mother with several children collect SSDI over 1,400 dollars a month. It makes me extremley furious. The government never recongize those mothers with children live with their boyfriend who make good salary.

You do not need to get cochlear implant. Just learn sign language, if you social more Deaf people. You will pick up really fast in ASL. Be alert, social security office would not support cochlear implant or hard of hearing on ssi or ssdi. I heard, there is new law for the Deaf people who apply social security. One disability Deaf will not acceptable. If there is more than one disability (cant hear or speak) will not get ssi or ssdi.

I am very disappointed in thousand Deaf people who are not trying very hard to fight themselves with Federal Government and Private Instrities to promotion their positions. They just sit back and feel sorry for themselves.

Our speak up have not fight since 1950's to now. Why can't we fight ourselves to prove ourselves that we can do!!! Hearing people look down at us because we can't do anything. That is bull-shit. It is time to STOP to feeling sorry for ourselves because we can't hear.

FIGHT OURSELVES PROVE WE CAN DO !!!

Thanks

I am deaf and I waited about 6 months before they approved it. I got my first check within a few weeks after that.

Maybe I just need to wait a little longer. It's just really tough on my husband. We are barely making it financially. I keep telling myself God will provide:fingersx: . April 7th will be 6 months. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Sorry

I am profoundly Deaf. I do not feel sorry for myself. I went to college to get my degree. I had been single mom of two sons for years. I work 80 to 120 hours week with two jobs and sub Residental Advisor at The Learning Center for the Deaf. I almost never at home. I have to support two sons's college tuition. I am so sick of seeing more and more Deaf people rather stay home and stay up late to collect our government money. They did not try very hard to look for the job. They are very brilliant and good healthy.

I know several of couple who live with their boyfriends make over 80K. Mother with several children collect SSDI over 1,400 dollars a month. It makes me extremley furious. The government never recongize those mothers with children live with their boyfriend who make good salary.

You do not need to get cochlear implant. Just learn sign language, if you social more Deaf people. You will pick up really fast in ASL. Be alert, social security office would not support cochlear implant or hard of hearing on ssi or ssdi. I heard, there is new law for the Deaf people who apply social security. One disability Deaf will not acceptable. If there is more than one disability (cant hear or speak) will not get ssi or ssdi.

I am very disappointed in thousand Deaf people who are not trying very hard to fight themselves with Federal Government and Private Instrities to promotion their positions. They just sit back and feel sorry for themselves.

Our speak up have not fight since 1950's to now. Why can't we fight ourselves to prove ourselves that we can do!!! Hearing people look down at us because we can't do anything. That is bull-shit. It is time to STOP to feeling sorry for ourselves because we can't hear.

FIGHT OURSELVES PROVE WE CAN DO !!!
You have some really good points. I am sorry you have to work so hard to make it in this world. At the time of my hardship, I saw no other way. I feel like my family is falling apart. We can't communicate. I felt that staying at home, my children would benefit from it...maybe having the time off we could learn ASL together. I am looking for deaf people in my area. There is a group that meet at the mall here and I'm going to try to go. I will be lost as I still don't know how to communicate.

I'm sorry, I did not understand about what you were saying about CI. My brothers all want me to have it. I realy miss my 4 year olds voice!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off so rude!

atabr5..

6 months is normal waiting period for SS or SSI.. some people get lucky to get it early, but for the most part it takes 6 months. And I'd suggest doing research on CI's.. but learning ASL would probubly benefit you as well. Remember that CI's are not a magic solution. They can work.. but like some people have posted in other threads, they can stop working due to other problems in the ear that were unexpected.

If you learn ASL, maybe you could get a job at the local deaf school. that way you're putting your teaching degree to good use, just an idea to consider :) I saw that you said you were teaching preschool, so i thought I'd offer that suggestion. Hope it works out for you.

If you are familiar with vocal thry experience, then you may choice hearing aids as limited vocal to recognition or CI for more beyond than aids.

I wanted to post earlier, but I felt nervous in doing so before others had posted.

As has been stated, you shouldn't try and get ssi. Why? Because you're fully capable of working. If you must insist being Deaf is a disability, you're only setting yourself up to be treated as "broken" or "incapable" for the rest of your life. Learn asl. Look into teaching positions at a local Deaf school, or see if you can't get an interpreter at your usual school? Losing your hearing doesn't mean you suddenly have to go ahead and change all the life choices you made. You were a teacher, you are a teacher, and deafness should not be the factor that changes that.

Everyone brought up some good points about a CI- you can browse the forums that more relate to that topic.

What I'm trying to do

I wanted to post earlier, but I felt nervous in doing so before others had posted.

As has been stated, you shouldn't try and get ssi. Why? Because you're fully capable of working. If you must insist being Deaf is a disability, you're only setting yourself up to be treated as "broken" or "incapable" for the rest of your life. Learn asl. Look into teaching positions at a local Deaf school, or see if you can't get an interpreter at your usual school? Losing your hearing doesn't mean you suddenly have to go ahead and change all the life choices you made. You were a teacher, you are a teacher, and deafness should not be the factor that changes that.

Everyone brought up some good points about a CI- you can browse the forums that more relate to that topic.

I know that I need to learn ASL and I intend to. My family depended on the income that I had. I could no longer do my job in a hearing atmosphere. I need ssi or ss or whatever it is to keep my family going until I learn the language. I'm sure that it takes time and time is what I don't have without some sort of income. Most of the people I find on here has been deaf all their life. I am 37 and it just happened. I need time to adjust as does my family. We aren't on the same page anymore...example: "Mom can't hear so I can say and do what I want." My 9 year old told me that my 12 year old says things like this. I have been "injured". If you were injured on a job, don't you collect workman's comp? or if the job closed and you couldn't find work for a while; wouldn't you need help? That's all I am considering this, a set back in my life and I need some help while I grieve and go on with my new life. Does any of this make sense?

No, but maybe I should? My application for social security was a month ago. I figured that if I was approved I would heard by now. Is no news good news right now?

Social Security is famous for dragging things out longer than should be necessary. Call them back. If they give you a time when you should have a decision, and you still haven't heard anything, call them again. Keep calling until they get tired of hearing from you, and find the paperwork that is just sitting on someone's desk, and process it. Since you have worked in the past, and paid into social security with each paycheck you received, this is your money that you are entitled to. They will try to put you off until you get so frustrated that you just give up. Don't allow them to do that to you. If you have to, be rude about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back