I'd like to learn French Sign Language

Giulia

Reaction score
Hi everybody
As I told in my introduction, I am an oralist person and I have learnt foreign languages. I'd like to learn FSL (French Sign Language) in order to have the possibility to babysit deaf and hoh children.
The usual problem is.... money !!!!!!! Eeeee yes, I study Italian and don't have much money (and I have a lot of fees due to medical cares). So I thought of exchanging babysitting against lessons. Do you think it's a good idea ?

Thanks in advance
Giulia

Hi everybody
As I told in my introduction, I am an oralist person and I have learnt foreign languages. I'd like to learn FSL (French Sign Language) in order to have the possibility to babysit deaf and hoh children.
The usual problem is.... money !!!!!!! Eeeee yes, I study Italian and don't have much money (and I have a lot of fees due to medical cares). So I thought of exchanging babysitting against lessons. Do you think it's a good idea ?

Thanks in advance
Giulia

Sounds like an innovative way for both to receive services they want. Go for it!

Thanks Jillo :) I have put an ad on a French deaf website :) Wait and see ;)

Sorry to interrupt, I have not heard of French Sign Language before, but LSF (langue des signes française).

Langue des Signes Francais translated into English is French Sign Langauge.

Not cool.
We should use LSF instead of FSL.
They call Americans as ASL, not Langue des Signes Americain (LSA). :cool:

Not cool.

That's because the langauge used in America is English and in English you say American Sign Language. The language used in France is French and so they say Langue des Signes Francais. When you translate French to English, as this poster did (because she is from France), she translated it into English. If she had made her post in French, how many members of this board would have been able to read it? If she were to say American Sign Language in French, she would say Langue des Signes Americacain.

It is the same thing as translating ASL into English. We don't write "Store go". when putting ASL into English. We say or write, "I am going to the store." It is the same when translating any other language.

Hi Jillio
Not only I quote you, but I'd like to add that in French, we don't have an acronym for the ASL. So we say "Langue des Signes Américaine".

Hi Jillio
Not only I quote you, but I'd like to add that in French, we don't have an acronym for the ASL. So we say "Langue des Signes Américaine".

Right. English speakers are known for making up acronyms for everything! Not so in other languages.

We have an acronym in French only for the LSF, but for the other languages, we say "Langue des signes ..." (... are for the language)

we say LSQ for the sign language used in quebec...we use the signs from LSF for thier cities, and well and try to incorporate each language into ASL when referring to cities in their respective countries....i dont see why we simplify it to FSL. It propagates the idea that every sign language is (insert country here) sign language.

its like calling Auslan, australian sign language...drives me nuts.

we say LSQ for the sign language used in quebec...we use the signs from LSF for thier cities, and well and try to incorporate each language into ASL when referring to cities in their respective countries....i dont see why we simplify it to FSL. It propagates the idea that every sign language is (insert country here) sign language.

its like calling Auslan, australian sign language...drives me nuts.

She didn't simplify it to FSL, she simply translated the French Langue des Francais to the English equivilent, French Sign Language. She didn't use an acronym at all, but rather translated the phrase that the acronym stands for. English and French have different syntaxes. Literally, the translation would be Language Sign of the French. Doesn't make much sense in English, though, due to the differences in syntax between the languages.

When I was talking to a (hearing) French person about my job I used "langue des signes américaine" because that's what made sense to her. Meanwhile if I'm talking to someone who doesn't know about sign language, if I say "LSF" or "langue des signes française" they aren't going to have a clue about what I mean. Just yesterday I was telling someone about how ASL is partly derived from "French sign language."

I think we can all agree different terminology can be used in different situations. In the community, yes it's nice to use countries' own terms for their languages. Here, the OP was trying to be as clear as possible for us (a good idea on a message board) and instead she got attitude. Unnecessary.

I think we can all agree different terminology can be used in different situations. In the community, yes it's nice to use countries' own terms for their languages. Here, the OP was trying to be as clear as possible for us (a good idea on a message board) and instead she got attitude. Unnecessary.
What do you mean ????? :O

What do you mean ????? :O

She meant the poster that replied to your question with the statement theat saying French Sign Language was not cool, even after it was explained that you were do so only to make your post very clear. The intent of your thread was ignored, and the question was not answered. Instead, your wording was picked apart. Very rude behavior.

Thanks Jillio for your explanation :)

I agree with you, this is a very rude behaviour :/

Not cool.

yeaaah, I agree. I would say "LSF"
our country German is "DGS" ---> "Deutsche Gebaerdensprache" ;)

Hi Giulia,
Were you going at Reims/ France last year?
look in website

WebSourd : Festival Clin d'Oeil 07 <--- you can look down and this have more movie.
Have fun!

Back