florida deaf community?

zookeeper4321

I'm moving to FL soon w/4 kids. G- is HOH. I found a deaf Montessori school in Clearwater. There is also an oral deaf school in Jacksonville besides the state school d/b. Would love to hear from Floridians as I have lived in my state 36y and know no one if Fl

zookeeper4321 said:
I'm moving to FL soon w/4 kids. G- is HOH. I found a deaf Montessori school in Clearwater. There is also an oral deaf school in Jacksonville besides the state school d/b. Would love to hear from Floridians as I have lived in my state 36y and know no one if Fl

Welcome, another soon-to-be new Floridans!

Montessori Blossom School f/t Deaf isnt free. . . but you can request and apply for grant. . . that's what I've heard. .

I'm one of those Tampa Bay people. . Yea there's plenty of them. . Sometimes they'd be in Deaf clubs, hiding out at home having a private life, going to church, in colleges, etc. .

We do have a call center for sorensonvrs cuz there's been a high number of people with vp here so they set up a sorenson call center here. .

FSD has dorms. . Montessori Blossom doesnt. . Montessori Blossom is still new so I dont really have any opinion to say about it right now.

I grad from FSD '97 so its still a good school -- just wouldnt recommend the dorms until your child is old enough to decide and knowing what to do. . Its 4 to 6 hours on a charter bus to and from FSd on weekends to Tampa Bay area. . I've seen enough elementary school kids homesick every Sunday and excited to go home every Friday to decide if my Deaf daughter goes to FSD, we're moving up there. . .

Orlando has a decent amount of deaf ppl in the community. My gf sis goes to FSD so were always in St.Aug. Besides the fact that I recently transfered to Flagler College for deaf education because we get to intern @ FSD. I dont know to much about the deaf community in the tampa/st.pete area even though I am there almost every other weekend.. My gf has told me that where she grew up in N.Fla there was VERY LIL deaf people. So I would avoid N.Fla (Panhandle, Tally area).

stuff

fsd isnt all that great. every year they just add more rules making it more of a prison and such. i was lucky to get out when i did last year. unless you're gonna break some rules and be a rebel like i was then you're just gonna live in seclusion and boredom.

florida doesnt have anything cool that i know of... if anyone knows anything around orlando area hit it up, ill def come and chill

I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I am ASL 1 student and am in need of meeting a deaf person for about an hour. However, it has to be later at night since I work full time. I really want to get into the deaf community but so far it has been so hard. Any suggestions?

Bum12FU said:
fsd isnt all that great. every year they just add more rules making it more of a prison and such. i was lucky to get out when i did last year. unless you're gonna break some rules and be a rebel like i was then you're just gonna live in seclusion and boredom.

florida doesnt have anything cool that i know of... if anyone knows anything around orlando area hit it up, ill def come and chill
I've been to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and I had that same experience, too, over at McWilliams Dormitory (sp?). During 2000-2001, if I'm exempted from study hall, I can play video games in the office. But, during 12th grade, I can't because they added the rules in the dormitory. Made me feel like I'm in prison instead of a dorm. But at the Daytona Beach Rehabilitation Center for the Blind (not for the deaf), this is different as there's no study hall; thus, gave me less feeling that I'm in prison. The rules don't get added overtime. So my experience at Daytona Beach Rehabilitation Center contrasts that of Florida School for the Deaf and Blind.

GraysonPeddie said:
I've been to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and I had that same experience, too, over at McWilliams Dormitory (sp?). During 2000-2001, if I'm exempted from study hall, I can play video games in the office. But, during 12th grade, I can't because they added the rules in the dormitory. Made me feel like I'm in prison instead of a dorm.
You sissies got it easy! You've been molly-coddled all throughout in the dorms in recent years! ;)

I attended FSD in the 1980's and lived in the dormitories. For starters, we actually stayed on campus during the weekends! What fun, and was easily the best part of our school experience.

Oh- We actually had to clean everything on our plate, whether we liked the food or not. (I think FSD stopped this practice in early 1980's though.) Corporal punishment was freely dispensed. (Ok, not that much, ha. Again, FSD stopped this in the early 1980's, too.) The houseparents actually taught us the basics on Home Economics before the educational side of things picked up the baton. And then, there's the resident bullies to navigate around in the daily scheme of things!

FSD always had rules in the dormitories ever since they've opened, and will continue to do so now and in the future. Rules are all about safety, promoting solid social and cultural values, and managing the student population. Even parents have rules for their school-aged children in their own homes.

To each of their own, I guess. Even then, back when I was a student, I've had a couple of students remarking to me about their dorm experience as being equal to living in a prison. I couldn't think of a more 'liberating' place to live in, where I'm allowed to grow, develop social skills, and otherwise become a better person. I have life-long friends from my FSD days because of living in dorms 24/7 & 30 days at a time, and for that, I am extremely thankful.

Eyeth, is Debra Boles working at FSD, that you know of? I often wonder how she is doing, health-wise.

Tousi said:
Eyeth, is Debra Boles working at FSD, that you know of? I often wonder how she is doing, health-wise.
Not that I know of. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Hello everyone. I have been searching all over. Kind of new in Florida. If anyone point way can be glad. Want to meet other deaf people close by at least. So, let me know if anyone know. Thank you very much

wolfleopard
i am deaf and i am in dothan , al lokking to find deaf people to hang out with, I am 51 and a male, just friends

Northeast Deaf Professional Happy Hour in Saint Augustine, Florida

North East Florida Deaf Professional Happy Hour

Spread the word to everyone!

I heard of it. But I was told that some of them didn't order drinks or nothing at all where they gathered at last time. Some were embarrassed of those people who didn't pay any drink using the place. That's wrong. It ain't even new like before where we and others did go to other deaf coffee at other places.

So you better encourage them to do that to make the place owner happy and worth as his or her host using their place or they will bump you like others did before. They look for FREE only as always, gee. Buy a drink or two doesn't cost you or them individually that much.

Trust me I wouldn't go there yet till I hear it improves then I probably will attend.

I was told about Deaf Senior Citizten Conference will be host in Orlando, Fla April 9 to 15th, 2007. Age 50 is welcome to attend that the conference. It would be interesting to meet SC people to share their experience.

I am not reach 50ish age yet... I am thinking about go the conference.

I heard of it. But I was told that some of them didn't order drinks or nothing at all where they gathered at last time. Some were embarrassed of those people who didn't pay any drink using the place. That's wrong. It ain't even new like before where we and others did go to other deaf coffee at other places.

So you better encourage them to do that to make the place owner happy and worth as his or her host using their place or they will bump you like others did before. They look for FREE only as always, gee. Buy a drink or two doesn't cost you or them individually that much.

Trust me I wouldn't go there yet till I hear it improves then I probably will attend.

There is not required to drink. It's for socialize time and meeting new friends about deaf community.

There is not required to drink. It's for socialize time and meeting new friends about deaf community.

You really sent a poor message here saying that it's not required to drink wherever they gather at (aka at Starbucks or someplace like a sports bar). Maybe so but I'm just saying that they should appreciate by ordering at least a drink or two for using their place.

Free is sometime expensive for the place owners using up their space where their paying customers may need seats or some space to share with at least but deafies using up their space that chopping up their profits.

From my experience I have seen a plenty of deafies not paying anything using up their space where many deafies gathers like coffee places in Jax and other places in the past. Those gatherings were stopped cold by the place owners because they didn't order anything. It's pretty much like soliciting to the place owners. It showed no respect on the part of those gatherings who never bother to order anything. Very often they did order little out of many in numbers at times. Not so good.

If you want to keep it running, simply spread word to them at least ordering a drink or little something as exchange for using up their place(s). It's as important that they overlooked. A drink costs you between $1.00 to $2.50... come on. I don't complain but rather advise so. It would create much less problems later on unlike they had before.

ohsoez doesn't list any upcoming events happening in Florida whatsoever. Just some old dates that have come and gone. Anything happening in the next few days?

I fly out there (Ft Lauderdale) for a wedding tomorrow and will be staying for a few days. I'm bringing my free-diving gear and maybe my kiteboarding gear. Does anybody over there kiteboard or free-dive? I'd also like to visit the Everglades.

-Aquaman

Back