AT&T Imposing 150GB Data Cap for DSL Customers Starting May 2

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
T&T on Sunday confirmed that it will impose a 150GB data cap for its DSL customers, effective May 2.
Users who exceed 150GB will be charged $10 for ever additional 50GB they consume. The company said that less than 2 percent of its customers will be affected; the average DSL customer user about 18GB per month.
"We are committed to providing a great experience for all of our Internet customers. Less than 2 percent of our Internet customers could be impacted by this approach - those who are using a disproportionate amount of bandwidth," AT&T said in a statement. "We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges."
AT&T said it will notify customers when they have exceeded 60 percent, 90 percent, and 100 percent of their monthly data allowance. The provider will also provide access to a usage report as well as tools like a usage calculator and examples of the kind of activity that will eat up data.
The data caps were first reported by DSL Reports, which said that U-Verse high-speed Internet customers will have a 250GB cap, which AT&T also confirmed.
Reports of a 150GB data cap for AT&T customers dates back to 2008. At that point, AT&T kicked off a test for new customers in Reno, Nevada, allowing them to use between 20GB and 150GB of bandwidth per month depending on their speed tier.
That came one month after Comcast announced that all its residential customers would be subject to a 250GB per month data limit. Comcast had come under fire in 2007 for cutting off service to customers who consumed a large amount of bandwidth but refusing to provide those customers with information on how much bandwidth they were able to use. That led to accusations of Comcast cutting off access to P2P services like BitTorrent, an FCC enforcement action, and a net neutrality debate that continues today.
That year, Time Warner Cable also experimented with bandwidth caps, but a public backlash prompted the provider to scrap the test in April 2009. Time Warner took some heat because its caps were relatively low – between 5GB and 40GB. The company eventually announced it would also offer a 100GB "super tier" and unlimited service for $150 per month, but by then, Congress was already up in arms and interest groups were circulating online petitions against the caps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20110313/tc_zd/261773http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20110313/tc_zd/261773

How many hours per month at 384k in using videophone on 150GB data plan limited?

Damn, I hate data cap for DSL and cable, also republicans in the House blocked net neutrality. :(
http://www.slashgear.com/fcc-net-neutrality-proposal-blocked-10139184/

But for mobile phone, I don't care because their data can be easily congested in heavily traffic, however cable is in same situation but it won't be problem if cable companies put extra node to rid of slowdown internet due to share with different neighbors. DSL has dedicated line and no one can share your DSL line so you get full speed, depending on how far is DSLAM or telephone office.

if use videophone such as SVP-200. It would be about 350 MBytes per hours.

If we keep steady at hour per day for one month. That would be about 10GBytes a month. I don't see the problem. 2 hours per day? 20 GBytes per month.

I play Call of Duty Black OPS online and I wonder how many MB/s per one game (average 6 minutes)? :hmm:

All cellphone companies will be imposing limits. Thanks to the Apple cult people hogging up the lines. Thanks a lot Apple/Iphoney

All cellphone companies will be imposing limits. Thanks to the Apple cult people hogging up the lines. Thanks a lot Apple/Iphoney

That's not true.

This thread is about DSL, not cell phone network.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

PowerON said:
if use videophone such as SVP-200. It would be about 350 MBytes per hours.

If we keep steady at hour per day for one month. That would be about 10GBytes a month. I don't see the problem. 2 hours per day? 20 GBytes per month.

How abt 8 hours a day lol

Back